Not coping to well

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not coping to well

Postby madchickenlady » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed about 11 years ago and have had varying symptoms all that time, the first year was really bad but I had excellent support and was sent on a course to learn how to manage my pain etc,this helped a lot at first then it varied as to how bad I was feeling, I then got angry and decided that Fibro wasn't going to rule my life and I was going to go and do everything I wanted to despite it making me feel terrible most of the time.

I've been very lucky in that I have two periods of remission, I know this is not thought possible but I swear that although my symptoms didn't go away completely they reduced enough for me not to need any meds, I don't have a clue why this happened or why it came back but it did, I have had constant symptoms over the last couple of years and this year so far has been really bad, I am having a hard time coming to terms with my life the way it is now, I am worried about how I am going to keep working as I have no option but to work,I am feeling so depressed and fed up I don't know what to do with myself.

I saw my gp and have been signed off work for the last few weeks, I didn't tell him how depressed I feel as he is a new gp to me because my old one retired, I just don't know how to explain it and feel like I should just get on with it, but I don't think I can,I am due to go back to work on the 5th of 0ctober but I don't honestly think I will be able to to. I thought if i was signed off for a couple of weeks it would give me chance to rest and that hopefully that would be enough to recharge my batteries, but I feel the same as I did on the first day i was off.

I am so worried about the future and what will happen to me, its driving me nuts. My best friend who I also work with came round the other day and was very sympathetic ,but she doesn't really understand what is wrong with me, she told me not to come back to work until I get it sorted, but its not ever going to be sorted is it and no matter how many times I explain people don't seem to grasp that idea
I have now been referred to the local pain management team so I am pinning all my on them :(
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Not coping to well

Postby libbiek30 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi I know how u feel and so do most on here. Having a positive attitude really helps but u will have gud and bad times. I gave in and got the doc to put me on the low dose of serterline it really helps me to cope. Also a low dose of amiltryptiline helps me to sleep and takes a bit of the pain away. I had acupuncture through my gp and that really helped so its worth a try c.if ur gp can refer u. Hope this helps and gud luck :-)
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply :-)
I already take amytripyline 3 times a day and Prozac once a day,they are both small doses though so maybe could be increased, I am going to see what the pain management people say about my meds, I've been on them for years and they don't seem to be helping at the moment,I have been reading lots of the posts on here and that has really helped me this evening :-D
I am normally quite a positive person but lately I am feeling tired of putting on a brave face all the time and my positivity has flown out the window, hope fully I will get back on top of it soon :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:51 am

Hi, just wanted to say I so know how you feel and hope you are able to get help from your pain clinic Maybe you should think about telling your GP how you are? If he's new to you but hasn't dismissed your fibro as "all in the mind" that's a good start! Sending gentle hugs and thinking of you. :hugs:
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby Amberk » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi, I also know how you feel, the thing about this site is we're all the same in the way and seem sympathy for each other. I would see gp again and learn to trust them enough ro tell them how you feel.
You really do need to. I tell mine everything no matter what and he is amazing.
Really lots of luck.
Warm hugs.
Amber.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:23 pm

I agree with the previous poster, you need to tell your GP how you are feeling, maybe if you had a course of one of the talking therapies it would help you find new ways of dealing with your pain and helping you to see that things dont necessarily have to be all doom and gloom

Try to get up the courage to speak to the doctor and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: he will be able to get you the help you need
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Another vote here for telling your GP exactly how things are for you at the moment. You could try writing it all down. If it all seems to come out in a jumbled rush, maybe try re~ordering then in priority of what you're finding the most difficult to deal with, and when you go and see this new one, take what you have written down with you,as you can use it as a reminder/prompt of what you want to say, and if things become a bit too much as you're going thru them, you can always give your notes to your GP to have a look thru, and see what they suggest.

If there is some room for manoeuvre dosage~wise in what you are currently taking, it could be worth considering a change. It doesn't have to be a permanent increase, sometimes having a small increase to get thru a particularly flary time and then going back to your more regular dose when you feel you're over it can be what is needed. Or maybe something extra added for a short time to help make you feel more comfortable could help. Talking therapies can also be beneficial, altho may not suit everyone. This could be something the Pain Management peoples you will seeing could suggest.

Things do build up, even when they may seem to be pretty calm and settled, add in a bit of an increase due to some additional worries and events, and before you know it, you're wanting to :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: Maybe letting that brave face have a bit of a rest and instead let some of that :scream-1: :scream-1: :too-upset: :too-upset: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: out could be what you need to do before you can start getting back on top of things again.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby madchickenlady » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am going to make another appointment to go back to my gp, I might not get to see him though because he is now on holiday for two weeks, at the moment every time I go I see someone different because there was a gap between my old gp retiring and this new one starting, hopefully I will be able to get an appointment next week, I am phoning to book my appointment at the pain management clinic tomorrow so hopefully there won't be a long wait, I was feeling really down when I posted last night but woke up this morning feeling a bit more positive so I think posting on here and getting it off my chest helped a bit, I don't tend to talk to my family and friends about how I am feeling because they don't understand or know what to say or do,I also work in a hospital and have unfortunately heard doctors talking about Fibromyalgia in a negative way, so I tend to think all doctors think like that, some of the ones I work with certainly do :(
I'm glad I joined this forum though because I can at least speak to people who understand what its like, thanks again for all your advice its really helpful :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:02 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:Another vote here for telling your GP exactly how things are for you at the moment. You could try writing it all down. If it all seems to come out in a jumbled rush, maybe try re~ordering then in priority of what you're finding the most difficult to deal with, and when you go and see this new one, take what you have written down with you,as you can use it as a reminder/prompt of what you want to say, and if things become a bit too much as you're going thru them, you can always give your notes to your GP to have a look thru, and see what they suggest.

If there is some room for manoeuvre dosage~wise in what you are currently taking, it could be worth considering a change. It doesn't have to be a permanent increase, sometimes having a small increase to get thru a particularly flary time and then going back to your more regular dose when you feel you're over it can be what is needed. Or maybe something extra added for a short time to help make you feel more comfortable could help. Talking therapies can also be beneficial, altho may not suit everyone. This could be something the Pain Management peoples you will seeing could suggest.

Things do build up, even when they may seem to be pretty calm and settled, add in a bit of an increase due to some additional worries and events, and before you know it, you're wanting to :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: Maybe letting that brave face have a bit of a rest and instead let some of that :scream-1: :scream-1: :too-upset: :too-upset: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: out could be what you need to do before you can start getting back on top of things again.

The smilies at the bottom of your post are a very realistic way of describing my what is going on in my head :lol:
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia