Smoking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Smoking

Postby Gilly52 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Denys for your "good luck" message.....means a lot to get a reply and encouragement :-)

(((Hugs))) Gilly x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Smoking

Postby Fibroised » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi guys
Great to know that there are still smokers out there! Our club is getting smaller and smaller!
I was smoking for 40 years and 3 years ago, before I was diagnosed with Fibro, was going through the "it may be this, it may be that" scenario and was having test after test. I was also attending a very anti-smoking unsympathetic GP who told me one day that if I didn't stop smoking immediately I risked having a heart attack and/or a stroke and wouldn't see my children as adults! They are now 21, 19 & 17. I got my first panic attack after she said that, right in front of her, and she fobbed me off! I changed doctors after that.
I went to see a Hypnotist though and immediately gave them up without any cravings. For a year and a half I stayed off them, and gained 4 stone! Though some of that was down to medication as I was still undiagnosed. The medication I was on totally disagreed with me and had really bad side effects at times, including the weight gain and dreadful memory problems. I was out one day on my own, which was rare at the time, and looked in my bag for my fags! None there of course, so went into the nearest shop and bought some! First craving in a year and a half and I had totally forgotten I had given them up! So was back on them again before I realised it. Went off the awful med a couple of weeks later as I was finally diagnosed with Fibro and put on the right meds, but not the cigs! Lost 3 stone in about as many weeks. Still haven't managed to lose the final stone. At least my current GP understands, and never says a word.
I know the comfort I get from a drag is false, and if I put my mind down to it, I could give up again, but I'm being totally honest in saying that I enjoy them! And a glass or 3 of wine!
Thats my smoking story
Soft hugs to all xxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia