Slurred speech!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Slurred speech!

Postby Becs531 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:33 am

Hi everyone, I've not been formally diagnosed but my GP says he thinks it's fibro and I'm on 30mg/100mg co-codomol, Venlafaxine, and Amitriptyline. For just over 2 days I've been struggling to talk and when I can I sound drunk! It made for an awkward phone call with my son's school yesterday! It's nigh on impossible to get GP appointment (my friend phoned for me yesterday and was told I could get appt in 2 weeks!).
Is this speech problem common? At the same time my cognitive functions were seriously impaired. And I feel so incredibly tired... :cry:
Sorry...I don't like to moan but I just need some help. Many thanks
Becs531
UKFM Member

Re: Slurred speech!

Postby Miichelle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:43 am

Hi hun,

Daily I take FLUOXETINE, LEVOCETIRIZINE. RISPERIDONE, PROPRANOLOL, FENNOSTON-CONTI, FOLIC ACID, COLECALCIFEROL, PRAMIPEXOLE, DOSULEPIN, TRAMADOL, MEBEVERINE. I too have your symptoms but put it down to side effect of the drugs.
Miichelle
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

Hi

Yes slurred speech is a symptom for me too, quite embarrassing at times and I'm always apologising and explaining to people that I'm not drunk. I used to do a lot of public speaking but that is impossible now. Sometimes I also have to stop mid sentence because I just cant find the words I want to say, its very frustrating. I'm not convinced its the meds though because my meds have changed quite a bit the last few years and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Just that as the fibro gets worse so does my memory, speech, pain etc

Best to speak to your doc though because you are on different meds to me and in your case it could well be the medication. We are all different aren't we. Hope things improve for you soon

Soft hugs

Ria x
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby Becs531 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:58 am

My GP stopped the Meloxicam due to slurred speech previously but I have been on these drugs for a while with no specific side effects. I was just concerned about the incapacity to speak? I didn't know if it was a fibro symptom or if something else is affecting my cognitive functions.
Thanks Ria, my memory, ability to think clearly and speech have been bad last few days. But my son had to have T3MRI under anaesthetic last week due to epilepsy, so I was wondering if perhaps it might be a delayed reaction to my increased stress levels :( Soft hugs back :-)
Becs531
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 am

Hi, I have slurred speech, I put mine down to weak muscles or cognitive problems as I had it before I was taking any medication.

It could be a number of things, medication, increased stress levels or fatigue.

Best to speak with gp if it persists x
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby allen99c » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 am

Hi i get tired quite a lot i am also on amatryptaline at the max dosage of 150 mg i also take zoramorph for pain sometimes i dont even get out of bed due to tiredness both of these cause tiredness and i find that the amatryptaline can cause you to be suddenly so tired you cant keep your eyes open and it also feels like your drunk but try and get a call back from your doctor he might be able to advise you over the phone hope this helps and you get to speak to your doctor
allen99c
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sue12345 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi! I also have speech problems.Most of the time my voice just sounds weak.Sometimes my words are slurred and sometimes I have difficulty finding the right word or even finding any words at all.I have often wondered if it is the fibro but I also have confusional migraine.In my case it can not be blamed on meds as I am only on naproxen.
Sue12345
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Slurred speech is more to do with the meds you are taking than fibro, fibrofog gives you cognitive problems but doesn't necessarily affect your speech, you just cant remember things, words, people etc.

Speak to your doc as maybe all that is needed is a tweak of your medication, also if you haven't been on the meds for long then it could just be your body getting used to the strength you are taking, dropping the dose a little may be all that's required so that you build up to your current dosage slowly good luck and I hope things sort themselves out for you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby pepperpig22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi
I have slurred speech my face droops on one side and it sounds like im drunk I know when its going to start cos the nerves on my right hand side of face twitch its embarrassing to say the least im off sick again my relapse is due to injury from work in april this year and I am struggling to get it under control waiting to hear from OH from work and pip I have new symptoms hans shaking and welling of my feet and hands so fed up with it now trying to stay strong but too tired gentle hugs to everyone xx
pepperpig22
UKFM Newbie

Postby Becs531 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. My doctor phoned asking me to go in on Friday, so hopefully I may be clearer about it after then... I also found out that I have been formally diagnosed, it's just no one thought to tell me! :crazy:
Gentle hugs to everyone and stay hopeful for sleep :sleep: xx
Becs531
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Let us know what your GP says! I'm really interested! I had that once after my dr. put me on Tramadol and I did my own research and figured out that it was something called Serotonin syndrome. I was also on an SSRI (Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor) and the two of them don't play nicely together. It even said that on the paper the Pharmacy gives you when they dispense Tramadol. So I called my dr. and he agreed and apologized!!!!!! Apparently that can be very serious. I have no idea if this is the answer in your case; only your GP can answer that one. But everybody be careful about Tramadol and anything that affects your Serotonin.
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 am

Hi Beca531 . I often have slurred speech but If I'm under a lot of stress or something happens then my speech starts stuttering and then I know I'm having a flare up or if I go to sleep and wake up stuttering then I know I've had a flare up in my sleep. I agree that it could be because you've just started on the drugs as well cause this happed to me when I was first put on drugs when I was first diagnosed 14yrs ago and touch wood they have just about sorted me out with the correct meds!!! Please do let us know how you get on on Friday. If you want to to know what meds I'm taking then please don't hesitate to let me know so you can go to the gp prepared . Take care huni. X
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby Becs531 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi, my doc has done blood tests to rule out any other possibilities but he said it's definitely not meds causing this. Stephdawn, I have noticed that this is worse when I am stressed or having a bad time re: pain or tiredness. The physio has noted that my jaw tenses when my anxiety levels are high, which could also be a contributory factor x
Becs531
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia