So angry and fed up

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So angry and fed up

Postby madvixen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:56 am

The lift at my work is broken and they can't tell us when it will be fixed. I'm now climbing 3 flights of stairs up to 12 times a day depending on how busy we are. I was in so much pain by the time I got home last night that I was shaking.
I raised it with our safety manager today and he basically poo pooed it and said that he can't make them come out and he can't give us an alternative.
We have no other lifts in the building.

What do I do?
madvixen
UKFM Newbie

Re: So angry and fed up

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Are you in a union? Rather than the safety manager you need to talk to hr about what their contingency plans are for disability access
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi,
poor you, you know when I think back to all the jobs I had to work through terrible pain, asthma attacks, and no one gave a stuff !! Later when I was a supervisor if anyone was in pain or uncomfortable doing some thing I always tried to help them or find an alternative way of doing things, It upsets me to think that your "safety" manager couldn't care less, so why should you ? I would go on the sick with your pain until the lift is fixed, and contact your union. If you don't fight back (hard ..I know !!) they will walk all over you , you have rights, find out what they are and use them. Stay strong, I wish you luck and that in the future they treat you with the respect you deserve. xx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby whiterose » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm

If you have fibromyalgia you are classed as disabled, and your workplace is required by law to make 'reasonable' adjustments for you to do your work. If you are unable to use the stairs, then you need to say so.

From the government website:

Main elements of the definition of disability
A1.
The Act defines
a disabled person as a person with a disability. A
person has a disability for the purposes of the Act if he or she has a
physical or mental impairment and the impairment has a substantial
and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal
day-to-day activities

A2.
This means that, in general:
the person must have an impairment that is either physical or
mental (see paragraphs A3 to A8)

taken from paragraph A%:

impairments with fluctuating or recurring effects such as
rheumatoid arthritis, myalgic encephalitis (ME), chronic fatigue
syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, depression and epilepsy;

From the government's health and safety executive webpage ;

Reasonable adjustments may include:

adjustments to the workplace to improve access or layout;
giving some of the disabled person’s duties to another person, eg employing a temp;
transferring the disabled person to fill a vacancy;
changing the working hours, eg flexi-time, job-share, starting later or finishing earlier;
time off, eg for treatment, assessment, rehabilitation;
training for disabled workers and their colleagues;
getting new or adapting existing equipment, eg chairs, desks, computers, vehicles;
modifying instructions or procedures, eg by providing written material in bigger text or in Braille;
improving communication, eg providing a reader or interpreter, having visual as well as audible alarms;
providing alternative work (this should usually be a last resort).

Hope this helps. I would contact the citizens advice and ask them how you should approach your employer about this information, taking into consideration your job, and your employer's circumstances. You don't have to put up with being treated badly.
whiterose
UKFM Member

Postby Roger Rabbit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Personally if it was me, I would go off sick until they fixed the lift. If they could make arrangements for you to work downstairs until it is fixed fair enough. If not home you should go, with perhaps a doctors appointment booked with you explaining the situation and how much it has made hurt. Always worth covering all bases.
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:10 pm

it is unsafe for you to be walking up and down stairs and its not like its once and thats it, if they cant adapt things temporarily i would go off sick
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:34 pm

hi madvixen thought I would reply on this as I too rely on a lift at work to get to the office I work in.

surely as part of 'reasonable adjustments' for fibro as per disability rules (as someone else posted) they have to realise that if you need the lift and it ain't working, you can't be expected to go up and down the stairs.

makes me wonder what they would do if you were in a wheelchair?

I would ask your team leader/manager (whatever the structure is at your work) if you can temporarily relocate to a downstairs desk until the lift is fixed. explain to them that going up and down the stairs is worsening your condition and is probably going to make you have a major flare-up and be off work potentially a long time because of it.

which surely they wouldn't want. failing that if they can't relocate you, can you work from home in the meantime?

don't continue using the stairs if it is making you worse though. speak to them today if you can, or if not can you take tomorrow off sick and when you phone in, tell them you're in too much pain from the stairs and what I said above?

good luck :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes exactly this, what happens if going up/down those stairs causes a bad flare up and you end up off sick for a month?

They'll presumably be quick enough to jump down your throat over sick leave?
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia