Happiness has a price, ouch!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Happiness has a price, ouch!

Postby JDWench » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Started uni Monday (freshers week this week) while I'm a little older than a lot of students I'm still trying to keep up. I'm not partying but I'm getting involved. I was in Monday, luckily got to rest yesterday and today I trapsed all over campus and my god I feel a flare coming! Even the spot where I had my b12 injection this morning is on fire! I guess I'll have to rest up tomorrow instead of going to a social event at uni or seeing a friend in town which sucks. I can feel my body aching and throbbing and each pulsation hurts. This is what I get for being a normal person and enjoying a carefree life. The cool thing is one of my psychology lecturers is giving a talk on chronic pain Friday and is conducting pain studies. I've found my home at Bath Spa despite a 3 hour round trip commute I couldn't be happier and I'm not gonna show weakness to my stupid ailments, I got in my own way for years, I've finally got a shot at making something of myself.
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Happiness has a price, ouch!

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 pm

You're doing great hun xxx I'm feeling a bit achy and run down at the min. Started first thing this morning. But I'm happy to say that I have more good days than bad and that will do me :-D I too try to live a normal life. I will give into a day of not feeling great. But I will then continue as normal the following day. Resting in bed all day just isnt an option for me.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Good to hear you enjoy your studies :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby iblinkin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 am

JDWench, you are a true fibro warrior! :-D
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 am

Good for you JDWench!! I think you've got an awful lot of us Fibro people rooting for you! With so many people on your side you will do great! I didn't say it would be easy, but so worth it! I admire, respect and wish you all the best in your studies. And I'll pray for you (didn't say PAY for you haha). Blessings and all the best!
SoCaliGal
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:54 am

Enjoy yourself and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: that there is not too much pay back. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Roger Rabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 am

JDWench well done for having the strength of character to attend Uni. My daughter who is very unwell with migraines is 17 and trying to make the decision to go next year. She is visiting Uni's at the moment. You are truly brave but you are also realistic and know that it is going to take a lot of sensible head thinking, guts and determination. I wish you all the success you deserve and remember everyone is always here for you on this site at all different times of day and night. (we have fibro, some of us don't sleep!) xxx
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:06 am

well done JDWench :-D good luck in your studies
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 am

:woot: :woot: :woot: Good for you for taking that plunge into realising your dreams :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Yes, there will be payback, but you were aware of that before you started, and having that knowledge can help make it that little bit easier to deal with.

If it's on your list of things to do, then make a point of seeing the Student Disability Adviser as there may be ways in which your course/studies could be made a little easier to manage, such as access to additional equipment, software, extensions for assignments if needed etc.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: and keep enjoying yourself :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JDWench » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:13 am

Thank you everyone! Wow, that amount of support is a little overwhelming *must not cry* I'm already receiving support which is great. I've been given a recorder for days when I'm too tired to write or I have hand spasms, I have a programme that I can dictate my essays in to and a fantastic piece of software which helps me plan when I'm all fogged up.in addition to this I've been given permission to walk around during lectures if I need to and somebody told me that I can get something called a back friend. I received my timetable this morning, I can't wait!
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:17 pm

There's nothing wrong with a few tears now and again, esp when they're the good ones :-D :-D :-D

Whenever anyone shares something exciting, special and that clearly means a lot to them, we love to get all :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Hearing that someone is able to go on and do something that they were wanting/hoping/dreaming of doing in their lives can really help boost the beliefs of others that they may be able to go on and fulfil some of their aspirations too at some point in the future.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JDWench » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Everyone is able to fulfil their dreams, that sounds so corny but it's true. Yes, many sufferers aren't able to work and a lot of us have days, weeks, months where illness takes over but there are ways around it, I'm not entirely sure how to get around something which can ruin your life in the way that debilitating illnesses do but if we weren't able to find at least a little satisfaction in life I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be here. If a dream involves a career but you can no longer work try volunteering, most places cater very well for those with disability and there are ways you can help online, best case scenario - your efforts are noticed and you get paid to help. Setting little goals is a nice one even something as simple as having a shower, so what if it's normal and easy for others if you struggle but manage to achieve the goal you set, feel proud. I hate people who say "think positive" because it infuriates me! I'm not doing that I'm just saying when your stuck in a rut and feel down set a task and achieve it to give you an endorphin boost. I don't take my own advice and I'm starting to believe I might enjoy being miserable because for a long time I couldn't get out of it but that's no way to live.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Exactly and as Flup said the more we hear about people fulfilling a dream the better so onwards and upwards we are all behind you :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Wow that is fantastic!! I think sometimes that Fibro might hold me back and prevent me from achieving things, and then I read something like your story. I can't imagine doing either degree with the way I am feeling now, but you have made me feel that bit more positive today :mrgreen:

Enjoy your course!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby madchickenlady » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:11 pm

JDWench wrote:Everyone is able to fulfil their dreams, that sounds so corny but it's true. Yes, many sufferers aren't able to work and a lot of us have days, weeks, months where illness takes over but there are ways around it, I'm not entirely sure how to get around something which can ruin your life in the way that debilitating illnesses do but if we weren't able to find at least a little satisfaction in life I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be here. If a dream involves a career but you can no longer work try volunteering, most places cater very well for those with disability and there are ways you can help online, best case scenario - your efforts are noticed and you get paid to help. Setting little goals is a nice one even something as simple as having a shower, so what if it's normal and easy for others if you struggle but manage to achieve the goal you set, feel proud. I hate people who say "think positive" because it infuriates me! I'm not doing that I'm just saying when your stuck in a rut and feel down set a task and achieve it to give you an endorphin boost. I don't take my own advice and I'm starting to believe I might enjoy being miserable because for a long time I couldn't get out of it but that's no way to live.

Just wanted to say that I found this post very uplifting, I agree that being told to think positive doesn't always help but I like your idea of setting goals, I have days when I am off work where I am so tired from the effort it has taken me to be at work I just can't seem to do anything, my body hurts and my mind won't focus, but I'm going to try setting some goals for those days to help myself along
Good luck with your studies :-D
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia