Lower back pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Lower back pain

Postby Lorirach » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 am

I went to my GP who felt acupuncture would help. Apparently fibromyalgia patients normally respond well. I was very sceptical - after all how could sticking a few pins in me help? - but it did! I can honestly say after 4 sessions I am no longer walking with a stick! While it has not been a miracle cure - I still have FM *sigh* - BUT it has improved the quality of my life, so much so that I am considering going back to work! That will be the true test I feel!!

Anyway, just wanted to pass on some good news and hope that it may help others :)
Lorirach
UKFM Member

Postby Cat4691 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I was diagnosed a few months ago. I'm still working and trying to keep on going. Recently I have been experiencing low back pain. I can't stand for any longer than a few minutes before my back starts complaining. Any sort of distance irritates it too. It's so bad it's like having toothache in my back. I'm really struggling with things like getting from the bus stop to work. The pain is getting me down, I feel like crying most of the time with it. :cry:
Cat4691
UKFM Newbie

Postby mimildred » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I too get lower back pain, mainly on the right hand side. It turns into cramp when I sit still for long, such as driving. This came on as one of the first symptoms I had. It also hurts badly in bed, and I have to turn/change positions regularly to relieve it. That always helps with a good night's sleep - not!!

You need to get it checked out, if only to identify if it is muscular or a problem with the spine, so further investigations can be done.
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 pm

I think you should get any new symptom checked out because it might not be related to the Fibro, you also e to watch out for doctors just blaming everything on Fibro, they need to realise that we do get ill with other things too :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 am

Lorirach wrote:I have had Fm for nearly 2 years now and thought I was getting 'used' to the pain and exhaustion but I am now getting really bad lower back pain. It's getting to the point where I am having to use a stick to help me walk. Is this normal for FM or is this something I should be getting checked out? I hate going to my GP with every pain and ache but this is getting silly! I cannot sit, stand or lie without being in pain and it feels like my whole back is going to seize up if I move too quickly :( My Fm normally affects my legs and arms and hands and feet, shoulders etc but I have not had pain in my back before.......maybe I have just been lucky until now?! Am so tired, I hate this illness! (sorry pity party going on at the moment!!)

Hi, I'm so sorry you are suffering with back pain as well as your fibro :cry:
My back problem started my fibro, shortly after my 2nd caudal epidural I started suffering terribly with pain in my feet, hands, wrists, shoulders and knees. I couldn't believe I went in to have pain relief in my back and came out with a chronic illness.

Following all my tests and MRI's it transpired that I actually had a problem with my shoulder unrelated to fibro (pending surgery) and obviously my continuing back problems (L4/L5 & S1 discs disappearing) so I would say don't be fobbed off by the Dr's assuming it's your fibro.

I agree with others, your gait alters when you are in pain and compensating so back pain can come from this. I find my right hip hurts so much that I hobble, which makes me look like I have one leg shorter than the other! Crutches and sticks are a no go as my wrists and hands are so painful so I just pace myself.

If you've never had back pain before then I would ask for help if it doesn't settle after a few weeks.
Also as a tip, no matter how much your back hurts try to keep moving position-I know it feels like hell but there is nothing worse than your back actually freezing because your muscles spasm or tighten (this comes from personal experience).

Hugs and best wishes xxx ;-)
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby Lorirach » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Thank you. I will def get it looked into further. I finished my acupuncture and while it was fab, now that it has stopped I feel I am on a downward slope back to where I was - oh well, back to work next week after 3 months off, then we shall really see how well I am.... :)
Lorirach
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:58 am

I wake up every morning with excruciating lower back pain. We blamed mattress so bought new bed...made no difference. My Mri scan showed no spinal defects. I'm also claustrophobic so Mri was horrendous I couldn't face that again. I've just learned gradually to live with it. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia