Pain Management Appointment

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Management Appointment

Postby madchickenlady » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Well I phoned my gp surgery on Monday and asked them to sign me off for another two weeks the certificate I have now runs out on the 5th so they are giving me a new one that will run until the 19th, I am then hoping this flare will have calmed down although that's not looking likely at the moment, I phoned to organise my pain management appointment and the earliest date they could give me is the 22 of December :shock: so I am just going to have to go back to work before I see them as I can't afford to be off that long, I do get paid full pay for 6 months but I don't get any unsocial hours I was rostered to work and I need the extra money, oh well hopefully I will be ok to go back, I was also signed off over my holiday so can claim that back, so I might ask if I can go back on short shifts for the first week and use that annual leave up on those shifts
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Management Appointment

Postby Angell173 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 pm

What sort of work do you do?
Angell173
UKFM Newbie

Postby padders » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 am

Hi
Sounds like to me you are going round in circles, worrying about work and pain management and most likely every thing else.
This will only make you feel worse and hinder your recovery.
You say 6 months full pay, so I would use it all and take your time slowly to recover.
I have done 2 pain management courses.We sat in a group talking and listening, learning about pacing ourselves and not over doing it on good days as it would soon end up a bad day! Was told some of the pain was maybe in our heads and was taught how to close the pain gate. This never worked for me sad to say but I have tried hard to close the gate!
Good luck
Lisa
padders
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Angell173 wrote:What sort of work do you do?

I am a nursing auxiliary at my local hospital, I do 3 long days a week (12 hour shift) I found this easier than working 5 short shifts which are 7.5 hours, I have taken lots of time of over the years but only odd days as I try to get back to work as soon as possible,this is the first time I have been signed off in the 11 years since I was diagnosed, I am already being formally monitored by my managers and HR department and will now probably have to go to a hearing about my fitness to do my job, I can't afford not to work but I really don't know what I am going to do if this flare doesn't calm down :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:34 pm

padders wrote:Hi
Sounds like to me you are going round in circles, worrying about work and pain management and most likely every thing else.
This will only make you feel worse and hinder your recovery.
You say 6 months full pay, so I would use it all and take your time slowly to recover.
I have done 2 pain management courses.We sat in a group talking and listening, learning about pacing ourselves and not over doing it on good days as it would soon end up a bad day! Was told some of the pain was maybe in our heads and was taught how to close the pain gate. This never worked for me sad to say but I have tried hard to close the gate!
Good luck
Lisa

Yes you hit the nail on the head there, I am going round in circles, even my line manager said that to me, I phoned the matron on my ward to let them know when my appointment is and I think he was shocked, he told me not to come back until I got sorted but I know that anything they do at the pain clinic isn't going to cure me, I think he thinks they will get rid of my problem and that will be the end of it but thats not going to happen
I went on a pain management course a few years ago and the advice they gave back then seemed to work, its just not working now, I don't know what has changed but I have suddenly got worse over the last year, I also picked up a leaflet at my gp surgery about a local counselling service that I can go to, its free so I am going to make an appointment with them to talk things through
My gp told me that the pain clinic have lots of new treatments they can try that weren't around when I last went, so I am hoping they might have something that will help
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia