Watery eyes

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Watery eyes

Postby Gilly52 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Hello everyone

Does anyone suffer with watery eyes ?, ....to the point that it looks like your crying. This can happen indoors as well as outside, I suffer hay fever in the summer months, so I'm well used to it happening then, my eyes also become red and sore. It can zap my confidence when out as my vision is sometimes blurred with it.

Is this a fibro thing??? guess now with winds and gales forecast for the next week, I best stock up on tissues, as wind can be an irritant to my eyes also.

Gilly. X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Watery eyes

Postby wishes45 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Mine are the same but my optician said iv got dry eye my vision as deteriotated since with this an my vision is blarry all the time
wishes45
UKFM Member

Postby Becs531 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:52 pm

My optician says I have dry eyes too... but they feel watery and sting frequently :( x
Becs531
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Sounds more like an allergy
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Roger Rabbit » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:16 pm

I think its Fibro as mine water and sting too too the point of not be able to see! so glad to hear people talking about symptoms.
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby SianneArtarian » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:28 pm

I get this too it's worse if I yawn or if it's sunny or windy, but I also get itchy eyes sometimes too, my optician said they could tell by looking at my eyes I suffered from dry eyes. I hate it when my eyes water in lectures at Uni cos some of the lecturers like to turn the lights down too low, and I am always worried my make up is running lol
SianneArtarian
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Gilly52, yes, as do mine to the point it freaks my one son out. lol Just streaming down my face like I'm crying like a baby especially if I'm at the 'puter for too long. :cry: :lol:
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Me too - when I go out in cold or windy weather, they really stream. I don't think this is a fibro thing though - my mum has the same problem.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby juneville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 am

same here. optican says i have dry eyes and i have ointment for it. my vision has deteriated over the last 12 months from not needing glasses to now wearing bificols and even vision now blurred when i take them off.
juneville
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am

I think your optician's right, it's dry eye BUT I believe it's slightly different to dry eye in that I get it for phases and then I'm fine again. It's different to hat fever which I also get and mine can be set off by sun, wind, cold, glare, laughing, yawning, choking. Try not to mop your eyes as that can make them more sore. You can get drops for it from opticians and chemists. I think FM sensitivity to light, etc can be a contributor. Apparently dry eye is something you're more likely to suffer from as you get older
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:17 pm

I get this too. for years I've occassionally had problem where if my eyes water they sting very badly (but dunno if cos of fibro cos it predates that by a long time).

from time to time recently I've had episodes where my eyes water a lot - earlier this year at my eye test the optician said my eyes were a bit dry. I tried the drops that you spray onto your eyelids which helped a bit but the optician said they don't work as well as 'normal' eye drops.

but for me normal eye drops end up anywhere on my face except for in my eyes :lol: :roll:

but the dry eyes comes and goes cos - it was only from reading this thread - that I realised that I haven't had the watery eyes for a while! :shock: :-)

what I have got in the past couple of weeks though, is blurry vision from time to time. I'm thinking it might be the gabapentin. (which on a side note I'm thinking of coming off of (slowly of course) as it is doing nothing for the pain. :roll: )
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Monty99 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 pm

yep mine water all the time…..
Monty99
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Isn't it strange how having 'dry eyes' make your eyes run? :roll:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 am

carolad wrote:Isn't it strange how having 'dry eyes' make your eyes run? :roll:

I found out when I had my eyes tested a few months ago that mine are dry too. The optician said that is was most likely due to a side effect of one or more of my meds cocktail ingredients as there are several in it that can cause this problem. I now have to use drops several times a day to stop them becoming as sore as they were.

Also, according to the optician, in my case, the running tends to be because the part of the eye responsible for maintaining the moisture balance goes into overdrive trying to keep things as they should be.

It tends to occur more as a consequence of something that we may be taking, an irritation or other problem rather than being a symptom of, or being related to FM.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gilly52 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks everyone who replied to my post on watery eyes.

Saw my GP today, he says it is probably a side effect of Amtripylene, it is such a drying drug, which is drying out my eyes, complex really when you have tears streaming down your face, but the draining part of the eye is in overdrive and doesn't cope with the extra fluid.

However he has given me some eye drops to try 3 times a day, I suffer withe glaucoma, drops every night for that for the last 24 years, so I have no become quite adept at getting drops into my eyes. :-)

Gilly x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia