Flu Jab

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flu Jab

Postby mimildred » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:47 am

Hi All

Being newly diagnosed, I have a silly question. Are we suffers considered in the group who need a flu jab? Never really occurred to me till my daughter asked!

Thanks!
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Re: Flu Jab

Postby lolabolla » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:56 am

I don't think so.

I'm on the flu list because I am diabetic

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Miichelle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am

I have a flu jab every year.....my doctor recommended me to
Miichelle
UKFM Member

Postby clb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:05 am

i have the flu jab every year as i also have asthma and chrons disease. but was told its advisable for fybro sufferers to have it. :-D
clb
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pinksparklelips » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am

I have one every year but I also suffer with Psoriatic Arthritis, if I wasn't entitled for a free one then I'd pay to have one, having flu on top of fibro doesn't bear thinking about!!
Pinksparklelips
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 am

just to play devil's advocate here :twisted: :-) I've never had a flu jab in my life and never intend to have one, no matter what the NHS / Government / whoever advise. (and according to them I should have one cos I have asthma)

I don't trust flu jabs, I don't see the point of having something that protects you against last year's strain of it, and all I've heard about it is that it gives you mild symptoms of flu just from having the jab. (not to mention what might be in the jab itself).

so no, not for me.

but your mileage may vary of course :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

I don't get the flu jab. I'm sure it must only take a day off the length of the flu??? I had the flu a month or two ago I think. It only lasted two days. Although it was as bad as it usually is, I was quite surprised how quickly it went away!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

:-D We're all different aren't we? I've had a flu jab for more years than I can remember, never had any reaction apart from a hot arm for a few hours.

One year and only one I didn't go. I cant remember why but I think I was having a bad asthma attack. Anyway I ended up in hospital with flu followed by pneumonia. I think fibro comes into the category of a dodgy Immune System so for me it's a definite Yes.

But others react badly to the jab so it's something you have to decide for yourself. Maybe see what your GP thinks.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby mimildred » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks everyone!! :-D
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Postby helenfelen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:04 pm

I have just had mine! the one year I didn't have it I got flu and ended up in hospital! Real flu lasts for longer than 2 days no matter how good your immune system usually is! It took me about 6weeks to get over mine and it was so bad that my kids went to stay with my hubby's mum as I was incapable of looking after them! A bad cold can last a couple of days and can feel a bit like Flu as Fibro has links with autoimmune issues!
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby kezza1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I have my flu jab this morning and got physio this afternoon felt bad b4 I went now even worse waiting to hear about pip, off work due to flare up, back to docs this week don't know wot work will do on my last warning this flare up is a result of been attacked at work in april this year struggling to type properly or even function xxx
kezza1
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:20 pm

helenfelen wrote:I have just had mine! the one year I didn't have it I got flu and ended up in hospital! Real flu lasts for longer than 2 days no matter how good your immune system usually is! It took me about 6weeks to get over mine and it was so bad that my kids went to stay with my hubby's mum as I was incapable of looking after them! A bad cold can last a couple of days and can feel a bit like Flu as Fibro has links with autoimmune issues!

What I had was definately flu, hun. I was even surprised it didnt last long. It was a full two days. My temperature was soaring, I felt run down and constantly thirsty due to the temp. I know the difference between flu and a little cold :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:33 pm

This linky has the criteria list for the Flu jab for people with medical conditions. Altho FM isn't mentioned, the list of conditions isn't absolute and definitive. A number of GPs have previously issued jabs for some FMers as they felt, in their clinical judgement, that it would be beneficial to the patient. To see if you may be eligible for one, you would need to contact your surgery and discuss it.

For those who find their GPs feel they don't fit the criteria for the freebie jab, it is possible to pay for a flu jab at some pharmacies. Previous costs have been between £7 and £10 from what I can recall, but this will vary, so will need looking into where you are.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:This linky has the criteria list for the Flu jab for people with medical conditions. Altho FM isn't mentioned, the list of conditions isn't absolute and definitive. A number of GPs have previously issued jabs for some FMers as they felt, in their clinical judgement, that it would be beneficial to the patient. To see if you may be eligible for one, you would need to contact your surgery and discuss it.

For those who find their GPs feel they don't fit the criteria for the freebie jab, it is possible to pay for a flu jab at some pharmacies. Previous costs have been between £7 and £10 from what I can recall, but this will vary, so will need looking into where you are.

I know my local Tesco pharmacy offer the jab for around a tenner. Perhaps other big shops do so too? Places like Boots prob do it too.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi everyone, just putting my 2 cents worth in here. I have read in the past that fms patients should not get the flu shot and judging by others post here not every one is the same. I have looked up a site on this topic and I am posting it here for all to read and remove some of the confusion. This site does touch on what other concerns posters have expressed here today.
http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic-pa ... romyalgia/

Myself i will not take the shot as i think it made me worse. Good luck and health to all!

iblinkin :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia