Five minute memory

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Five minute memory

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 am

I am getting increasingly irritated with my brain! I think its this past month that it's gotten worse, but my memory is so short its ridiculous. I set reminders for everything in my phone. Even of its for something silly. You tell me one thing and in a few minutes, that conversation never happened. Or I see someone do something then I forget or I put something somewhere and completely forget and end up searching high and low for it. My words are in the wrong order and sometimes I out the wrong word in place of what I meant to say. My head feels incredibly empty! I get so annoyed that sometimes I cant be bothered to finish the ridiculous sentence I started. Just want to scream! :evil:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Five minute memory

Postby Sue12345 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:38 pm

It's not just me then.My memory and cognitive function has been so bad that at one point I was convinced I had early dementia.
Sue12345
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Sue12345 wrote:It's not just me then.My memory and cognitive function has been so bad that at one point I was convinced I had early dementia.

Me too!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Izwiz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 pm

I replied to this post and just as I was going to enter it, my battery died. I now cannot remember any of the previous text I had written, so I'll just add Me Too! I'll now go and meditate a bit to try and find what's left of my brain. :crazy:
Izwiz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hellyn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:12 pm

5 minute memory....family find it funny..so do i sometimes but frustrating...have laugh at some of the words i make up tho...but in the back of my mind i do worry about the progression and if it will get worse as i get older...

:yikes:
hellyn
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby TLumsden » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:04 pm

My memory got so bad once that when i was at work i forgot having a conversation with a friend and he says we spoke for over an hour but to this day i can't remember talking to him. He went upstairs for 3 hours and when he came down i asked what time he came in and he thought i was having a laugh with him. I also put words in the wrong place in sentences and mess up in conversations and my speech sometimes slurs like i am a wee bit drunk. I can't recall facts or names and have stopped watching quizzes on tv as i never recall the answers and also forget the question. My spelling is suffering too as i forget how to spell and have made mistakes writing this which i have hopefully corrected. My kids think it is funny when i talk and forget the names of household goods and call everything the thingy.
TLumsden
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I worry about the progression of this. Its so hard not knowing whether I will get worse with everything or what. The future is very uncertain. I just hope I find a way of sorting my head out. I too have tripped over words and struggle to get them out. Its so embarrassing when I talk to a stranger or someone at the kids school (office). I don't know what people must think! Sometimes when I put the wrong word in my sentence i don't notice until someone in my family correct me or I rethink what I just said as I'm sure the word sounded odd.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Five minutes is a long time for me!! I have always had a shocking memory anyway so this is not as noticeable to me, but there is one thing that drives me mad and it's forgetting what someone said literally the second after they said it. I am not kidding unfortunately. I have to write/make notes straight away, otherwise I will go back to someone and ask them to repeat what they said. It is seriously embarrassing as when I tell people they always say "oh my memory is bad too" - no, you really don't get it, this isn't bad this is non-existent! :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:47 pm

My memory and thought process are rubbish to. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby debbiealison » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes me too I made a word up this afternoon and was trying to think what it was..... I is bad enough having the pain without this fog. Some times I can not remember what I just watched on tv.
debbiealison
UKFM Member

Postby Sillybugs » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:03 pm

You know it's a bit of a relief to me seeing your posts, I too have been anxious about my 2 second memory. I'd put it down to the meds a take but now I think it's probably a combo of both. I find it frustrating & tiring but thank heavens it's not just me- sorry to find comfort in other's misery but maybe I/ we can all stop beating ourselves up over it.
Sillybugs
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Sillybugs wrote:You know it's a bit of a relief to me seeing your posts, I too have been anxious about my 2 second memory. I'd put it down to the meds a take but now I think it's probably a combo of both. I find it frustrating & tiring but thank heavens it's not just me- sorry to find comfort in other's misery but maybe I/ we can all stop beating ourselves up over it.

I know what you mean. It means you're not alone :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:05 am

I've just been out with a couple of friends. I asked one of them what she wanted to drink and she said rum and coke. So I asked if it was white or dark rum, diet or normal coke. She said dark rum and diet coke. I said ok white rum and coke then!!!! The awful thing was I was convinced I was right!!! :face-slap:

So no you're definitely not on your own!
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:24 am

So glad I aren't the only one. I laugh now but what if it does get worse?!
When i was at work, as a paediatric nurse, the girls on ward laughingly said my senior moments had senior moments. Not altogether joking,but good natured, but oh so true.
I go with it, if it was cancer or Parkinson's or something more "recognised", we wouldn't be so apologetic about it, when we get muddled or can't manage. I apologise, with a disclaimer now, sorry I am struggling, having a bad day, does anyone who doesn't know you need to know anything more specific? I / we have an illness that affects the nerves resulting in.....let's not beat ourselves up over it.
Sorry ramble over fairy_dust
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:53 am

I can also suffer with this which sometimes can be worse and I think it can get worse and develop into something worse
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia