Smoking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Smoking

Postby Gilly52 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi everyone
Has anyone successfully given up smoking ??.........and noticed any improvement in their fibro symptoms ?.

I am trying, but struggling to be honest.....have smoked for far too many years !! Worse habit I have :( when I started smoking in the 60's, it was fashionable, e.g. Coffee bars, TV, the movies, don't think many people thought how detrimental is was for our health and you could smoke pretty much anywhere, cafés, pubs etc, nowadays it is so different, for the better really, hopefully no smoking rules and the cost will discourage young people starting.

Look forward to reading your replies......be they positive or negative

Goodnight everyone :sleep: :sleep:
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Smoking

Postby stripes64 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 am

I've given up nearly 4 months now, not helped any fibro symptoms for me, but not made it worse either still very worth trying to quit if nothing else forget the money health smell, personally I feel one hell of a sense of achievement, that's something fibro can't take away :)
stripes64
UKFM Member

Postby drbeard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am

I gave up five years ago, using the drug Champix , my Dr put me on it for around
6 months, I've felt rubbish ever since and am convinced the Champix was the cause of my F.M

Regards, Phil
drbeard
UKFM Newbie

Postby jaqui45 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 am

Hi guys, my partner stopped smoking 5 years ago he was diagnosed with copd not long after he quit he has had chest infection after chest infection at the moment he is in hospital with emphysema he can hardly breath, im a smoker and don't intend giving up just yet....
jaqui45
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 am

Morning guys. I have given up many times. But what with the stress of my illness, family problems and stress I've started again! It's the only thing I do for myself! I don't drink or have a social life. And the more people tell me to quit the more I won't. :-P . I've been dictated for the last 16yrs on what drugs to take an what to do and what not to do I feel that this is the only thing I have control over!
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby Springer1961 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 am

drbeard wrote:I gave up five years ago, using the drug Champix , my Dr put me on it for around
6 months, I've felt rubbish ever since and am convinced the Champix was the cause of my F.M

Regards, Phil

That's strange because I was on Champix to help me stop smoking and I ended up in A+E with a suspected heart attack, I've never been right since.
I hadn't thought that their may be a link.
Springer1961
UKFM Newbie

Postby AliCat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:13 am

Hi all.
I gave up successfully almost a year ago for Stoptober. I feel much better in the sense that I don't cough, don't smell etc. But, and it's a big but, my pain increased loads, especially the neuropathic pain in my legs, so much so that I'm now on Gabapentin and have also put on a stone in weight :(
AliCat
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 am

I stopped smoking in the 80's as my life was in and out of hospital through breathing problems, originaly diagnosed as Asthma, now COPD as well as Asthma, My Fribro started over 7 years ago and nothing helps really, first time in months i was up in the night to take extra pain relief.

Just wish this firbro would sod off a quick as it hit me. I am so cheesed off with it.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am

I smoked for approx 40 yrs and stopped, so its never too late.

When I was diagnosed with CFS/ME and fibro I did my best to be as healthy as possible. I stopped the ciggies AND alcohol completly. It may not help the fibro symptoms as such, BUT your body is healthier and more able to cope. I just went cold turkey, and its nearly 2 yrs now.

I now hate the smell of cigarettes, and I can't believe how stupid I was to deliberately inhale all those nasty toxins. They cost so much as well !
No point in moaning about being ill if you are not prepared to help yourself
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby suedoo24 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 am

I also stopped smoking using champix. Never been right since but as docs were investigating a heart condition at the time I'm not sure if it was the champix or all the medication the doctors kept prescribing me. Good luck with stopping smoking however you do it
suedoo24
UKFM Newbie

Postby coletalbot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 pm

I gave up in Jan 2012 successfully using Champix. Some horrible side affects but I've never wanted to smoke since & had no after affects. Good luck everyone. & to the person who isn't thinking of giving up yet, don't you think your partner getting COPD, Chest Infections and Emphysema is a good enough reason? And you still smoking is going to make him worse.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 pm

I found that as the fibro became worse for me, I couldn't stand the smell of smoking (also alcohol) I began to hate smoking more and more. It sort of gave me up in the end. (one positive thing about fibro!) I am very sensitive to smells and tastes now and cannot stand the smell or taste of lots of things I used to love. I used to love a glass of wine (or a bottle or two :crazy: ) and my ciggies, smoked for over 30 years, but after a particularly heavy night at a party, the next day I felt so rough I couldn't stand the smell of alcohol or ciggies and apart from one very awful day when I had a blip I haven't touched either since. That's nearly 3 years ago now and although for the first year I probably had to use a bit of will power, I think I can now safely say I don't crave or miss either the alcohol or the fags one bit.

I have to say though I had tried to give up many time before but never managed it. I think the time just has to be right. Hope you manage to give up, it really is one of the very best things you can do for yourself. Good luck with it :-D
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm

I love a fag don't you:))) LOL:)) they say, people that are afraid of dying can't live:)) so I think a little bit of everything is
good for the human race....Suffice to say, I know several people who gave up the fags who have fibro and it doesn't make
any difference whatsoever regarding feeling better in yourself....so do what you feel is right... either carry on, or try and
see if you can give it up....Our hospital near here has fag shelters to smoke in.... and you wana see all the doctors and
nurses out there taking massive drags on their fags before they have to go back inside to continue their duties:))
Yes it is true that back in the 60s 70s smoking was the thing to do..... I still think deep down that it hasn't changed that much.:)
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks to each and everyone one of you that replied.

Yes, I can see and believe that giving up is not easy....I really think I have to give myself a long chat with Mr Will Power lol

I've had fibro almost 14 years and in that time I have not drunk any alcohol, due to being on medications etc., not that it bothered me much before...just on social occasions, however I suppose my smoking has become an emotional crutch for me, after having to resign from a busy working career of 33years, life with fibro is very much different to what I was used to, and I know many other forum members feel this way. Times of stress are never easy and it seems automatic to reach out for a cigarette without the thought " is this really going to hep me" , so for now I feel determined to try and cut down and see how I go from there.

Hope everybody is as well as they can be, and that you are enjoying the Sept sunshine...# Indian Summer

(((Gentle Hugs ))) :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with the cutting down Gilly :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia