Worried to death!!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Worried to death!!!

Postby Tel1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi All

Some of you may remember I said about my current GP not believing me about my previous GP and Rheumatologist
who diagnosed me with Fibro..... I kept going to see this current GP and I kept saying to him about the aches and
pains etc etc and he just sat there looking at me and said Hmmmm!! Ok I going to send you for more blood tests
for inflammation aches pains etc.... I phoned the surgery yesterday and they said all was fine with those blood tests
but today I had a letter on my door map when I got home saying, that the GP wants to see me as and when... I of course
thought oh god... NOW what? I phoned the lady who deals with the blood test results and I asked what is about... she had
a look and said to me that it is one of the tests that came back borderline... something to do with anti nuclear result as part
of the rest of the blood tests or something like that...so now I am worried what it could be? She said the doctors are all busy today with no slots left, so that she would get him to phone me tomorrow....but of course I am worrying thinking what the hell does that mean? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Any thoughts on that anyone? I wont be able to go to sleep tonight..... thanks all :-?
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: Worried to death!!!

Postby Lindilou » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:22 pm

I found this on a web site, can find the site again - lost it but here goes -

I did a search so I've copied and pasted this from the search results

Antinuclear Antibody Test: Learn About Test Results
www.medicinenet.com › ... › arthritis az list › antinuclear antibody index
19 Feb 2014 - Read about antinuclear antibodies (ANAs), unusual antibodies that can bind to certain structures within the nucleus of the cells, are found in ...

Medical Author:
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

What are antinuclear antibodies?

We normally have antibodies in our blood that repel invaders in our bodies, such as virus and bacteria microbes. Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) are unusual antibodies, detectable in the blood, that have the capability of binding to certain structures within the nucleus of the cells. The nucleus is the innermost core within the body's cells and contains the DNA, the primary genetic material. ANAs are found in patients whose immune system may be predisposed to cause inflammation against their own body tissues. Antibodies that are directed against one's own tissues are referred to as auto-antibodies. The propensity for the immune system to work against its own body is referred to as autoimmunity. ANAs indicate the possible presence of autoimmunity and provide, therefore, an indication for doctors to consider the possibility of autoimmune illness.

How is the ANA test designed? What is it for?

The ANA test was designed by Dr. George Friou in 1957. The ANA test is performed using a blood sample. The antibodies in the serum of the blood are exposed in the laboratory to cells. It is then determined whether or not antibodies are present that react to various parts of the nucleus of cells. Thus, the term anti-"nuclear" antibody. Fluorescence techniques are frequently used to actually detect the antibodies in the cells, thus ANA testing is sometimes referred to as fluorescent antinuclear antibody test (FANA). The ANA test is a sensitive screening test used to detect autoimmune diseases.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Lindilou on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindilou

Postby Dragonz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I would have panicked a bit too, but i have just googled it and its to do with a :
The test is used predominantly to help diagnose systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and drug-induced SLE-like syndrome but may also be positive in cases of scleroderma, Sjögren’s syndrome, Raynaud’s disease, juvenile chronic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, autoimmune hepatitis, polymyositis and many other autoimmune and non-autoimmune diseases.
I know its easy for me to say but please dont worry xx
Dragonz
UKFM Newbie

Postby stephdawn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Tel1. Sorry to here that you are so worried. I will admit that I haven't googled or looked this up but if I can just say 1 thing. Please try not to worry as this sort of thing happened to me and I had to wait over night :yikes: :yikes: . But once I spoke to the nurse and the DR they both said that if it was an a result to really worry about they would have called me in the day of my results in an emergency appointment. I know this may not help. There is one thing that I would suggest that my DR has suggested when I've been stressed like yourself is either take an extra sleeping tablet or an extra diazepam or an extra pain killer. Take care my lovely. And if you don't mind let me know how you get on. :teddy-bear: xxxxx
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Don't worry especially as it's borderline, some of these tests are extremely sensitive and it could even be if they repeated it today it'd come back normal, I've had that happen to me before.

Try not to worry and just see what the Dr has to say.

Chin up
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks all for responses.. I just hope it is nothing mega :yikes: :yikes:

I don't feel ill or anything, but then people with early cancer don't either... so I just thought oh Christ NOW what :yikes:
I just went to the doctors and just told him about my aching arms and tingling slight stabbing ache etc like we all have
from time to time with Fibro.. which my current GP doesn't believe in even though the previous GP and the Rheumatologist confirmed
I do have Fibro... so this current GP said to me..... Fibromyalgia!! Hmmmm well:))) he said that is when doctors and consultants
don't know what is wrong with people so they say it is fibro....So he said last week I will send you for this blood test and see...
and of course this has now appeared... so I am worried still, but trying not to worry, if it is a autoimmune disorder, will that
kill me? or have terrible consequence's?? :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi hon, I have lupus as well as fibro, try not to worry, it's similar to fibro in some ways, you would just need some current meds, sometimes I'm glad I have lupus too as like your current gp many are les than understanding.

Sending love and luck for you, try to sleep it's really not a scary blood result xxx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks to all for the replies... I am trying not to worry too much....but I have been tested for nearly everything on the NHS:))
and now this?:) :yikes: so I just thought, oh GOD here we go my luck is running out:)) but hopefully please GOD I will be alright.

I read a book ages ago saying that some people with Fibro have autoimmune , but they have never said this to me before,
so perhaps I am getting worse on the inside and this is why I have had this come back as borderline? ( whatever that means)
The GP didn't phone me, he wrote to me instead... so I thought that was odd as well, which made me think that it was
something mega. I am just praying I will be alright:)! :(

Also today I went for another heart scan because I made the GP send me......I had extensive heart tests done before and
they were alright thankfully, but now on top of this blood test result I am worrying about that as well....what a state I
get myself into.....By the way, does Lupus kill you or anything like that? I know Lady Ga Ga has that, but she was on stage
a few days ago performing with Queen and Adam Lambert....so I thought perhaps she is doing al she can before Lupus gets
to her..... :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Tel1 wrote:Thanks to all for the replies... I am trying not to worry too much....but I have been tested for nearly everything on the NHS:))
and now this?:) :yikes: so I just thought, oh GOD here we go my luck is running out:)) but hopefully please GOD I will be alright.

I read a book ages ago saying that some people with Fibro have autoimmune , but they have never said this to me before,
so perhaps I am getting worse on the inside and this is why I have had this come back as borderline? ( whatever that means)
The GP didn't phone me, he wrote to me instead... so I thought that was odd as well, which made me think that it was
something mega. I am just praying I will be alright:)! :(

Also today I went for another heart scan because I made the GP send me......I had extensive heart tests done before and
they were alright thankfully, but now on top of this blood test result I am worrying about that as well....what a state I
get myself into.....By the way, does Lupus kill you or anything like that? I know Lady Ga Ga has that, but she was on stage
a few days ago performing with Queen and Adam Lambert....so I thought perhaps she is doing al she can before Lupus gets
to her..... :yikes:

Noooo, lupus is not fatal :) As zoomie says, it has a lot of the same symptoms as fibro, it is just another chronic condition that can be managed. My rheumatologist was going down the lupus diagnosis route but then when my blood test came back negative, he went for fibro instead...doesn't seem very scientific to me :P

Honestly, don't worry. It is possible to have false positives in blood tests ie it comes back that there is something wrong but it turns out not to be anything... And if it was something very serious that needed prompt attention, your GP would have phoned you. The fact that he wrote to you tells me it is a routine thing that needs further investigation, but certainly nothing to panic about.

Let us know how you get on :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:01 pm

As far as I know, fibromyalgia is an autoimmune illness therefore it isn't surprising that your tests show up something to do with autoimmune problems. Perhaps this will persuade your GP you have fibromyalgia.
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:10 pm

It used to be lumped in with arthritis hence the auto immune classification but no one knows what causes it so it can't be classed as an autoimmune disorder
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Beccie42 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm certain that fibro is autoimmune. It has too much in common with other autoimmune conditions for it not to be. My family seem to have a history of autoimmune issues but none are the same. I know they say there is no genetic link but i'm not convinced. I highly doubt there is anything you need to worry about. Fibro, arthritis, lupus etc are more of a pain in the ass (pardon the pun) than fatal. And like others have said, they would have called you in the same day if it was anything serious. Stay positive and dont worry.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks to ALL who got back to me:))) I feel a little more relaxed now :sleep:
But when you get things come up like this, you naturally think... oh GOD...now what? :yikes:

Hopefully my GP will now kind of be warmed into believing that the previous GP and the Rheumatologist got it right
when they diagnosis me with Fibro in Dec 2012..... I will let you guys know what happens tomorrow... hopefully fingers
crossed I will be alright, but then I kept thinking, if it was nothing, then why did the GP write to me asking me to
come in? That was and still is worrying me a bit.... Thanks to all for your replies.... Forgot to say that a producer of a
national radio station got in touch me about going on the show talking about Fibro.... if this happens, then I will let
you all know.... ;-)
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:17 am

Beccie42 wrote:I'm certain that fibro is autoimmune. It has too much in common with other autoimmune conditions for it not to be. My family seem to have a history of autoimmune issues but none are the same. I know they say there is no genetic link but i'm not convinced. I highly doubt there is anything you need to worry about. Fibro, arthritis, lupus etc are more of a pain in the ass (pardon the pun) than fatal. And like others have said, they would have called you in the same day if it was anything serious. Stay positive and dont worry.

You might well be but at the moment the medical world doesn't. You could well be right but as no one knows what causes it we can't say.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:47 am

My rheumy sent me for an ANA and an ENA blood test this week. Im awaiting results. He asked me if I had had any rashes. I said nooooooo. When I read up about these tests, I wondered of he was checking for Lupus! I've also wondered whether I had it a month or so ago. Will have to wait and see!

Hope you're ok hun xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia