Why am I different?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Why am I different?

Postby chookie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:41 pm

How can my Fibro not have much pain when everyone else does??? I don't take any medication, no waking up in the night, no headaches, no spasms, no pins pins and needles...

My fibro makes me so tired and my body 'seizes' up day after day. I know this sounds horrible but I wish that i was worse or had no symptoms at all, it's like being in limbo. There's nothing that can be given to me, no painkillers, no travel help, I'm ill but not that ill.

My blood tests came back negative to Lupus, arthritis, M.S...all autoimmune diseases, I wished it was one of those but was sad when it wasn't.

I have costocondritis as well as FM & M.E, I might as well be invisible...
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Why am I different?

Postby jacnew » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm sorry you feel different but I'm also very happy for you that you don't have much pain but please don't wish horrible diseases on yourself
jacnew
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi chookie, I found your post most interesting as i would be at work and wish i had some other illness, even cancer! This invisible illness is just plain rotten, especially when we are suffering and struggling through this horrible illness and people treat you like you are an idiot or whatever for complaining about this pain, ache and so on. costocondritis is something i want to look into as i get severe chest pains frequently and at times my wife is thinking I'm having a heart attack. Too much stress for her too!

Trust me you don't want this to get worse and it does get worse so please be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

If you haven't yet please look in the help/info section as there's a wealth of info for you there to make things a little better/easier.

Your diet is important and i have posted some things i believe are helping me to get through this illness.

Cheers and good luck and always remember to smile even if it hurts. :-D
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Just read about M.E, never really have in the past. Looks like I feel different because maybe I have more tendency towards M.E and not Fibro?? Any ideas??
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Chookie, I don't have a lot of the things other folk here have, either, and I manage my FM with occasional Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, wheat bags, and sleep. I'm damn glad about this. I have pain, and I get tired easily, some days I wake up exhausted, but I still go to work, still get to do my hobbies, still get to do most things I want to, at the cost of the occasional sleeping weekend or very early night for a while. I don't want or plan to get any worse. Try and find some positives here and move on.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks Mr Blinkin, the sad ironic thing is that I am a alternative therapist who can help others but not myself. I'm at Uni and work now and again with private practice but this illness floors me.

I don't wish autoimmune diseases on myself, but who doesn't think now and again that something more 'mainstream' wouldn't be easier?

My bum muscles ache right now!!!!!
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks both :)
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 pm

hi chookie

I'm sorry you're feeling so down at the moment. if it helps, I'm another one who doesn't take regular medication (mostly because I react badly to everything thrown at me :roll:) but I guess if my pain levels are 'manageable' with only the occasional co-codamol then I mustn't have it as bad as some of the people here (although it does get bad at times).

I know what you mean about the fatigue though - if I do too much one day I have to just rest the next day. sometimes weekends are spent just recovering from the working week.

I think we are all different when it comes to fibro.. there are maybe different levels of it, you know? or it affects each person differently to some degree. but a lot of illnesses are like that. you're not 'different', please don't think that.

it's very hard though and I totally understand your feeling of being "in limbo" because fibro is so unrecognised as an illness. I feel like that too, believe me.

at times I wish (I know I shouldn't) that I had arthritis or something like that - not because I want that illness, but because then people would understand when I tell them what's wrong with me, instead of the blank looks I usually get because they've never heard of fibro. or the long involved explanation I have to give. nobody has to explain what arthritis is to someone else, do they.

but perhaps all we need to do, in our own way, is spread the word about fibro - the more people hear about it, the more it won't be this invisible, mystery illness and people will eventually understand more.

in the meantime, please try to focus on what you can do and try to enjoy your life as best you can, because you really never do know what's around the corner.

take care :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

chookie wrote:How can my Fibro not have much pain when everyone else does??? I don't take any medication, no waking up in the night, no headaches, no spasms, no pins pins and needles...

My fibro makes me so tired and my body 'seizes' up day after day. I know this sounds horrible but I wish that i was worse or had no symptoms at all, it's like being in limbo. There's nothing that can be given to me, no painkillers, no travel help, I'm ill but not that ill.

My blood tests came back negative to Lupus, arthritis, M.S...all autoimmune diseases, I wished it was one of those but was sad when it wasn't.

I have costocondritis as well as FM & M.E, I might as well be invisible...

I get both! I feel pretty normal right now but it wasn't long ago I felt like crap! I'm pretty sure I am having a few days of flares every month. Still trying to pin it down lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:13 am

my gp suggested fibro to me last year when i was yet again complaining of seizing up, very difficult to accept due to the fact that I also suspected that I had hypermobility syndrome and was always very flexible, and i did go through periods of joint pain due to that (I got dual diagnosis in April) I feel bad that Im on here moaning about little niggles when so many are so much worse, I didn't often get a lot of pain it was the stiffness and the chronic tiredness that got me, but hey ho now Im starting to get more pain when i over do it, I am using paracetamol only for pain as anything heavier makes me ill, don't think your different as it dose affect everyone differently, I live in hope that I never get as bad as some here and feel blessed that can still manage to do most of the things I enjoy, I am also lucky that friends know im in a lot of pain if i complain as in the past I have been told by medical professionals that i have a very high pain threshold (which goes against a lot of things I have read about fibro)
galio
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Chookie, when people talk about their pain levels, try to bear in mind that, at the moment at least, there is no way to physically measure them, and because of this, there is no standard that can be used to say what a pain level of 5 or 6, or 1 or 3, should feel like. If there was a way to do this, when a number of people who said they were all experiencing a pain level of 4 were measured, the outcome would probably be different readings for each person, even tho they all say they are experiencing the same level of pain. If it was to be measured, what may be a level 4 sensation to me might be the equivalent of, say, a level 3 to you, or vice versa. So please try not to think about how you seem to be affected so differently to others. Maybe try a different approach, such as whilst we share a common range of symptoms, in essence we're all affected so very differently by FM, to the point where we each have our own version of it.

Altho your pain levels may not seem to be as high as what others describe, there may be other areas which you could find are affected somewhat more severely and intensely for you, whereas others may only have a minor issue with them. This lack of pattern and consistency is one of the things that makes FM so vague and unpredictable when trying to treat it.

Try to have a bit of a looky at the positives you have when it comes to your condition and how you mange/deal with it....
1. You Don't Take Medication ~ That's something I wish I didn't have to do. Unfortunately it is a necessity for me to be able to get out of bed each day.
2. You Don't Wake Up In The Night ~ I have to admit I am a little envious about this, being able to sleep undisturbed for a decent number of hours each night is right up at the top of my wish list, and if I were able to do this, I know it would make such a difference to me and how I would be able to deal with my other problems.
3. No Headaches, No Spasms, No Pins and Needles ~ Sounds so blissful, if you want to swap bodies at all, give me a yell. Even an hour without those Gremlins niggling at me would be just as beneficial as a holiday in how it could make me feel!!!

I also have the CFS/ME card in my collection, along with some other and at times have wondered just which of the conditions I do actually have, esp when Kevin {my purple Fibro~Minion} is wearing his bovver~boots to stomp around and force out what precious life force I was able to muster and drain me completely after he has spent time making me think I'm being stabbed with something hot, sharp and generally unpleasant. It can swing between the 2 extremes in a matter of seconds for me

None of us know for definite what will be happening to us on our Fibro~Quests. Hopefully it will be something good for at least part of the way, but until we reach those points, we each need to get the best we can from each day, no matter how severely or mildly we may be affected at any time.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chookie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Sorry for the rant everyone, I was not feeling myself when I wrote the initial post. I have been given my first Prostap injection 2 weeks ago to put me into medical menopause to see if I need the full operation at a later date. Bam!! It has hit me hard :oops:

On top of that I have until January to write and submit 4 Uni assignments, treat my complementary therapy clients, husband, 14 year old daughter, house, garden, cooking, cleaning, shopping.....you know the rest. And then the FM, IBS and ME are trying to do their best to stop me. I keep going one step at a time and that day I wrote the post, it all got too much and I vented.

To top the lot off, I'm thinking of buying a walking stick to help me when I walk a long way, like to town and back... great, at the age of 39....
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:14 am

chookie I don't think anyone here will think you need to apologise for your rant. we all need to do that from time to time.

and please don't worry about having to get a walking stick. if it helps you continue to be more mobile then it's a good thing. (I'm 40 now :oops: but I started using crutches when I was 39 so I know how you feel).

just make sure you don't buy one of the invisible walking sticks otherwise you'll find that the general public just walks straight toward you not giving you any room to move out of the way... :roll: :lol:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Duirra » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Chookie,
My sister and my mother both have fibro. Neither of them experience pain the way I do. My sister has been a crazy insomniac for years and years, living with only 1 to 4 hours of sleep a night. My mother's biggest symptom is low energy, which may be caused by her clinical depression, as much as the fibro. In my family, I'm the weird one. Pain is my biggest symptom. I started using a cane on the really bad days when I was sixteen or so. Luckily, I haven't needed it in a few years, but I still keep it in the back of the closet, just in case. I was a bit self conscious the first few times I used it, but I got used to it. It just helped too much not to use it.
I thinking everyone will understand about rants and hormones running amok. I just hope you feel a bit better soon.
Duirra
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia