Rollators

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rollators

Postby Gilly52 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Hello everyone

Are there any forum members out there that are using a rollator successfully as a mobility aid. ?

It's been something I have been thinking about buying for a while now as slowly my mobility is getting worse.

I would like to hear your comments be they good or bad

Hope everyone is having a reasonable day :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Rollators

Postby Librarychick » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Changed my life. Can get around so mch easier now. I love mine. Go to a shop that sels them and try them out. :-D :-D :-D :-D
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I was issued one by my physio after trying two sticks and struggling, had been on one stick for 3 years before that, but due to falls the doctor put me on to physio who after getting me a 2nd stick, saw i was going to struggle, so issued a rollator have to say is a god send to me as i cannot afford a scooter.

I will help you get about easier so i suggest you see if you can get one via GP and Physio if not then you should buy one, mine even has a shopping bag attached makes my weekly shop easier.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby clb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:06 pm

i would be lost without my rollator makes going out so much easier. i opted for one with a seat and bag rather than a basket, that way you can have a rest when needed. i have also now got a wheelchair so that on my real bad days my husband can still take me out to get fresh air. :-D
clb
UKFM Newbie

Postby MrsP77 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I hired one from our local Red Cross on the advice of my GP. Also saw someone (fibro fog), who assessed me and sent a letter to the wheelchair services. They took one look at me and fitted me up for a wheelchair, but I could only have a manual one. I told them that I do not have the strength to use it, but they insisted on supplying one. I ended up getting lots of wheelchair companies to come out with their goods to have a try of, and when I decided on the one I wanted I kept an eye out on E Bay, I got myself a cracking little machine for £500, they sell for £6000! It cost me £100 to have it checked over and changed to fit me.
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I had one and it was brilliant. Got mine from eBay. It had a fab seat and back bar so I could sit down whenever I wanted. Under the seat was a little bag so could use it to put a few bits in. Unfortunately I have now progressed to a electric wheelchair.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:55 pm

:-D One of the best buys I made. In fact I bought 2. one for upstairs, one for down.

My only complaint is that as I have to put all my weight onto them to walk my shoulders are completely knackered and so, so painful.
But that's not to blame fibro, that's osteoarthritis. Crutches were just too painful to consider.

I also have a manual wheelchair but cant turn the wheels. So I'm investing in a little electric pavement scooter It's only just under £700 so I shall be quids in after selling my car which has done the grand total of 8000 miles in 4 years.

I also kitted my little JR up as a hells' angel so he can be harnessed into the front pannier! That should get the village talking about the mad old bat on the scooter.

:mrgreen: ;-)
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied to my info request on rollators.

All replies much appreciated"........have ordered myself a rollator now......delivery should be in next few days.

I have never been able to drive....so will I be safe out on the streets ??......think I will need extra large L plates for a while lol.

Hope everyone is having a reasonable day :(
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia