It was all going far too well...........!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

It was all going far too well...........!

Postby wobblywoman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 am

Hello all. Have not posted for a long time as was coping quite Ok, had built up my voluntary work hours and got the pain and depression relatively under control. Then two months ago I started with what I am quite convinced is TMJ pain and was about to tackle my doctor and dentist about it when on Friday 10th October I developed shingles on my head and left eye. WHAM. Pushed me right back again - not quite to square one but has hit me very hard :( . Fortunately got a course of anti-virals on Monday 13th and two lots of eye ointment, but the neuralgia is horrendous and quite exhausting. I am allergic to Ibuprofen and aspirin so am relying on bog standard paracetamols with the occasional cocodamol if I am shouting at things cos of the pain :roll: On dosulepin at night, low dose. Husband is being his usual useless self.
It just seems as if ANY progress forwards is a mirage and something else comes along to ruin it.

Ah well, rant over!! If anybody else has also fallen headfirst into a relapse I sympathize big time - sending hugs xx
wobblywoman
UKFM Member

Re: It was all going far too well...........!

Postby LibbyWick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 am

Oh Bum! Poor you! I know how you feel. I, unfortunately, get shingles fairly often. It can take so long to get over. Have you tried amitriptyline for pain relief. I know it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't alleviate my pain completely (who with FM is ever pain free?!). I take 50mg at night and when I get infections, shingles, a TMJ flare, etc., then I take an extra 10mg 2 or 3 times a day. I also have duloxetine - 60mg twice a day, it has proven to be very helpful for many. There are a lot of pain relief options out there so do speak to your doctor again. If he isn't listening to you say you want to speak with someone else or be referred to your local pain clinic. Good luck with it all. Feel a bit better soon. :hugs:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby Siouxiem » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 am

Get back to your GP - there are a lot more alternatives for pain relief out there. Something, hopefully, will help you cope. I understand about the shouting and pain - when I get pain in my head (not headaches!) I literally bang my head on the wall and scream "make it go away! Just make it go away!" It is horrendous when the pain gets that bad you are out of control.
Personally, if your husband is being that useless I would throw him out! It's bad enough coping with fibro so you don't need to cope with that too! But that is just me!
I hope things pick up for you soon - shingles is horrible, so take care of you. And no looking after that hubby of yours - if he starves because you haven't cooked, tough! If his clothes aren't washed etc - he can do it himself. Remind him that marriage is "in sickness and is health" so he'd better get on with it! Just look after yourself. It isn't being selfish, it's self preservation.
Siouxiem
UKFM Member

Postby wobblywoman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks both. Saw GP again end of last week and if pain does not improve she will prescribe Gabapentin for the neuralgia. I have been on Dosulepin for years and it does help with the pain - amitrypt. makes me horrendously spaced-out as have tried it before and even on a low dose was a complete zombie :( I tend to have side-effects to even tiny doses of things, often ones not mentioned on the leaflets too. Today has been a little bit better - sure the sunshine is helping too. I am not the most patient person and always want to be rid of relapses asap. Recent course of counselling picked up on my impatience and stressing!! Yes, hubby is totally useless and have been on the verge of throwing him out on many occasions ;-)
wobblywoman
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia