one small thing

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

one small thing

Postby dazzleship » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm

hi people :grouphug:

just wanted to share something that happened to me last night.

I'd had a really bad day, could barely move and hubby was helping me into bed (he had to lift my legs up onto the bed for me :oops:) and suddenly I cried out in pain.

and then, as I cried out, I felt a lick on my knee. I looked down - our littlest dog was looking up at me and I knew she'd licked me because I'd cried out.

then she went curled up to sleep on my side of the bed (she normally sleeps at hubby's side out of habit).

I'm still moved to tears thinking of it now.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: one small thing

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Our furryends never cease to amaze me with just what, and how much they know, and how they show their understanding and what they are feeling :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: And all of it being unconditional :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

When OH is at work, I'm the one that DaftDog walks, and the way she is with me is very different to how she is when out with OH. She stays much, much closer to me than what she does with him. And when it's a particularly cruddy day, she is my shadow, she bobbles along at a much slower rate next to me, and she never asks for her borli to be thrown during these times either.

Sometimes the company of animals is much more preferable to that of huu~mons for me :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pakkacat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 pm

My two cats are the same. Ellie always lies by my legs on the bed when i'm having a bad time and lately Mollie our 2 year old cat has come and sat on my lap twice, both times when i don't know what to do with myself, and she has never been a cat to sit on your knee, i was moved to tears. Neither of them will leave the house for long if i'm really bad its so touching. They seem to connect to the illness a lot better than any human. x
:-)
pakkacat
UKFM Newbie

Postby TracyJ72 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm

My dogs are particularly good at licking tears away :-) xx
"You know you are sick when you have to come up with simplified versions of your illness to tell people".
TracyJ72
UKFM Newbie

Postby lisa holden » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:50 pm

ive had fibro for six years, i stopped working for four years because of it. i tried every painkiller on the market and had various doctors and specalists and physio sessions. i decided to accept that trauma/depression was causing this and tried antidepressants but as fibro gives you a sensitive stomach i couldnt take them.

physiopherapy told me that my muscles had gone to sleep as they was not being used, and after i while i realised that i had been sitting around all day moaning in pain. so i decided to be a volunteer to get active again and do 20 mins of walking per day. meeting people and being proud of being a volunteer made me hapier and i went back to work for 16 hours per week as a morning cleaner and hey presto my fibro is practically gone( i have only one sore hip but injections are curing that).

when your in pain constantly it makes you so depressed,stressed and tense it makes fibro worse. u got to keep moving. i no longer have a sore neck,back, shoulder, burning senstations or muscle spasms. I only take 25mg of amtriptyline in the evening if my hip hurts and its good as one tablet sends me to sleep until 6am and no drowsyness. i really do suggest getting active and learn to understand why we are tense/depressed.maybe u could help dogs in a rescue centre xxx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
lisa holden
UKFM Newbie

Postby flashsjill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:05 pm

I was reading your comments and am happy that you have found something that helps, I would love to do some volunteer work,(I too have had to give up a job I absolutely loved) you see I have trouble walking and getting about so it's hard to say keep active, I physically am unable too. My life changed two years ago after being diagnosed with fibro caused by the stress and trauma of dealing with cancer. I never have two days the same, I cannot plan anything at all. I am a very strong person, but fibro really challenges me some days.
flashsjill
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:43 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily lisa holden :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've split your post into smaller paragraphs to make it a little easier to read as one of the delights FM has given some of us is a problem when it comes to reading larger blocks of text.

Reading thru what you have said, I agree with what you have said about the need for keeping moving. However, the subject of this topic is about a moment that has really touched the OP as it was something so different to what her doglet normally does.

Maybe I'm reading things a little wonkily {and please feel free to say if this is the case} From you have posted, some may think that what you have said is based on some sort of misinterpretation wrt the OP. If you have a looky thru some of their other posts and topics, you'll find that the OP works, goes swimming, and does other things to stay as active as possible, within capabilities and limits. And at times, no matter how FM affects someone, a little extra help may be needed, such as the situation that the OP experienced.

As I said, if I'm misinterpreting what you have said, then please say so as it is all too easy to misinterpret what is on a screen in front of you compared to when you are face~to~face with someone and can see their expressions and body language, hear their voice etc.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:01 pm

flashsjill wrote:I was reading your comments and am happy that you have found something that helps, I would love to do some volunteer work,(I too have had to give up a job I absolutely loved) you see I have trouble walking and getting about so it's hard to say keep active, I physically am unable too. My life changed two years ago after being diagnosed with fibro caused by the stress and trauma of dealing with cancer. I never have two days the same, I cannot plan anything at all. I am a very strong person, but fibro really challenges me some days.

And :welcome: to you too jill :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Sorry to hear how things are for you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: FM is definitely challenging, and at times seems to be constantly beating us down. However, we each have something deep~down inside us that keeps us going, and a part of that is something that we would like/want to be able to do, so keep a tight hold onto the things that you hope and want to do, and keep looking to see if something comes along that might help you get a step or 2 closer to fulfilling those wishes.

Wrt to activity, have you looked into anything like chair~based exercises?? With them originally being aimed at those of the older generations, they tend to be very gentle and controlled so that a workout will hopefully cause as little discomfort as possible to those involved.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:14 pm

dazzleship, here's the linky to this being shared on FaceBook. Have a looky at a few of the comments that others have made on this subject. Bunnies, guinea piggies, and even a neighbour's cat going to visit a fellow FMer for a cuddle during those times when things aren't behaving like we would prefer.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:19 pm

thanks for all your replies :-) our littlest dog is not as clever at learning things like commands, like our older dog is, but she's more attuned to emotions. but this was the first time she seemed to really recognise that I was hurting and it moved me a lot.

glad to hear that others of you have pets that help too :-)

lisa holden wrote:i really do suggest getting active and learn to understand why we are tense/depressed.maybe u could help dogs in a rescue centre xxx

lisa - I know you mean well but I must admit to being a little put out by this. I am as active as I can be - I work full time, and on a good day I am able to do a few things in the evening like walk around the garden or do something in the house. on a bad day, like yesterday and today, all I can do is just rest when I get home. I certainly don't have the time or energy to do any volunteer work on top of my full time job. I hope you can understand that.

edit to add - sorry FluppyPuffy I saw your post after I'd done my reply. you've explained what I've tried to explain above but in a better way - so thanks for that :-)

oh and as for the facebook thing - thanks I'll have to wait until tonight to look at that cos I can't look at facebook whilst I'm at work (I'm on a break just now). I didn't even know this got onto facebook!
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:46 pm

:-D Just had to share how my dog helped me (any excuse :-D )
Last Christmas I was rushed into hospital where they found 2 12" long duodenal ulcers. I'd ignored not being able to swallow and debilitating coughing spasms.
But my dog hadn't. For the previous 2 months, instead of sleeping across my feet, he'd slept across my shoulder an neck, despite all efforts to shift him....he's only little.

Once the ulcers had been treated and things were back to normal he went back to sleeping across my feet again.
It's a real comfort to know I have quite the little diagnostician here. :dogchasecat1:
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:23 pm

He sounds like the doglets in the news/media we sometimes hear about where they have started behaving differently/strangely with their huu~mons, only for it to be discovered a little further along that they have a tumour, cancer etc.

There is a charity which trains doglets to be Bio & Cancer~Detection and Medical Alert Assistance Doglets, who~nose what other abilities they have as there is so much more to be discovered about our furryends :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Beccie42 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm

I dont think I would be here if it wasn't for my 2 collies. They lick my tears away, cuddle up to me, put their paws on my shoulder (as if to say 'u alright mum?') And they even know which parts of my body hurt on that particular day to lick them better. They understand me more than any other being can.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 am

Hi All:

It is amazing how many of us have pets! I have had two Labrador Retrievers and they have been so helpful and comforting. The first one, Smokey, was so emotionally in tune with me. He walked as someone else remarked right next to me esp. when I wasn't feeling well. When he had to be put down, my husband and I were heartbroken. Less than a week later, we rescued another Lab. Labs need alot of exercise-- much more than I can give him. He too knows when I'm not feeling well and even sleeps scrunched up against my side of the bed. Shadow is also very precious and a great comfort. As someone else remarked, they are nicer than many people are. :-D

I know your intent was to share something that had been really helpful to you and I agree, Lisa, that it is good for us to have interests so we don't dwell on the Fibro. However, although it would be nice if volunteer work cured FM, it doesn't. Sometimes it can have the opposite effect. We all have to determine what works for us. I am trying very hard to get my pitiful deconditioned body moving; I do stretching exercises and can now walk Shadow around the block every day. I will add a little bit to that in a week or two and so on. Pacing is very important. Baby steps. "Pushing through the pain" doesn't work for me; it makes me worse."Making myself get up and do something" if I am in pain, makes it worse. I've tried it. If I took a volunteer job, I would last about an hour. I taught school for a few years, then worked in medicine for 25 yrs.; after retiring I did volunteer work in the Recovery unit of the local hospital for years pre-FM. I am on the Admin. Council of my church (basically sit in meetings and give my opinion and vote). But now if I get a little housework done, pick my granddaughter up after school, spend time with her every day, wash up after dinner and walk Shadow, that's an unusually busy, active day for me. I think it is great that volunteering is good therapy for you and others, but just the idea of it deflates me and makes me feel like a failure. (I am extremely sensitive as my family would tell you). A lady in my weekly art class used to say "These gals with so-called Fibromyalgia just need to get their lazy butts to the gym". It felt like criticism and hurt me.

Lisa, I am certainly not saying that I think you are like that lady in any way!! But just because something active works for you, doesn't mean it would work for others, esp. those who do not yet have their FM under control. Since two of the primary symptoms of FM are pain and fatigue and there is a wide variation in the severity of the symptoms, there are going to be many things some of us can't do. Like working, paid or not. I hope you understand what I mean and are not offended. If I did offend you, I hope you will forgive me. I just think if it bothered me, it probably bothered others too. IMHO, you should consider something like volunteering when your meds are working, you are able to be somewhat active and your life seems fairly well under control. Not the other way around.

What I do really appreciate is that you are so enthusiastic about what has helped you and anxious to share and also that what you have chosen to do is for the greater good. I would LOVE to get to the point that I could volunteer for a cause I care about like animal rescue, the environment, poverty and hunger issues; there are so many worthy organizations that need help. But at my age and in my condition, I don't know if that will happen. When I get better, I plan to investigate things that might not be physically demanding.

Sorry this is so long. Can you tell I love to write? Lisa, again, if I offended you, please forgive me. I just felt discouraged when I read what you wrote (that someone quoted), and didn't want others to feel that way. As a Newbie here if I was out of line, I apologize.

socaligal
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Awwww the dog comments are so adorable. I am busting a gut to have a dog, I've wanted one my entire life and just can't wait! I also think it would be brilliant for those bad days, to have that love and affection. Dogs are great and so instinctive.

Feel like crying now!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia