legs collapsed.. :(

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

legs collapsed.. :(

Postby dazzleship » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:52 pm

hi all. just need to share something with you and get a bit of advice please.

hubby and I went swimming last night for the first time in a couple of weeks (we've only started a month or so ago). we had a great time in the pool for just over an hour, I swam little bits (resting in-between) with my 'swim noodle' and was really enjoying myself, almost pain free as I always am in the water.

as soon as I got out of the water the pain returned (as I expected) and once we'd changed we walked to the car, I was in pain all over but nothing that I hadn't expected.

but.
when we got home and I got out of the car, I was standing there for a second and suddenly my legs just collapsed and I almost fell to the ground. hubby helped get my crutches and we got inside but it took ages to walk from the car to the front door as I was pretty much holding myself up just with my arms, my legs were just collapsing and felt like jelly.

I rested for a bit in the living room but later I needed help from hubby to get undressed and into bed (not to mention going up the stairs which took an eternity - we're seriously considering moving the bedroom downstairs now).

I was so scared when my legs collapsed like that and I've never experienced anything that bad before :shock: :cry: not to mention I felt so embarrassed that hubby had to help me so much (although he didnt mind bless him).

did I just overdo the swimming do you think? has anyone else experienced this?

this morning when I woke up I was sore but thankfully my legs seemed to be working a bit better. I'm a bit more wobbly than normal at work here but trying to take it easy.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: legs collapsed.. :(

Postby yorkshirelass » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:38 pm

I call them my 'jelly legs' or 'flu legs' - total loss of co-ordination, cannot keep my balance and no strength in them. :-? I find it usually happens when I have done too much and that with rest they recover. Not that they are ever brill. :!: Unfortunately I think it is just another part of Fibro and that if you are pain free in the swimming pool then you probably did too much without realising it. Sorry it was such a shock but now you are aware it can happen you will be able to manage it. Hope you recover soon. :-)
yorkshirelass
UKFM Newbie

Postby teamonster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I definitely get the jelly legs, iv gone over in some spectacular fashions in supermarkets, even at work all post work out. I call it my wobbly moments.

Now let me share you a secret I have trained ( long story) some amazing martial arts and socialized with many weight lifting people who all get jelly legs too once they have done too much ! They don't have fibro however it is my experience ( im no doctor ) that fibro because of the pain leads to weakness ( because lets face it we can't lift that 40k squat !! when making a cup of tea can be a chore ). So if they get it its not just another bit of our fibro

now the hard part .. do not be put off by your jelly legs maby not do as much but don't let it put you off all together because you keep it up eventually the jelly legs (shouldn't) happen anymore once you build up your strength.

keep going hun :)
teamonster
UKFM Newbie

Postby nogginpodge » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Oh I get jelly-legs a lot and they always take me by surprise! I think you did a little bit too much in the swimming pool because you were feeling so good and perhaps over-tired your leg muscles.

This happens to me when I've overdone things, usually in the garden and usually on a good day. I am hopeless at "pacing" myself; I have so many bad days that when I have a good day I take full advantage of it even if it means suffering the consequences.

I will be absolutely fine whilst overdoing it, then I will come in and sit down. Then I will try to stand up and my legs won't hold me! It can be highly embarrassing because its so unexpected!

Then I begin the silly walk, my kids used to call it "Pinnochio" because I look like a puppet on strings. So just think to myself, "Oh, I've got Pinnochio again!"

Don't let it stop you enjoying yourself; so what if you have to shuffle upstairs on your bottom? You enjoyed your swim didn't you? Hahahaha!
nogginpodge
UKFM Newbie

Postby TracyJ72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:01 pm

This happened to me and my GP said if it happened again I was to be tested for MS. There are so many secondary conditions to keep our Fibro company :-( Have a chat with your GP xxx
"You know you are sick when you have to come up with simplified versions of your illness to tell people".
TracyJ72
UKFM Newbie

Postby mandiw » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 pm

I get this too. if I am shopping or walking for too long I get jelly legs and it feels as if, if I go on they will just give up altogether. I have to walk slowly back to the car and come home because I an very unsteady on my feet then.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes i get this as well, and one thing i found out that helps is to make sure you eat plenty of protein before doing anything that requires stamina ie: swimming even cycling, walking or whatever! I usually eat a peanutbutter sandwich before doing anything and last week i forgot and nearly collapsed and then realised i didnt consume any protein, what a difference it makes. Just thought i would share this tidbit with you. So remember before excertion make sure you have protein in you or it will get worse as we're tapping our energy supply and we run out a lot faster than normal folks do and require more protein than normal folks. If you don't believe me please read up on it as education is our strongest weapon in this war on fibro.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Its more than likely you over exerted but as has been suggested go to the docs and explain what happened, iblinkin I believe you as my youngest is into fitness and always has a protein shake before doing any of his workouts
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby iblinkin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Thank you Denys, I try my best to be as imformed as possible but with fibro the mind sometimes can be cruel and deceiving and absorbing info can be very difficult and conveying even harder. :-D
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

I haven't actually fallen over (yet!) but my legs did go completely the other day, I was extremely lucky that I was in the lounge, and held on for dear life to the tv table while my partner, who was on the sofa, leapt to my rescue. It's scary and I am just waiting for it to happen.

I agree that you may have overdone it with the swimming. I'm doing less than I could because I'm worried about the same thing. I do a lot of floating so I have the feeling of weightlessness/no pain without using the energy :-D
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:51 pm

It sounds like 'jelly legs' from overexertion. Quite easy to over do things in the swimming pool because everything feels easier as the water supports your body, takes pressure off the joints and so on.

I think shaky and twitchy muscles are very common after really strenuous exercise and of course many people with fibro have a lower tolerance for exercise anyway.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia