I said things had changed dramatically..

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I said things had changed dramatically..

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 pm

... in my post about trying out a wheelchair I left it by saying that things had changed dramatically at the weekend. it was too long to explain in that post so I thought I'd start a new thread hope that's ok.

I've just read over this post and realised how long it is. sorry :oops: hope it's ok to read - I cant' think how to shorten it without still getting what I want to say across.

well. I can't believe things have changed so fast but here goes.

by the end of Saturday night we'd both agreed that I needed something so that I can still get out and about and have a life, and the solution inevitably seemed to be a wheelchair. hubby said he was happy to push me in it. so we started looking at wheelchairs online but they were quite expensive. we weren't sure what to do so we left it for the night.

but then. Sunday morning, I found an advert on a secondhand site for a manual wheelchair, barely used. £50! I phoned up - it was still available. and not too far from where we live. I'm shaking as I write this. we went and tried it out - it was perfect for me. I could even push it a bit myself it was easier to push and steer than the Morrisons one.

so upshot is, we bought it. it folds and fits in our car! we straight away went to a small retail park to try it out. it was busy, so we had to park quite far away. but unlike if I'd been using my crutches, I didn't mind, because I didn't have to walk all the way from the car to the shops! I suddenly felt I had freedom after so long.

hubby pushed me to the shops ("shall we try warp drive") he said as he sped up to a walking speed he was comfortable with. once inside the shop I was able to push myself for little bits, it manouevres like a dream!

we went into Halfords and came out with some clip on plastic flowers for the spokes of the wheels. (cue this look from hubby: :roll: )

we were both happy. for the first time in a long time we'd had a shopping trip where I didn't complain once about not being able to walk, or that I was in pain, or how far away the shops were, or anything. we just had a nice time out. and because hubby was pushing my wheelchair (wow that's a hard thing to write - "my wheelchair") he was happy cos he could go at a pace he found easy.

and we were close cos, well ok we couldn't hold hands like we always did in the past but we were together instead of me trying to keep up on my crutches.

back at home I applied the plastic flowers to the wheels. and I found a small pocket on the back of the wheelchair, which just happens to be the right size for a teddy bear I have. :-D

I'm currently feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness. it's scary to need this, and although I'm excited about 'personalising' it I'm still unsure about it - if that makes sense. whenever I look at it, it's such a strange feeling. hard to describe. I'm excited by it but scared of it too.

but now.. I'm actually looking forward to our trip into the city next weekend. :-D
Last edited by dazzleship on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: I said things had changed dramatically..

Postby xadiym » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:15 pm

You know that made me get tears in my eyes. I'm so happy for you dazzle. I know you are scared. But that's normal. Change is scary. But wow woman! What a change it is! You are happier, hubby is happier and at the end of the day that's what you ultimately want. Is just some happiness :) I say you need streamers girl! Hugs and more hugs to you!

Buy the way.......50 pounds?! What a steal LOL

Xxxx
xadiym
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:20 pm

thanks xadiym :-)

I've been trying to edit the post a bit to make it less long but still get my feelings across, if that makes sense. thanks for reading it!

I realised reading over my post how happy I sound - and I feel like I've improved my life (this sounds terribly dramatic doesn't it) but I honestly can. not. believe. the difference it made just to a little trip to a retail park.

I've always hated how I've been complaining about pain/tiredness/distance to car etc when we've been out - it's not fair on hubby. but now it's like I don't have to worry about that.

and yeah - £50. I feel sad for the circumstances of why it was sold :( (I don't think I need to explain why) but I feel like it is just right for me, you know? I feel positive about the future, for the first time in a long while.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 pm

With you finding the pocket for Teddy, you can always say that the chair is for your pawly bear and you've just hitched a ride :-D

As well as the prettying and personalising, maybe your new chariot would benefit from being given a name. I name all sorts of things as it can help me relate to what they may be used for. I use a purple minion called Kevin to represent my health issues, I just got a new sewing machine and called it Singy~Fred, in fact I Think I've named pretty much everything we have, apart from the kitchen sinkB-)

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:29 pm

lol fluppy my pawly bear :-D

I like your idea of naming things (I usually call everything 'thingy' cos I forget what it is :roll: :lol: )

I think I need a name for the teddy first and then I'll name the wheelchair! :-) as long as I don't have to smash a bottle of champagne against it... 8-) ;-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 pm

This actually made me cry. Thank you for sharing. I told my other half about your experience while we were on tesco shopping at the weekend. I too am really struggling with my mobility and feeling very left out on life at the mo.

the tears I shed on sunday as I began a dog walk with my daughter and partner but had to leave them to it and retreat home after a hundred yards due to the pain and that was with both crutches. I laid on the sofa and waited for them to return feeling so isolated and useless. I hate this fm body!

Well done for your courage.
Lisa x
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:57 pm

There's no stopping you now!!! Fab news
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Lisalou wrote:This actually made me cry. Thank you for sharing. I told my other half about your experience while we were on tesco shopping at the weekend. I too am really struggling with my mobility and feeling very left out on life at the mo.

the tears I shed on sunday as I began a dog walk with my daughter and partner but had to leave them to it and retreat home after a hundred yards due to the pain and that was with both crutches. I laid on the sofa and waited for them to return feeling so isolated and useless. I hate this fm body!

Well done for your courage.
Lisa x

Lisa.. first of all :hugs: I'm so sorry you're struggling out and about. You sound just like how I was, and I want to help if I can. Is buying a wheelchair an option for you? (I know I'm very very new to the 'world of wheelchairs' but I know the difference it's made on me so far and I think it would do the same for you).

You say you've told your partner about my other post.. can you show him or tell him about my post here? How supportive is he with your condition, would he understand your need for a wheelchair?
I hope that maybe if he reads my posts (or you tell him about them) it will help him to understand - if he doesn't already?

Helhit - thanks :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm really happy for you... your post made me cry too. Its such a happy post and we all need some of that and I'm so glad you are feeling so much better and that you and your husband are able to go out 'together' again. Its lovely... thanks for writing xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:43 pm

aww thanks Moomoos. :-)

sorry for all the people I've made cry! sending you all virtual boxes of tissues...
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:03 pm

HI dazzleship, glad things are starting to work out for you and there's nothing like having one's freedom returned to them and for that and no you don't have to use this as I'm sure I'm just being a silly nut job but i am calling your new ride the Freedom Bear Chair and I'm so glad this is working out for you! Cheers!

p.s. I told you i was being silly. :lol:
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Harrison264 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:02 pm

You go girl!!!!!
Harrison264
UKFM Newbie

Postby Paisleyjane » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi, what brilliant news, well done you. I got my wheelchair secondhand. I have now got a wheeled walker with a seat. Its a bit big but giving it a whirl. So glad you can get out and about together, enjoy the weekend. Xx
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 pm

thanks all :)

Iblinkin - I love 'Freedom Bear Chair' :-D I've already started calling it that! so much better than simply 'wheelchair'

oh and I've named my bear Winston. :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 pm

What a great post. I'm so glad for you. :woot:
Annie54
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia