Hypermobility - Fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypermobility - Fibromyalgia

Postby Karen14 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Folks,

I have hypermobility (as do my two daughters) and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2009. When I was talking to the rheumatologist, she was suggesting that a lot of joint pain I'd had in my teens was down to the hypermobility (not RA as originally diagnosed), but could also have been early stages of FM.

I was also diagnosed with ME in 2004, so have the double whammy!

I wondered if anyone else with FM also had hypermobility and if they found this made things worse. My hand and feet seem to be my main problem areas and my ankles, which are my most hypermobile areas.

Thanks
Karen
Karen14
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hypermobility - Fibromyalgia

Postby heatherp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi, I have both but didn't find out about the Hypermobility until a few years ago, then the Fibro diagnosis came afterwards. Looking back to my childhood definitely had signs then but just put it down to other things.
heatherp
UKFM Member

Postby tracey65 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Wats hypermobility I av fibro thanks x
tracey65
UKFM Newbie

Postby Karen14 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm

I was only diagnosed with hypermobility after my third child was diagnosed with it and low muscle tone - we then discovered I had it and my middle child.
Karen14
UKFM Newbie

Postby Becs531 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I have hypermobility and fibro x
Becs531
UKFM Member

Postby charlotteerika » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:59 pm

I was diagnosed with both at the same time 2 years ago, yes there is a link!
charlotteerika
UKFM Member

Postby Maryanne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:02 pm

This was suggested at my first appointment with the rheumatologist and I had never even heard about it before let alone suspected anything like it :yikes: . Came back home and consulted Dr Google and started to panic :shock: He changed his mind and had sent a letter to my GP saying it was fibro. GP thought at the time it may have been RA as I had tested borderline with the blood work.
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Postby froghop65 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Hiya...I was diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (it also affects my organs) when I was 36. It destroyed the stability of my feet & with it my weight training, 10k running & my aerobics. I use a stick now as it has affected my ankles, knees, hips the small of my back. I also have peripheral neuropathy & fibro 18mnths ago approx. Even tho my sleep is medicated, to be pain free is wonderful. ♥
froghop65
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm

hi

I have hypermobile joints (8 out of 9 scored on Beighton test about a year ago) but I haven't been diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. It's something I want to ask the rhumatologist if I ever get the appointment I've been waiting forever for.

interesting what you say about joint pains as a teenager. I used to get terribly achy legs when I was in my teens, so achy I would cry. my mum used to say I had 'rhumatism' like her. but I was never taken to a doctor to ask about it. I always used to go over my ankles - the amount of times I'd sprain them is ridiculous. can't wear high heels.

so like I said I had the Beighton test about a year ago or a little less. that's when I was told I was hypermobile. I get terrible pains in my knees and hips (and sometimes elbows). I don't know if it's fibro or hypermobility.

my worst problem is when I walk. my knees bend backwards and my ankles flop out to the side. I'm not exaggerating when I say I walk on the outsides of my feet a lot of the time. if I didn't use crutches I'd have fallen over long ago.

so that's my story :-D I do wonder whether fibro and hypermobility are connected somehow as a lot of us seem to have both?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm

I was told I had hyper mobility when I was sent for physio for my aches and pains. It was excruciating murder by the way and she only did 3 out of 4 appts, caused me more pain than I had.
I have big problems with my feet, ankles and hands too, amongst others.
They won't "label" my fibro because of the cocktail of medication I am on after a Renal Transplant but most of my medications now are pain killers for the fibro symptoms.
Looking back I have always had problems that could be accounted to hyper mobility. The fibro might have been around for years too but got really bad after my transplant and being on imunosuppressants.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi I too was told by the rheumatologist that I had joint hypermobility due to doing gymnastics when I was younger. That was when I was also diagnosed with osteoarthritis of my hands , neck and lower back. I have had symptoms of fibro for as many years as I can remember but rheumatologisat I saw said I was 'too sane to have it!!!' I am however now on gabapentin and for the first time in years my pain is better controlled ( thanks to my new GP!) I have had Tramadol, amitryptilene, diclofenac, co codamol and naproxen over the years, all of which I hated taking for various reasons!
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

My daughter was diagnosed as being hypermobile after many years of her ankles going over, knees giving way and pain in joints. I have only recently been diagnosed with Fibro and during that assessment, hypermobility was seen as being present too. My daughter has many fibro type symptoms too, altho no diagnosis - I will not pursue until she gets through her teenage years as GP just dismisses as "growing pains" - she is not too troubled and fingers crossed it is just her age. All things considered I have wondered whether there is a link between the two.
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi I got diagnosed with both earlier this year, I have suspected the hypermobility syndrome for a while I suffered painful legs as a youngster and ankles would turn at the slightest hint of uneven surfaces, the hypermobility was a boon when I was into gymnastics but certain activities always made me struggle, the last few years I went from being very bendy to very stiff and sore on seeing my gp he thought it was fibro but i asked for referral to rheumatologist about the joint problems and was not suprised to get the double dx my son has really bad HMS and probably has fibro too but has not got dx for that, he was only dxd with the HMS 4 years ago, his gp kept saying it was growing pains and at that point he was 26!
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia