Post exercise pain. Anyone else get it?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Post exercise pain. Anyone else get it?

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I really want to lose a bit of weight and build up my fitness. I've always done plenty of walking despite the pain but any time I try anything more strenuous I end up in quite a lot of pain for days afterwards. This doesn't feel like normal "post work out" fatigue I used to get years ago.

For example yesterday I tried a few push-ups, sit-ups and squats just using my own body weight. Today my muscles are so sore and fatigued I can barely touch them or walk up the stairs. It almost feels like they are bruised.

I don't think it is just lack of fitness because even when I have tried to build it up really slowly I still get the pain and it never gets easier over time. I thought for most healthy people when you worked out you gradually got fitter and the workouts got easier?

I'm wondering if anyone else suffers from this and if it is related to the condition ? If so how do you manage to exercise?
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Re: Post exercise pain. Anyone else get it?

Postby MrsP77 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:26 pm

What is this exercise you speak of??!!! I can barely move most days, let alone think about exercise!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Dear Lord my idea of exercise is putting my socks on. I do try to walk places I can manage about 10 mins at a time but that's it.

I bought an electric bike to ride but take the pressure off but I used it a few times and ended up in hospital lol
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby juliekp » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi. I try to exercise. I go to the gym. I try for 3_4 times a week but then I might not be able to do much at all for a few weeks by which time it is like starting over from beginning again. Never gonna win I dont think. Little and often I was told. Not always possible
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 pm

juliekp wrote:Hi. I try to exercise. I go to the gym. I try for 3_4 times a week but then I might not be able to do much at all for a few weeks by which time it is like starting over from beginning again. Never gonna win I dont think. Little and often I was told. Not always possible

Well at least I'm not alone then :-|

All the things I have read say that exercise is key to managing pain but how are we ever supposed to do that and get fitter when it just causes so much pain afterwards!

I do walk for 40 - 60 mins every day but that is my limit. Last time I went to the gym for 30 mins I felt ill for 2 weeks afterwards.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:19 pm

I think it depends whether you're just starting out or do exercise regularly. I think its normal to feel some pain after exercising whoever you are. When I first did Pilates a few months ago, everything hurt like heck. You use every single muscle with that. But once I continued, I didnt get that pain again. I've only just restarted it (stopped for a month) yesterday, I'm feeling tired and sore today but its not from the Pilates, not the same pain. This is fibro stuff. I've spent most of the day sitting so hurt and stiff from that. Its my own fault :crazy:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 pm

MPSGuy wrote:
juliekp wrote:Hi. I try to exercise. I go to the gym. I try for 3_4 times a week but then I might not be able to do much at all for a few weeks by which time it is like starting over from beginning again. Never gonna win I dont think. Little and often I was told. Not always possible

Well at least I'm not alone then :-|

All the things I have read say that exercise is key to managing pain but how are we ever supposed to do that and get fitter when it just causes so much pain afterwards!

I do walk for 40 - 60 mins every day but that is my limit. Last time I went to the gym for 30 mins I felt ill for 2 weeks afterwards.

I agree that exercise is good for us. I'm going to restart my cardio next week or week after. I tend to do the Pilates three times a week and cardio twice a week. Now kids are back to school it'll be easier :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Maybe this info will help everyone to understand a bit about this condition. Why we are sore after exercise is that firo warriors have a build up of lactic acid beyond the normal as we do not get rid of lactic acid like a healthy person does. Sometimes you may feel like you can do something and then afterwords you pay like the devil for it. Hopefully one day they will solve this issue as it's a big one for us fms warriors! I hope this helps somewhat. You can go online and read more about Lactic acid buildup. Cheers!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:01 pm

like someone else said, excercise isn't all that easy nowadays. but, I've recently started swimming and although when in the water I don't hurt much at all, as soon as I'm out, and definitely the next day, I am very sore all over.

same with any small walks I manage to do, legs hurt terribly afterwards.

ooh interesting about the lactic acid thing. would be good if there was something that could be done for this if it is the case.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:09 pm

@dazzleship, Lactic acid buildup is the case... please read up on it as there are lots of articles about this on the internet and will help you understand and maybe help you plan your day better so you don't hurt as much.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:05 pm

i don't even walk anymore -its a kinds shuffle :crazy:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Fibro bodies never react the same as the average body and especially after periods of no exercise. When working with my physio regarding rebuilding the foundations for exercise I came across two youtube videos and ask her to look at them.

The first is mainly exercises done on a seat and the second was more on your feet. Both video's show very gentle plans, to improve flexibility, strength and mobility and prepare your body for developing into exercise regime.

For the purpose of introducing and pacing to keep post pain to a minimum, I was advised to brake up the routine into 5 minute segments througout the day then slowly merge these segments to 10 minutes etc etc till I could achieve the full routine....only then was it time to move up on intensity.

If I took a flare it was back to the start and build back up,to allow the body time to adjust and not trigger another flare.

My Physio now recommends these to all her FMS/CFS patients.

Here are the links, both routines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZbDJ6NOL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whCyiHtqeKU

Hope these are of some help
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 am

Could simply have been a case of DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness which happens to anyone when using a muscle in a way not often or normally exerted. This sort of muscle injury happens more often when the muscle is contracting against a weight, eg your body weight. It takes a couple of days to recover from. Running downhill can also cause this type of soreness for much the same reasons.

Might be better to build up into this type of activity , after doing some warm up or stretching exercises to heat the muscles up before you start. Hope it doesn't put you off continuing with it, if it's important to you as that would be a shame.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:14 am

I used to get it terribly. Not that what I was doing could be called exercise exactly- Tai Chi, Stretching, and walking, water aerobics (til I got sensitive to the chlorine water and had to stop). I was never physically very active, but after got FM everything I read said exercise will help. So I call walking the dog exercise- don't judge me, ok? It is the most I can manage. I read if you are deconditioned, like me, start at 5 mins. walking and do that 5 days/wk for a few wks, then add 3 mins, and increase in tiny increments with long intervals in between. But what I would do is, on a beautiful day when I felt pretty good, was walk to my friend's house 15 or 20 mins. away (as slow as I walk), still feeling ok- wow! I can do this!- and then home, another 15 or 20 or 25, still doing pretty well. By the next day, I was writhing in agony, and had a monster flare that lasted for a week or two. But I never learn, so I repeated this again and again and again.

Again I read, this time about "post exertion malaise" and an athlete's supplement called D-Ribose, a powder you mix with a beverage (strong-flavored, like coffee or lemonade I found is best b/c the powder is sweet). It helps me w post exercise pain and most importantly w energy! 3 scoops a day is recommended, but I do one scoop+ because I mostly drink water after morning coffee. Best brand is Corvalen and it's in local health shops and online- Amazon, ProHealth, etc. Too late for me to remember term for what it helps but it is Adrenal something, shut down, burnout, failure, something like that. My theory, and my former GP agreed, is that people with FM do not get endorphins like normal people. So you just feel lousy and in pain instead of the endorphin boost. Hope D-Ribose helps someone- takes a few wks to work. I would love to help someone. I've gotten so much help from others w FM. Mostly TLC, encouragement and support. But also info and knowing that I'm not the only one with these bizarre symptoms.

Now I'm going to read up on lactic acid and see how that fits into the puzzle we are living with or in!

Question for all- What is Kratom? Has anyone tried it? I keep seeing ads on FB for" Kratom for FM" and how great it is. Works better than RX pain meds and much safer, etc. blah blah blah. From Indonesia or someplace in that area. Just curious.

Any exercise is better than no exercise, no pain is NOT no gain, take it slow and steady, stretch and that's my wisdom for today!

Gentle hugs, my dear Fibro friends
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:46 am

zappa20 wrote:Could simply have been a case of DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness which happens to anyone when using a muscle in a way not often or normally exerted. This sort of muscle injury happens more often when the muscle is contracting against a weight, eg your body weight. It takes a couple of days to recover from. Running downhill can also cause this type of soreness for much the same reasons.

Might be better to build up into this type of activity , after doing some warm up or stretching exercises to heat the muscles up before you start. Hope it doesn't put you off continuing with it, if it's important to you as that would be a shame.

I do think it is DOMS and general post exertion malaise. However, everything I read suggests DOMS is supposed to get better after a few days and once fitness level increases DOMS should reduce because the muscles get used to being worked over time.

My experience of DOMS/post exertion malaise is that it gives me pain for up to 2 weeks and does not get better with increased fitness. I would say my cardiovascular fitness is quite decent, I never get so out of breath or exhausted that I have to stop, it is simply the the muscles and pain stops me. The soreness after exercise is at a level where 2 co-codamol doesn't give relief and I don't have access to any stronger pills. :yikes:

I do stretch regularly but perhaps I do need to focus more on warming up and cooling down before exercise.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia