Back again, been diagnosed

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back again, been diagnosed

Postby smile » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 am

Hi, just thought I would pop in to say how my last appointment went. All my further blood tests were normal and was told my symptoms/problems were due to fibromyalgia. I was prescribed amitriptyline to be taken a few hours before bedtime. I was also told that I could no longer do road running, now it was a case of low intensity aerobic exercise eg swimming/cycling. I haven't done much since, I went to the gym and did 20xmins on the bike. The problem is I am so used to high intensity exercise I am struggling to get my head around low intensity exercise and don't feel motivated to do it.

On top of that I am starting full time work very shortly. Not sure how I will manage, but I am sure I will work through it.

The amitriptyline I think has given me better sleep and has helped a little with the pain, however I have noticed if I do quite a lot in the space of day the pain gets worse.

Any ideas on how to get my head around gentle exercise?
smile
UKFM Newbie

Re: Back again, been diagnosed

Postby migrembe » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am

I think the only advice i can give you is don't stop the exercise, once you stop it seems harder to get going again. Good luck with the new job.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SooZ » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 am

I'm another one who likes to run but my body dos not like it. I found a type of yoga that uses muscle resistance as one of its key components, so it raises your heart rate to give you a good cardio workout but with no impact on your joints etc. it is called DDPYOGA, and it has worked wonders for my pain levels too.
Here is the link to the actual website www.ddpyoga.com
SooZ
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:20 pm

I was told to do something that gets my heart rate up, so I do dancing with Just Dance on the Wii for 30 min a time. Its great fun :-D I have also done Pilates via a DVD which is great for stretching and flexibility. You definitely need to keep up with some form of exercise. The last few days I've gone into a flare so too tired for my dancing, but will get back to it as soon as I can.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Nice to hear from you smile and good to see your update :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: At least now you know which form of beastie you're dealing with.

The exercise thing is quite a conundrum for most of us, so you're in good company on here. At the gym you go to, is there a trainer you could perhaps talk to for advice about how to make the transition from high impact to something more suitable for how you are now??? I know the road running will give you a certain kind of buzz, so you may find that you need to try a number of lower~impact forms to give you a similar kind of thing. Maybe look into a couple of things that could be done alternately or along side each other for a bit of variety.

Was there anything you wanted to learn or do as a child that might be suitable?? Or something that has planted a bit of a seed in your mind about wanting to find out more about it???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lindenp » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Maybe you could try still doing the exercise you like and if it causes you problems, pain etc then you can try something different. Pain is a great motivator and at least then it will be your own choice of what exercise to do that helps you keep fit and doesn't aggravate the pain. I have found that if you don't use it you lose it so don't stop exercising altogether.

Hope you find something you enjoy doing and get your motivation back.

Gentle Hugs
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia