Does getting cold affect you?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does getting cold affect you?

Postby Janewheelan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Is anyone else affected by the cold? I am having dreadful problems where I can feel myself getting cold, and once it happens no matter how many layers I put on I can't seem to stop it. My body feels hot to the touch, almost like its burning up with a fever, yet I am freezing cold, and hurt all over with aches, (it feels like the feeling you get when you're coming down with something)

My temp regulation for hot, is shot to pieces, I can't do heat as i feel like I'm going to overheat and I sweat like a pig, to the point where sweat is running down my face, dripping off my nose and my hair is soaking. I'm wondering if my temp regulation for cold is malfunctioning too?!!

Does anyone else experience this?
Janewheelan
UKFM Newbie

Re: Does getting cold affect you?

Postby Lisalou » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness... I feel like I have read about myself.
Silly FM bodies.
Hugs xx
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Oh yes,
that sounds familiar :roll:

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby Janewheelan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Sleep seems to be the only thing to alleviate it. I wrap myself up in the duvet and go to sleep freezing, at some point whilst asleep I seem to warm up and wake up boiling hot, but at least kicking the covers off solves the too hot problem!
Janewheelan
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

I sometimes have to get into a hot bath to try to get warm. The funny thing is that I can be perfectly warm and within a minute I start to feel cold although the temp in the room or wherever I am hasn't changed :-? It can happen to me the other way as well. I can feel a bit cold sometimes then suddenly get hot and sweat runs down my forehead !! I just assume this was another or fibro's strange symptoms :pull-hair:
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Yes, I feel cold frequently to the point of pain. Washing my hands in cold water or getting something out of the freezer is really bad sometimes. Even while it's going on, I can feel like I have a fever.

Hot showers help. I know some fibro sufferers can't stand the pressure of showers, but I find it alleviates my aches and helps with the cold too.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh my goodness, yes! Unfortunately, so many of us have this malfunctioning inner thermostat. Heat likewise has me dripping. I've found sage extract helps a little. As for the cold, sometimes I feel as if I have a lump of ice in my belly. Layers go on, then off, then on, then off ... so uncomfortable. It might sound odd but the most important comfort for me is to make sure my feet are warm. Natural fibres are best I find, anything synthetic makes them sweaty and then they get cold and clammy and impossible to warm. So invest in a good pair of merino wool socks/slippers - a delight to wear. Soft and non-scratchy, unlike so many other wools. Good luck with it. :snowgrumpy:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Yes......certainly, hot and cold weather. I suppose autumn and spring are more suited to me. I often think when I am so cold....I can try with more clothes to warm up, but when too hot.....more difficult especially if you have to be out in high temperatures :!:

My doctor once told me with fibro.....your thermostat is broken......I know now he was not joking lol

I have so often thougt I must be going down with flu and have even taken my temp....which is normal?? It is only after sleeping overnight will this horrible feeling improve. Then in summer I am dripping, wet hair etc., I am post menopausal now so I thought it may improve, but no such luck :(

Fibro certainly puts us through our paces......but so good to be on here and know we are not alone, and through it all we try our very best to keep smiling :-)

Take care. Gilly x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:06 am

Yes absolutely, i find if my feet stay warm, I am OK. The pain when my legs get cold is unbearable. Then I sweat cobbs, like you it runs. I sleep with fleece blankets, they are softer and lighter. Then a summer quilt in winter, used to have a 10 tog when my hubby was alive n had his half thrown over me too. Now as long as I don't get cold legs, i cook.
Strange malady this is !? :crazy:
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 am

Yep my thermostat is well and truly busted. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 pm

This is something that comes up on a pretty regular basis, and seems to affects a good number of us at some point along the way. It's something that has plagued me for many, many moons, well before FM was on the scene. It would only take a small change in temperature for me to be either boiling or freezing, and it's still like it today, the only differences being that it now takes an even smaller change in temperature, and the way I respond to the changes is much more pronounced. One night I started shivering when in the bathroom, and by the time I'd made it back into the bedroom, it was so bad that OH was seriously thinking I might be having a seizure. It was only when I started to warm up again did things start to calm down.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:00 pm

My rheumotologist (really can't spell that!) told me it is unrelated to FM :roll:

My main problem is I get way too hot, even when it's 6 degrees. I've worn as little as possible for a long time, even over last winter, and tried cold drinks and downing water like it's going out of fashion but nothing works.

However, I've had about 8 incidents since January when I've been really cold, to the point of shivering, and nothing warms me up. It's weird when that happens because I always used to be cold anyway, and my hands are always cold due to poor circulation. So being cold feels normal, and feeling hot feels abnormal still.

Today I've been so cold I've whacked the heating on :oops:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Hellyn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 pm

YesYesYes!!!
I spent 7 weeks in Kos this year and fibro was so low grade. Temps in the 80s and 90s and I felt like the old me most of the time. Swimming in the sea as it is mineralised, the sun on most of me, riding a bike....being able to read (8 books!)...and no stress. It was heaven!!

Now? arggh.. I now know that I'am a reptile.

Hellyn. :snowgrumpy:
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

I too really feel it when it's cold. It hurts so much that I feel like it's in deep into my bones. Having a hot bath really helps but only whilst I'm in the bath. As soon as I get out I'm cold again. Same with the heat too. I sweat so much and it doesn't matter how much deodorant I use.
Nobody else I know is like this except for my 2 friends that also have FM and people on here so it must be FM related.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:49 pm

Absolutely!! I wasn't so good before the cold spell, now I'm terrible. Can't get warm for love nor money! The only place like others have said in under the duvet. I lie there feeling freezing, wondering if my body will ever warm up and eventually it does. The coldness feels like a real bone cold feeling. Wishing for summer already!! X
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia