Varying Degrees Of Fibro.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Varying Degrees Of Fibro.

Postby becbob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I have been diagnosed with fibro for a year now and I'm still trying to find a good combo of drugs to help. I was placed on Duloxetine and it did wonders at first but now it does nothing. Also on 300mg of Tramadol a day and Amitrptyline 30mg.
It is so bad again and I'm now in the process of giving up work. I am so sore, stiff and in pain a good 90% of the time. It's so bad that I need help bathing and getting dressed, cooking and even my food needs cutting up. But every once in a blue moon I wake up to very little stiffness or pain. I am never 100% pain/stiffness free but I will feel great compared to my "normal". It's remarkable the difference between the 2. I know it wont last long and usually by the end of the day I'm back to my normal pain and stiffness. Today was one of those days. I managed a couple of hours of walking round town and had a little shop. It was heaven but now back to the pain. I know I should rest at these times but I think sod it and make the most of it.
I was just wondering if anybody else has it like this. For days you can barely do anything, even walking to the loo is an impossible task and the next day you feel great. You would think that there would be some middle ground but no. It's either all or nothing. I would love to hear about others who are like this too.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Re: Varying Degrees Of Fibro.

Postby denys » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 pm

It is a very variable condition so yes its possible to feel better on some days than others and in fact I would say we all feel like that time to time
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sgirling » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi i totally know how you feel hun as it could have been me wrote this yes it does seem to be all or nothing i have been having trouble with most of my body and having had 2 discs removed doesn't help. chin up hun live for the good days i know i do, lots of gentle hugs xx :-)
sgirling
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:58 pm

becbob.....yes,I think it is quite common to have good days and then the worst of days. Myself over the 25+ years., I have become used to what I call my normal self, my good self and my not so good.

Normal self is how I feel the most. I can tolerate the pain, confusion etc. I think that is because I am accustomed to it and with my treatment have it under control enough to smile on a daily basis.

My good self are days when I feel I can do a bit more. I garden for 15 minutes, go for a good walk, shop or a nice car ride out.

Then comes the not so good. Usually because I have not respected the good and enjoyed myself a wee bit too much. Those are the days I want to be left alone, stay in bed in the dark and be miserable in silence.

I think that how we approach things are what gives us quality of life. Myself, I have accepted the way things are. I know my limits. I enjoy the good days to the fullest. I pay for my self abuse. I

It does seem at times all or nothing. You will learn to balance things so you have more of the "tolerable" days. Days where the pain is still there but you manage, and I don't mean manage that you can do a run around high street, stopping at every shop. Tolerate, live a life where you are reasonably happy and content.

Remember, you are not alone .
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Sillybugs » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:55 pm

I don't know what works for others, but the most effective drug I use is Gabapentin. I am on a variety of other painkillers including Amitryptline but I know that if I drop down just two caps per day I stiffen up and am in considerably more pain. I think Pregabalin is very similar and some find that effective but, as my Dr tells me, they're considerably more expensive. There is nothing that has completely dealt with all pain which, it seems, I have to accept.
Sillybugs
UKFM Newbie

Postby bumble54 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:01 pm

I didn't know what I had in 1998 when I was forced to stop working. fatigue, pain, plus I also had ulcerative colitis. it was many years later that I was diagnosed with Fibro. now I am in a kinda catch 22 where I am addicted to my pain meds, Tramadol two four times a day and Gabapentin one three times a day plus other stuff for blood pressure and thyroid. the catch is that when I am on my meds (all the time) I have stiffness and some pain but feel a bit high sometimes so I cant work like that. or the other way where I don't have meds and I can't move for pain. I tend to have a couple of hours in the morning where my meds have kicked in and I can do ''normal'' things but by lunch time I am back in bed asleep
bumble54
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Yes it is varying for me. At the beginning I had more bad days than good. And I always got payback for two days after doing the housework or exercising. But then I started on the ami and the vitamin D and I now have more good days than bad. It can also vary during the day. I can be walking fine and then suddenly something starts hurting and I have to go at a slower pace. This happened today. I am not in pain all day throughout the day like I used to be. But I still get those days that I would rather miss!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Ps I started gabapentin to go with the ami about four or five weeks ago. I'm sure its helping too x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:32 pm

I get days where I don't feel so bad, I had one yesterday and really enjoyed myself but I am paying for it today, I have to go back to work next week so I will be working one day then resting the next just to cope :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia