Trumph Uniscan walking frame

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Trumph Uniscan walking frame

Postby macca » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:22 am

Hi all, has anybody tried/bought the Triumph Uniscan Walking frame :

http://www.uniscan-walkers.co.uk/triumph.html

The price is a little shocking but with disabled VAT relief, and if an existing walker could be part exchanged then it may not be as much of an issue.

Any views / opinions on this walker would be appreciated

Cheers, Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Re: Trumph Uniscan walking frame

Postby KateS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Mac, funnily enough I was toying with the idea the other day. I haven't tried one, but my 86 year old mum has one and finds the seat really useful. The only problem I would have with it would be getting it in and out of the car. I don't know how much it weighs.
Hope that helps

Kate
KateS
UKFM Newbie

Postby MrsP77 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Before buying something as expensive as this, go to your local Red Cross and hire a walking frame. I did this while waiting for my wheelchair. It cost me something like £25 for 3 months, with the option to purchase after that time for a further £25. I think all of these costs are a guideline depending on your circumstances, I opted to pay the going rate, as I was just so grateful to have something to help me get around. My car then was a Fiat Punto, and just lifted it into the boot, although sometimes it was a bit heavy depending on how I was feeling. When I got my wheelchair I simply gave the walker back to the Red Cross as a donation, they tart them up a bit and re-use. I can definately recommend a wheeled walker with a seat for getting around, so go for it.
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:14 pm

This would be for my wife. She has a three wheeler now which is great but for the fact that it has no seat. We picked up a four wheeler with a seat but it's more cumbersome as she's only small and has carpal tunnel in the wrists.

This Triumph walker which may be the best of both worlds.

It would be me lifting it in and out of the car so no issues there.

Hopefully I'll take her to try one out next week
macca
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi all, we were able to go and let my wife try this Uniscan walker at the weekend. It doesn't look much in the pictures on the net but in the flesh you can appreciate how much good engineering has gone into it. We were both massively surprised at the weight of it or lack of it, it is mega light. We've not quite managed to deal with the price tag as yet so that's our next hurdle but she would at least qualify for the Disabled VAT relief to take a chuck of money off it.

If you're in a position where you are needing to consider a wheeled walker and where you need a seat but need it to be light an manouvreable then definitely check this walker out ..... but start saving too!

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia