Fibro and Hysterectomy

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and Hysterectomy

Postby juliem » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm having a total hysterectomy on Monday. Has anyone else had surgery and how did Fibro impact on recovery?
juliem
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and Hysterectomy

Postby LibbyWick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 pm

It is some time since I had my hysterectomy but I am so so glad I had it. To be rid of the debilitating pain, cramps, constant heavy bleeding and flooding and the terrible mood swings is absolutely marvellous. Yes, it took some months to recover from the operation but was well worth it. I did take HRT for a while but couldn't find the right one for me. So some research and discussion with your GP is worth while. You may well be even more fatigued than usual but even women who don't have FM also suffer fatigue afterwards. You don't mention if you are having the op via abdominal incision or vaginally. If the former then be patient, gently do your pelvic floor exercises. Nerves that have been severed will take time to mend and the first sensation to return could be little sharp spasms, which is completely normally. I did have painful breasts, which is obviously hormonal, but found after a few weeks on a high dose of Evening Primrose and Starflower oil, that settled down. I still take it.

The best advice I can give ...... The discomfort for maybe 3 months ish is well worth the years of relief to follow. :hugs:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby gaynor1111 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:51 pm

I was diagnosed with fibro, just before my total hysterectomy. My advice is take things really easy, it really does aid recovery. I found, because I couldn't do anything, my fibro pain was a little bit easier. Hope all goes well x
gaynor1111
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Look after yourself and don't feel guilty about it. Hope all goes well for you.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Siouxiem » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I had a hysterectomy when I was 32 and it is one of the best things I have ever done! Just remember to take things easy and let people help you out. If anyone pops round to visit let them make a cuppa - no doing it for them! Do your pelvic floor exercises gently while watching the TV - no-one will know - as this really does help. If you need stronger pain relief ask for it. I wish you well on Monday.
Siouxiem
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Thank you everyone. Well I have had it. I'm fine and pain isn't too bad but the 3 incisions do hurt. Everyone keeps saying they shouldn't. It was done laparoscopically. Very tired. Wondering if the incisions are hurting around the muscle because of the fibro. Physio said Fibro would impact. People keep saying...you'll be fine in two weeks which consultant said drives him nuts. He said that yes incision is better but internal op still major. I had everything taken, including cervix and ovaries.
juliem
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia