Flu Jab

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Flu Jab

Postby kayhealey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:33 pm

I have had a flu.shot twice since being diagnosed w FM and both times I was sick as a dog. My GP then told me That's it. No more. Someone told me FM was on the list of Do Not Give, but I guess that was wrong, unless it is different in the States. My GP now said absolutely NOT. He doesn't believe in them. So I haven't had one for years and I almost never get the flu.either.
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby AliCat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 pm

I wouldn't get another flu jab as I feel they're partly to blame for me having FM in the first place due to viral load and all that.
AliCat
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 pm

After being finally diagnosed last year, I discussed the flu jab with my doctor. They confirmed its not automatic protocol for people with FMS to have this jab, unless there are other underlining conditions.

We discussed how my body had dealt with flu's in the past and when I confirmed it takes 3 months to get back on my feet from a flu (not a cold) and another few moonths to lift the fatigue they agreed i would be best that I get the flu jab.

When I got the jab last year it left me feeling tired for 3 days then I was fine. I think it just depends on its cocktail mix, after all its never the same each year. I will still be requesting one this year.

I think its down to the individual and your GP.
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 pm

I asked my doctor, I think it's up to their discretion, and she just put me on the list like that. I think it's a really good idea to have one, flu would be absolutely horrific with FM! Colds are bad enough!
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby Maryanne » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 pm

I asked at my GP's surgery and was told that I am not entitled (Fibro & OA ) but, to go to Boots pharmacy. Boots said the charge is £13-00. The jabs are available from the last week in September through to end of October. They advised me to ring the branch before going along to make sure they have the vaccine in stock and that it is not busy. Hope this helps some of you that are in the same or similar position as me. My husband and I both had flu a few months back and we both felt like we were dying with it. At least my husband has not got to pay as he is old enough to qualify :hugs:
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Postby nogginpodge » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:38 am

I've been having the flu jab for the last 18 years on the recommendation of my G.P. Only once in that time did I have a slight reaction to the jab and, on checking with all my friends who also have the jab, they were the same. The reaction only lasted a day and wasn't severe.

Last year, however, I thought I would "wing it" just to see what happened. Well I got the flu and it laid me very low so I shan't be doing that again. I'm booking my flu jab this year for sure!
nogginpodge
UKFM Newbie

Postby janderhip » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I was quite shocked to find that FM sufferers do not qualify for a flu jab on the nhs. Having being wrongly diagnosed with Polymyalgia first i had up to this year always had a flu jab. I imagine that there are those that want/need the flu jab if it is £13.50 at Boots may have to consider the cost before health if it is that expensive.
As I have been my husbands carer whilst he has had Hodgkins Lymphoma,by registering as his carer with my GP am I "allowed" to have a flu jab. It's about time the government recognised the dehabiliting problems that FM brings to everyday life and existence.
janderhip
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I always have it through my gp but I have asthma so qualify on that. I also make sure my son receives it too. He's 9 but 2 years ago he had a couple of nasty asthma attacks as the result of a bad virus so even though he isn't diagnosed asthmatic the drs still give him the flu jab. Missed it one year as was constantly full of cold and couldn't have it and was really poorly so won't miss it again.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby mimildred » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for all your opinions.

I had just about decided against it, but having just managed to get out of bed after three days of being wiped out by a cold, I'm not so sure. Does anyone else get so poorly with a common cold????

I only usually get one cold per year (touch wood!) so hoping that will be it for another year..... :lol:
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia