teeth!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

teeth!

Postby galio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:22 am

does anyone else get sore teeth? I know its not toothache its like the pain you get with sensitive teeth, it starts upper front left corner moves to lower left then to upper and lower right, out of all the pain this is the one I hate most and dread when it starts
galio
UKFM Member

Re: teeth!

Postby denys » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:30 am

Yes sometimes, I have even been to the dentist with it and when he has checked the offending tooth and area there is nothing wrong with either :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? strange the things we get :-D

If its something new though it would be an idea to get it checked out just to make sure you havent got anything brewing
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby soretro » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:36 am

Sorry to hear you have that.
Yes, I have permanent pain in my teeth - it feels like nerve pain because it's a tingling pain that continually moves around my teeth. It started after I had a dentist work on two root canals right next to each other, and the pain has never gone away since then :-(
Sometimes one can get a 'ghost pain' that happens - ie pain from an original source that will still be there and jump around to odd places.
Have you had dentistry work done before this pain started? A filling etc?
Also a lot of people with FM have bruxism which will cause a sore jaw and pain in the teeth from clenching and grinding (at night). A mouthguard at night is supposed to help with the problems caused by bruxism - your dentist will be able to fit a mouth guard specifically for you.
My pain is not related to bruxism though, it's permanent and is definitely nerve pain, and my root canal work seemed to be the trigger :-(
Your dentist will be able to confirm bruxism for you - they can tell immediately from looking at the teeth.
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby Ange12 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 am

Hi, Yes, I feel your pain, I have had terrible problems with tooth pain, go to the dentist on a regular basis and they said my teeth are fine and suspect it is nerve pain.

It is like having extremely sore sensitive teeth but all of the time, even when I am not eating!!

My dentist is very understanding and tells to keep coming back when it gets bad just in case there is a tooth with decay etc and not to assume it is always nerve related.

I also discovered it started after I had a filling done and seem to have also suffered from neuralgia since it all started :(

I hope you dentist can do something for you to alleviate some of the pain
Ange12
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ren22 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Fibromyalgia amongst other things is a nerve problem so wherever there are nerves you are likely to get pain and unfortunately that means anywhere in the body, it's my toes which are my problem area although I have pain everywhere :cry:
Ren22
UKFM Member

Postby racey57 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 pm

I hadn't even given that a thought that could be connected, but my teeth are so sensitive to the cleaning of them, I hate it and my dentist can't understand why it hurts me so much! But I can have a tooth out just like that! Also, I do get toothache even where the teeth have been removed!
racey57
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:16 pm

thank you all for your replies I have been to dentist and all is fine and no it didn't start after any work done to my teeth and there is no rhyme or reason I can be just sitting on laptop of watching tv and it starts, thankfully not every day, I know i clench my jaw a lot when im stressed and have had enormous stress over the last year as along with coping with the pain and losing work with it, worrying about keeping my job, my 26 year old daughter was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor last July and I moved in with her and looked after her til she lost her battle in January, and even now we are still trying to sort out her affairs, i am back to work in 2 locations rather than one with less ours and in the hope that in these locations i can sit or stand when i need to to help with the pain of the HMS and FM but the exhaustion is creeping in and I've only been back for 4 weeks thankfully only 4 more before half term. dentist said no sign of damage due to clenching and I have to make a conscious effort to stop doing it during the day. good to know its only another manifestation of the FM.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby robcathy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi. I had two teeth out unnecessarily, because I had pain. I paid into denplan & he told me the only way was to get rid of the teeth. I still have the pain! Surprise. I felt gutted. Luckily they were back teeth.
robcathy
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:06 am

Sorry to hear about your daughter Galio
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Fibroised » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Galio
Firstly, so, sorry about your daughter.
Secondly my top teeth are false, and I have only half my real bottom ones. Soft teeth ran in my family, and I got the worst of it passed onto me! My teeth would just break at the slightest thing!
Anyway for the past year I have been getting aches in my top ones - only they aren't there any more!!! The ache feels like there is actually a tooth there, and it also moves around a bit. From time to time I get it the ache in my bottom ones too, but only always my gums. So far I haven't had an ache in any of my few real ones that are left.
I did read that achy gums can be a fibro symptom, and I believe it certainly is with me. Since starting the achy gums, my left jaw cracks regularly, and sometimes my whole jaw can ache, both sides, when I eat.
Hope this helps.
Soft hugs xxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Galio,
I'm sorry for your loss, you seem to having a tough time of it. I'm thankful to you for raising the problem with teeth, I know it sounds aweful but it's comforting to know that others have the same problems. Once again I thought it was just me but I should have known it was down to Fibro. I suffered with excrutiating pain in my face for 18 months until finally the dentist found a cracked filling in the back tooth. I also have been to the dentist time and time again with 'nothing wrong', but one thing he did find out was that when I had pain on the right side of my mouth the troublesome tooth was actually on the left. He's retired now so I have to start educating my new dentist. Hope you feel better soon.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 pm

sounds bad but glad to know I'm not the only one with the tooth problem, got worse the last year or so, but have a fantastic new dentist, because of my joint problems I have always suffered from jaw pain for weeks after even a check up due to having to hold my mouth open and often my jaw moves across and then feels like its gonna snap shut, in the past because I have (unbelievable to family and friends that have heard me shout lol ) a small mouth my old dentist used to regularly dislocate it because his hands were huge. my new dentist goes in and out like a yoyo giving me time to shut my mouth and resting my jaw on just a check up it takes twice as long as usual as she gives me these breaks, after needing 4 fillings (3 of which were ones that were failing not new ones ) after 6 years without a dentist I had no pain after treatment and thankfully she is young and hopefully will stay with my practice. she exrayed when I said about the pain and found no problems Im hoing i get the same result next week on my checkup
galio
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm so glad this forum is here; I've just been thinking that perhaps my tooth pain is actually part of the fibromyalgia... It seems a useful indicator of how fibro symptoms start; my teeth had NO pain, but I needed a couple of fillings 2 months ago now, and those teeth and the gums around them have been very sore ever since, but the dentist can't find anything wrong. Now more of my teeth and gums hurt. So, that which in a person without fibromyalgia stuff going on, would have been just a couple of fillings which they recovered from soon (my husband has dentistry without even anaesthetic and then NO afterpains!), those with fibro will be affected VERY strongly by the dentistry and take AGES to get over it...Teeth and gums are very nerve-rich areas. What is the relationship with fibro and nerves then anyway? Not really very muscle dominated is it, the teeth/gum area?
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia