Help/Advice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help/Advice

Postby Cowboy83 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Strap in...this might be a long one but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

First up I am obviously new to the forum and I want to say a massive thank you in advance for any help or guidance offered.

A few years ago my wife was diagnosed with fibromyalgia although to this day we are still not 100% sure that is what we are dealing with due to her symptoms varying greatly from many others that have been diagnosed with the same condition. She was out of work for a couple of years due to the illness and wheelchair bound for some it which put great strain on us financially and emotionally. Today the pain and symptoms are controlled by a mixture of medications including OxyContin, lyrica, ibuprofen, and cymbalta. She is back in work for nearly two years and other than been a bit more fatigued than your average person after a shift at work everything is going very well.

Now to the crux of the matter. We have always dreamed if conceiving a child however we put it on the back burner and didn't even really discuss it for years due to wanting to overcome the other issues first. Now we feel we are there however my wife also suffers from poly cystic ovaries and the chances of conception are obviously greatly reduced. We have been to the doctor who is willing to try some medication specific to that condition while also reducing the medication currently being used to ward off the fibromyalgia.

I suppose my question here is are there any others out there that suffer the same mixture of conditions and if so were you able to conceive? If so, did it happen naturally or has anyone tried IVF? How did you handle coming off your medication and did you wait until you were completely off them before even trying?

The last time we tried to come off the drugs things did not go very well and my primary concern is for the health of my wife above all else. Any experiences or help would be greatly appreciated. Constantly seeing friends having children is really starting to have an impact on our lives as it is something we want so badly.

I realise it is highly unlikely anyone here will be able to offer a definitive answer but I guess what I am looking for most of all is hope.

Thanks for taking the time to read these ramblings, I am not even sure if you will be able to make any sense of it.
Cowboy83
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help/Advice

Postby zoomie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi cowboy, I was very early in my journey with fibro when I had my children, I also have pcos, I conceived naturally when we stopped trying! I was on otc drugs only, as soon as I knew I was pregnant I came off them.
Being totally honest I had says when I questioned my sanity it was so bad pain/fatigue but you get on with it.

I would seek medical advice, not just from your gp but a physio also.

Good luck in whatever you both decide.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi,

I have other conditions alongside my fibro. I have an underactive thyroid, PCOS and am overweight. I am also nearly 26weeks pregnant. It was also an accident! - A happy one if not poorly timed and extremely scary. I already have 2 children but I concieved those before the above conditions (except the PCOS which I've had since 18yrs old). We had always wanted more but wanted to wait until my health was better (I do also have some other conditions but none related to conception) but nature has a way.

I was on my medication when I fell pregnant but all the scans have come back okay. A lot of medication says that it is unsuitable for pregnant women not because it has or will cause any problems but because it hasn't been tested on them. I did however, come off most of medication when I found out. To be honest it didn't really make much of a difference (pain wise) but then again I don't think it helped in the first place anyway. I did stay on a few of the pregnancy safe drugs and one of my drugs was switched for a pregnancy safe one. I did come off Amitriptyline but had to go back on it due to about 10 weeks of a constant headache. It wasn't withdrawal as I had been off it for about 5 weeks with no problems. A doctor can advise you but there is a book which classes the drug into different catergories of how safe they are. There are also lots of alternatives to the ones your wife is on. There are some people who actually say they feel better during pregnancy - not me though!

I can only imagine what you must be going through and hopefully things will work out. Don't lose hope and don't be afraid to accept help from the doctors - it might just help speed things up.
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:58 pm

I would like to share even though we do have others that are expecting to please keep in mind that fibro can be a hereditary illness as my mother had this as well as my other siblings and my one son now has it and furture parents should be prepared just in case. Please keep in mind that that's not always the case and it can be isolated to whatever could be the trigger or cause. One heck of a crazy illness for sure! Good luck to all!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia