Five minute memory

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Five minute memory

Postby dazzleship » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:46 pm

My memory is terrible lately and the worst of it is, I always had a very good memory (could remember every postcode we'd lived at over the years, phone numbers, car registrations etc etc.)

I could even remember birthdays of people in pop groups or programmes that I liked :-) and regale hubby with "ooh today it's so-and-so's birthday". (He probably thinks it's a good thing that I can't do that now :mrgreen: )

I work as a computer programmer and I could always 'store' several numbers or values in my head as I switched from one code script to another, no problem at all.

You know those 'brain games' type programmes on TV? I was always good at the memory ones, like remembering an ever-increasing series of numbers.

But now... I just can't. My short term memory is pretty much ruined. I'm working on a code script at the moment and I flicked from one tab in the editor to another to check a value, and by the time I flicked back to the tab with the code script I couldn't remember the value anymore.

So like others have said, I write things down. A lot. and set lots of reminders in outlook.

The other thing I do is forget words. I'll be saying something and then suddenly I'll just stop dead mid-sentence, as I try to remember what on earth the word was that I was going to say.

I don't know about anyone else but for me it feels like I'm reaching into my brain, like it's just almost tentatively out of reach, and sometimes I can follow a sort of train of thought of pattern of words to eventually reach the word I want, other times I just give up and can't say it.

For me its' very frightening :-? because I notice such a big difference in how I used to be, because I was always so good at remembering things. Hubby has noticed the difference too. I was always the one who remembered things, and now I can't. :( You know? It's not like I wasn't very good in the first place. I was, and now I'm not. And it terrifies me.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I completely agree on the forgetting between flicking from one screen to another. At work I was doing that and I had to flick between three times before I could finally remember it between screens! I mean!

and also the forgetting words, yes, I had this happen a little over the last 5 years and found it so frustrating, but now it's almost every sentence there will be a pause while I think of the right word. My partner thinks it's funny, I find it frightening.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:18 pm

I find it frightening too. My memory was great. Myndaughter has had health problems for a few years and I was reminding her consultant of dates and months etc and which illness and meds and what tests had been done when, to save her going through a big file. She commented on how good my memory was. Now its practically none existent. My concentration on making enchiladas tonight which I've made lots, I struggled to remember how. I read the instructions several times and I still messed up!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:14 am

does anyone else have problems with concentration?

I don't know if it's related to the memory problems but I often find it really hard to stay focused on something.. my mind just wanders.. and I have to sort of force my mind to reel back in and focus on what I'm supposed to be doing.

:roll:

isn't it fun. :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I can really relate to everything dazzleship has said on here, and some of the other things other people have said also.

.... people say to me that they have had conversations with me and I don't remember the conversation..at all, I find that really scary and embarrassing. I am always stopping mid-sentence because I cant recall a word that I need, and I cant think of anything similar that could mean the same sort of thing because I seem to have lost the word entirely and a lot of the time it doesn't come back and I just give up. Its very frustrating. I struggle with names for items, like someone else said and I call things thingy's all the time cos I don't remember the word/name for them. People find it funny at times, sometimes I do. Sometimes I come out with utter rubbish.

We are certainly not alone eh? :shock: :-)
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I totally forget having conversations with people too, not so good at work! :oops:

Dazzle - yes, my concentration is terrible. I was always good before, I had to sometimes read very legal documents, and now I can barely read a page or two before my mind wandering over there. Which makes reading books, something I used to love, very hard :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:07 pm

I am doing an access course at college and I am finding it's taking me a week to write up my journal. :crazy:

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Paisleyjane wrote:So glad I aren't the only one. I laugh now but what if it does get worse?!
When i was at work, as a paediatric nurse, the girls on ward laughingly said my senior moments had senior moments. Not altogether joking,but good natured, but oh so true.
I go with it, if it was cancer or Parkinson's or something more "recognised", we wouldn't be so apologetic about it, when we get muddled or can't manage. I apologise, with a disclaimer now, sorry I am struggling, having a bad day, does anyone who doesn't know you need to know anything more specific? I / we have an illness that affects the nerves resulting in.....let's not beat ourselves up over it.
Sorry ramble over fairy_dust

You are so right, we wouldn't be apologising if we had Cancer or Parkinsons and people would be more understanding than they are now if they knew how this affects our everyday living, I joke about my memory as its now become legendary in its awfulness,it does worry and annoy me though especially when I can't remember how to spell words,I've always had a quick witted mind but now I feel like my head is full of cotton wool most of the time, it drives me nuts :-x
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 pm

i get half way through a conversation and totaly forget what I was talking about never mind what I was going to say next! :oops: Iv never been good with names but was great with numbers, now I struggle to give my phone number when asked. and at work I tend to write down instructions if i'm doing anything different to normal as for spelling well thats just a bit of a no no, and its not the best thing when your a classroom assistant lol, I teach all the kids how a dictionary works instead of helping them lol. and i love who ever invented spell checks :-P
galio
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:20 am

madchickenlady wrote:You are so right, we wouldn't be apologising if we had Cancer or Parkinsons and people would be more understanding than they are now if they knew how this affects our everyday living,

it's terrible that we feel we have to be so apologetic, isn't it? not just with memory problems but it seems with everything about Fibro we are constantly having to justify it or make apologies for it, whereas if it was a "recognised" illness we wouldn't need to do that.

it's as if we have to validate it, somehow. :-| :roll:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia