medication

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

medication

Postby clb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 am

went to dr yesterday she has upted my amitriptaline to 40mg a day. still on tramadol (alhough i told her it was not working). she has also told me to take paracetamol.what with these being added and uped also on pregabalin 600mg a day feel like im a druggie. always forgetting what i was going to say or do. brain fog bad pain constant. i just feel like im useless now and hate not being able to do anything i used to do. :cry:
clb
UKFM Newbie

Re: medication

Postby denys » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Go back to the docs if the tramadol isnt working, there seems little point taking such a med if you arent getting any benefit, changing the time you take your amitryptiline may help too, make you feel a little less foggy
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby smig » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation, 50mg Amitriptyline, Tramadol, Paracetamol and back to Dr next week for my Pregabalin increasing from 300 mg daily.
I don't think the Pregabalin are working at this level for me because I need the Tramadol and Paracetamol too in the morning.
I have to say that the Tramadol do work for me.

i hope you find a combination that gives you some relief

regards

Steve
smig
UKFM Member

Postby sgirling » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:27 pm

hi, im on 80mg tramadol a day plus 600mg pregabalin and 60mg oxycontin, paracetamol and ibruprofen, i find this combo along with nortryptyline is better than amytryptyline ask your doctor if you can try the nortryptyline instead hun as you will be a little less foggy and if you incur any sickness with your meds then try ciclyzine hun its very good. best of luck hun as i know how hard it is to get right so you are fairly comfy xxx
sgirling
UKFM Newbie

Postby Willow5252 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:35 am

You have to be cautious with medication. I have had Fibro since 2007. I have tried everything the doctors can throw at you. I have a good GP and I see a Rheumatologist. I have tried, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Amitriptaline, etc. etc.. Nothing has made a difference. I have maintained my slow release Tramadol BD. It does dull the pain, though not thoroughly. I have to resort to an Oxycodone usually once a day. I tend to have a flareup late afternoon. My point is, it has been trial and error. You need to closely assess to see if the med is actually making a difference. If not, my advice is don't take it. What is the point. Your only making money for the Big Parmaceuticals. I am trying Valpro, slowly increasing over a few days. If this doesn't work, I am done. There is nothing else to try. The thing is these meds are either, anti seizure, or anti depressants. They are not designed with Fibro in mind, because they do not know how, or what causes the symptoms. All the best. Keep a close eye on it, and eliminate it if it is not beneficial
Willow5252
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 am

I totally agree with you Willow.

in my own personal experience most medication either gives me really bad side effects or just doesn't help.

yes, I know that's not the case for everyone, but it is true for at least some of us.

the other problem is knowing what are fibro symptoms and what are side effects of medication. that's a situation I'd really rather not be in - most medication puts me in what I call a 'zombie-like' state where I just can't function. I'd honestly rather have the pain - even though it gets so bad it makes me cry at times - than have the extra complications of medication side effects as well.

but - as they say - your mileage may vary :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Just be careful if you do decide not to take your meds that you either come off them under the supervision of your gp or you do it very very slowly especially if you have been on them a long time, I stopped taking amytriptyline once in one go and I was very ill
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Having tried just about everything offered for fibromyalgia over the 25 years I have learned a thing or two.

If you are taking medication and it is not doing what it is supposed to.....see Dr to remove it.

If you are taking a medication and the side effects are bothering you.....see your Dr

If you are taking a medication and you are dopey, drowsy, feel stoned.....see your Dr. Your med is likely too strong.

There is no point taking medication if it is not helping you. You are likely doing more damage taking it. See your Dr.

DO NOT...alter what has been prescribed without your Dr's knowledge.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia