More sensitive to pain?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

More sensitive to pain?

Postby Beckybecks » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Does having Fibro make one more sensitive to pain? and heat? Every little twinge feels like such intense pain to me and I sometimes wonder if I'm just being a big baby. And I can't take any heat at all. I feel like I'm about to boil over or pass out. Is anyone else looking forward to winter? :-?
Newly arrived in the UK from Southern Africa
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Re: More sensitive to pain?

Postby helenfelen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm the opposite - I feel the cold much more! it's cooled down slightly here and i'm huddled in a duvet on the sofa! do feel pain much more - even if I itch myself it can feel like I have slashed myself with knives or bumping lightly into something and I feel heavily bruised for hours! x
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:17 pm

becky - yes for me I agree with you that fibro makes me more sensitive. I hurt more with things than I used to, it's like everything is amplified (is that the word?) for example if my upper arm gets itchy, when I scratch it it gets very sore just from the scratching :roll:

helen - I also feel cold very easily. at work during summer (where did summer go?) everyone would be sitting in the office in shirts / tshirts etc with the AC on and I would be wearing a jumper. sometimes I get so cold that I can't get warm again, and like you I'll be huddled under a blanket (or two 8-) ) desperately trying to get warm.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi
I feel everything as if it was 100 times more painful, I stubbed my little toe & we all know that that hurts quite a lot but I thought someone was cutting through it very slowly.. Sometimes when I rub myself anywhere on my body it feels like sandpaper...

I struggle with the heat & when it gets colder - I have sweated so much this summer & still am, its worse on my face, it drips off me literally, if I go into a shop I feel embarrassed because I can feel the sweats starting on my face & I go red with it... At night along with pain waking me up, I wake up sweating in between my breasts & the back of my neck, its so exhausting!!

In the winter I can stay warm enough in my bed, so its just being woken by pains then... If I go out I have to wrap up well to keep warm but then if I go into a shop they are so heated up I start to sweat in the face & long to get out to cool down... If I get to cold, that is it I feel it right into my bones & just can't get warm till I get into bed & have hot water bottles with me!!

Its not very often when the temperature is just right for me to be content.. It certainly is not enjoyable having fibro!!!!
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:10 pm

I've always had a low pain threshold. I don't know if it's fibro or just one of those things. I've managed to get tattoos. & piercings anyway lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Beckybecks » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 pm

thanks for the replies. amplified is a good word for it. I feel like my volume control was turned up to high and got stuck there. everything's just so much more intense, pain and heat are the worst for me but I've yet to experience a winter in this country so will see how I cope with the cold. Even noise and bright lights in shopping centres are a problem. I also wake up sweating in the night. I feel like I'm in the tropics and everyone else is cuddling up with jerseys and blankets....
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Postby jaqui45 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 pm

I get that hot i don't know what to do with myself and sweat omg i drip everywhere its so embarrassing im constantly changing my tops cant wait for the cold weather especially the frosty days i sit out in the garden its heaven....
jaqui45
UKFM Member

Postby Beckybecks » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Just look out for me this winter, I'll be the one in shorts and t-shirt sitting out in the snow :lol:
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:02 am

Yes, I too have had the sweats and for 20 years I have been complaining to GP's. Finally one gave me some small blue tablets to help with it, sorry I can't remember the name. I've used them for about 6 weeks now and it is wonderful to feel 'normal'. They also help with my irritable bladder. I would have a word with your GP.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:55 am

Hi I have always had a high pain threshold but now I find light touches like brushing against a table with my hip absolute agony, palms of my hands are the same, I find when Im on the laptop I am pressing my alms down as that way they don't hurt, cold is awful sets off all my joints paining and it can take me hours to warm up again, I can often be fond soaking in a hot bath. I also have hyper-mobility syndrome so sometimes its hard to figure out which is causing the pain. I have also suffered hot sweats for years, always thought it was hormonal until I was diagnosed with both problems, but joy of joys in pain with the cold hap up to get warm and along comes a sweat, (I'm at that age now as well ) I am on my second type of painkillers from doc first lot worked for first 2 days was fantastic I had a whole weekend pain free then they stopped working just stopped me sleeping all night and felt doped up all day, now these one no pin first 2 nights combined with no sleep now pain is back but sleeping for 3 hour stints instead of the usual half hour ones. :-?
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Yes, sweats I still get these a lot, especially in my face, when out somewhere I always think people can see what's going on. :oops:

Sometimes it seems to last for hours and then eventually I will have a cold clammy feeling in my face :crazy:

I am now post menopausal so the sweats through the night are not so regular, my hair and neck used to be soaking wet.

So,Susan, ifyou remember the name of the blue tablets the doctor gave you I would be interested to know. Talking to my Gp about sweats a long time ago, he said..........with fibro...your thermostat is broken, all your sensitivities are heightened, I think he's right as I never thrive in very hot or cold weather........it would be so great to feel relaxed and "normal"
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:43 pm

A PS for Susan..........interested in the blue tablets for the sweats, also you mentioned an irritable bladder I have bladder problems also, so if one tablet can do 2 jobs, I am pleased for you, and next time I see my GP, I could have a chat with him, on both subjects.

Take Care
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Beckybecks wrote:Does having Fibro make one more sensitive to pain? and heat? Every little twinge feels like such intense pain to me and I sometimes wonder if I'm just being a big baby. And I can't take any heat at all. I feel like I'm about to boil over or pass out. Is anyone else looking forward to winter? :-?

OH YES!!! (imagine that Churchill dog nodding away lol).

My heat stuff started in January, and I couldn't understand why everyone was looking at me strangely in an office of 10 degrees while I practically stripped off and downed water every day!!! :oops: Ironically with the warm summer, my heat levels have almost been the same as most people's, think of a graph where my heat levels were at about 25 degrees all the time but everyone else's rising from winter levels to summer. Weirdly I feel a bit more normal in summer but am dreading the winter again, I could NOT get cold and my partner was say there in 3 layers while I refused to put the heating on!!!!

Although with poor circulation my hands are always cold...go figure!! :crazy: :lol:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia