Massive foot pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Massive foot pain

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 am

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am hoping this is a Fibro thing, I know how sad that sounds, but if I know it isn't just me, then I can avoid another GP who will ignore me.

I have pain in my feet. It is on the base of my feet so when I walk it feels like a dull ache, and it is on top of my feet running from my ankle to my big toe, and it is at the back of my feet where my Achilles runs. I know that I could stand to lose a few (well more than a few) pounds, but I am lighter then I have been in years. I also know that I had a torn Achilles a few years back but because the NHS in their infinite wisdom did not get me the care I needed at the time, it sort of healed itself. I say sort of as it has been an issue ever since the injury. I have orthopedics that I wear inside all my shoes that elevate my arch as I am, as so many of you are, hyper-mobile so my arches are flatter than most peoples which has put pressure on my knees and hips for years. None of these have been an issue, this is a whole brand new pain, I am, fingers crossed, hoping it is temporary, but also hoping that it is a normal part of our wonderful condition that likes to surprise us with new symptoms when-ever it wants.

Thoughts? Comments? Similar stories?

Thanks guys...

Gentle hugs...xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Massive foot pain

Postby dazzleship » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 am

hi Queenie

I too have had a torn Achilles tendon in the past. it was many years ago, pre fibro or anything. I never knew how I did it, it just came up as a very sore lump on the back of my ankle and I eventually had it ultrasounded and they said it was partly torn about half way across or something.

I was given one of those boot thingies (moon boot?) but, just like you, it never got sorted properly and it just kind of fixed itself.

or so I thought, cos recently it has started getting sore again although not as bad as before. sometimes I can still feel a small lump there.

I was struck by your post cos of the similarities and also cos you mention you are hypermobile. I am too!

with regards to the dull ache on the bottom of your feet - again this is something I have experienced in the past, and it was a few years ago so hard to remember, but I think at the time my GP said it was plantar fascitis. :-| (again nothing was really done about it though). could that be what youve got?

and are we twins? :lol:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Janeyliz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:51 am

Yes, it sounds like plantar. Ask your GP to refer you to a podiatrist.
Janeyliz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Annie54 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

I have occasional really bad pain in the arch of my foot. I never associated it with the fibromyalgia though. This thing really affects everywhere, doesn't it.
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi, been suffering same pains, worst in morning getting out bed or been sitting for a while, was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, got exercise regime from podiatrist but very have not had great results..don't think there is alot can be done apart from exercise and insteps..maybe try ibrufen gel on soles of feet..:'( hope you feel better soon..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

sounds like plantar fascitis to me, have had similar myself, doctor i saw said i had sprained my ankle , what a joke it was sorted eventually thanks to the GP i prefer to see, I do how ever get the odd twinge now and again.

Hope you can get sorted as is painful i know am suffering myself at the moment hands really bad worse since i came out of hospital. as while in was not getting the normal meds i get when home so need to build up the pain relief
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Plantar fasciitis i have it every morning and throughout the day, alongside tendonitis total pain in the ass
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:53 pm

I get foot pain too. I get it quite often. Feels really painful to stand or walk on. Had it yesterday and have it today. It tends to happen when I'm on my feet for long periods of time. Its like a heavy achiness.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:54 pm

The one thing that helps, that I forgot about yesterday and today (lol) is wearing my furry boots. They look a bit like uggs only cheap! They have a soft comfortable bottom.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Wow guys, you really do come through don't you :) I will make an effort to look after my feet a little better from now on. I do wear the inserts, but when I am around the house it is just slippers because I have the worst cold feet you can imagine!!! You would think with all the medications we take for other things, this would not be an issue....but, thank you all again. Just knowing it is part and parcel of the condition is actually a relief.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Queenie_70, i fully understand what you are going thru.. been there done that so to speak! Painful cold feet is normal for us and mine got to the point that i developed gout for several months at a time every year since 2007. What i do for this is constant daily "gentle stretching" continously throughout the day and night. I also do this when having a bath as this helps to relax your body and makes the stretching much easier. This does help as our bodies tend to tighten up pulling the ligaments and tendons to the point that they actually do tear and rip which causes a lot of pain and that's what the plantar facitis is all about tearing of soft tissue. It will heal we just have to be careful when doing every day things. I have been eating yogurt as i have found out that this very good for the uric acid in our bodies as well other foods (do read up on this) the burning in my feet has calmed down, not perfect but at least i can sleep now and the uric acid plays havoc with our bodies as we don't get rid of it like normal people do and it builds up and causes pain in our hands, feet and joints. I hope this info helps you somewhat and remember to keep smiling. :lol:
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:Wow guys, you really do come through don't you :) I do wear the inserts, but when I am around the house it is just slippers because I have the worst cold feet you can imagine!!! You would think with all the medications we take for other things, this would not be an issue....but, thank you all again. Just knowing it is part and parcel of the condition is actually a relief.

xxx

If it's plantar fasciitis one of the worst things is to walk about evn indoors with slippers, you need to wear your supports most of the time.

There are various exercises you can do to as Iblinkin explained to gently stretch the ligaments. One of these is to roll a tennis size ball under your foot from a sitting position, another is to stand on a stair or step , then holding onto something to make sure you don't fall backwards, position or hang your heels off the back of the step for a few seconds. You can feel your calf muscle being gently stretched.

Plantar fasciitis is a very common problem for everyone especially if you've overdone things like going out running without proper foot support. As Iblinkin said in Fibro people it probably happens as due to lack of movement the ligaments and tendons which are like elastic bands start to tighten. Then even slightly more exercise can cause it.

The sooner remedial exercises are undertaken and proper footwear supports are used the quicker it normally fixes, but it can take several months, and in some cases never completely disappears.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 pm

^^^^^^

Yeah. ..what they said!!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 pm

The soles of my feet are always painful when I have been in bed all night, it hurts to walk to the bathroom, but it usually wears off by the time I get out of the shower, I spray them with hot water while I'm in there, I also get this temporarily if I sit down for a long time but that usually wears off when I walk around :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 pm

TNK* wrote:^^^^^^

Yeah. ..what they said!!

Sorry who is they? Was speaking from experience, both my sister and I have had this twice now. My first time was as a teenager who went out running in basic plimsoles. Lol. The first time I only had a problem for a week or 2. Youth is a wonderful thing. Second time has been fairly recently and caused by reduced mobility due to insufficient blood supply in legs to even her round the house. The Podiatrist who visits every 6 weeks told me she could see my ligaments were shortening, so stupidly I overdid the stretching, which resulted in my second bout of plantar.

I started the specific plantar exercises, slowly this time , and even at home am only wearing made to measure shoes from Orthotics Hosp Dept. In 2 weeks I've progressed from not being able to walk a step but having to painfully shuffle this foot along the carpet so I don't lift this foot, to being able to mainly walk on it with occasional bursts of sharp pain. Albeit only in custom shoes or very cushioned trainers. I'm hoping as I've started the exercises right away To get rid of it for a second time.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia