Now a new problem

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Now a new problem

Postby katz65 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello :wave:
Back to the doctors yesterday for results to hip & lower back x-rays I was sent for to check my flare up was nothing more..
Turns out it was a flare up BUT found I have Arthritis in my back :( :shock:
I sort of left a bit stunned & didn't ask any questions as to what this will mean for me :-?
I realize I will have to go back & see the doctor to ask questions for a clearer understanding of what to expect :-|

I wonder why we have horrible Fibro, which is already hell BUT then end up getting more problems.... As I know from reading other peoples subjects & answers on here, that there a hell of a lot of you all with many other illnesses on top of Fibro & always thought how unfair it was & how do you cope with it all :!: :!:

If anyone else has arthritis of their back & can tell me anything I may find useful, it would be much appreciated, so I can learn all I can, its ok doctors telling you things or going online but I would like to think hearing about it from someone who has it would be a bigger help :-)

I am hoping I won't have much problem from it & I just keep managing the fibro, so :dunno: :fingerscrossed:
katz65
UKFM Member

Re: Now a new problem

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi hun x I have psoriatic arthritis. I'm told its under control without meds at the moment. But they're keeping an eye on it for me. Just thought I would let you know I have a form of arthritis too so you don't feel alone x They might start you on something to prevent it getting worse I'm not sure as my arthritis isnt restricted to one area. I did start on a disease modifying med but it made me very ill and havent been on anything since.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Theresa34
Thank you for replying,

I will definitely go back to doctors now I have got clearer in my head & ask him what he wants me to do next, he had mentioned something about pain clinic & MRI, but I was so stuck on him telling me arthritis in back & thinking this sounded not so good on top of the fibro, that I left without going into it... so will make appointment tomorrow, it will be about a week before I can get one though!

Look after yourself & Thanks again :-)
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:34 am

Katz65, I also have Osteoarthritis in my back.

It is in my hips, knees, hands, feet and neck also. Did your Dr say what type of arthritis you have? The first sign of osteoarthritis can be in your index or pointy finger. The first joint after the nail becomes stiff with the joint deforming. My finger got hard bumps on the sides at the joint. The tip fused and stopped bending, only to now bend sideways at the top.

There is nothing much that can be done, pain relief and to keep as active as possible. I find very warm baths help. I was also told by my surgeon to use ARNICA gel. It can be bought in a health food store or at the pharmacy. It smells awful but really helps. Make sure you buy 100% ARNICA. I rub it in after a bath. Another over the counter med was to get ALEVE. Check with your Dr first so it does not interact with meds you already take.

If there is an arthritis clinic near you I would make an appointment, they offer tons of info.

As my Dr said, you really don't need any more pain. I find the pain to be different from the fibro pain.

As said already, you are not alone. If we can all help each other, even in a small way, it makes life a bit more tolerable. Take care X
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Fibroised » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:48 am

Hi Katz65
Was diagnosed with scoliosis 30 years ago, and osteoarthritis about 13 years ago. I now have the arthritis everywhere and a couple of discs in my lower spine have crumbled, so I have lost 3 inches in height!!! Was diagnosed with fibro 18 months ago, by which time I was well into it and had loads of symptoms.
Pain of o.arthritis is different to fibro and can, with me anyway, be aggravated by damp weather. So heat, keeping your back well covered and warm is important. A TENS machine is a great investment. The relief I can get is nothing short of sublime!!! But in damp weather, unfortunately short lived. Last year when it was discovered I had the arthritis all over after a scan of my joints, recommended by my Rheumatologist, it was also found that my left heel is in a very bad state, as is my left knee. Strangely enough I never have problems from either!!! For years I also thought I had kidney problems, though tests were always neg. It was discovered a couple of years ago that where my spine really gets bad is also where the curve is. The area gets very inflamed and so swollen so seem to touch off my kidney, making that hurt! When that happens I make sure to drink plenty of water, just to keep the kidney well flowing as I have an irrational fear of it not functioning properly when the whole surrounding area blows up. Always good to drink plenty of water anyway.
I find paracetamol and codeine works best to ease the pain.
Maybe you should write down all your questions between now and your next appt, so that when you next see your doc, you will be clear and precise about what you want to know.
Good luck and soft hugs xxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Hello again..

I really would love to thank everyone who have answered my message on this part & on the FB page...
I am sorry to read that you all suffer with so many things but you have all been so inspiring to me as well & I have learnt so much from you all...
I understand why some pains I had felt different now...
I certainly am going to go back & I will do as you Fibroised have suggested & write things down before I go to see the doctor so I don't forget anything... He had mentioned that he could make an appointment for an MRI or pain clinic, so I will see about the MRI first & what parts will get looked at...
At least now I have an idea of what to expect & what will help...
Thank you xx
katz65
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia