pins and needles in my calfs and ankles

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pins and needles in my calfs and ankles

Postby kitchenwitch76 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:28 am

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have been reading the posts with great interest. II've been ill for just over a year now, problems with my spine and fm. My question is about my legs thou, this last week my calf muscles and ankles have been in so much pain, and felt permanent pins and needles. Does anyone else suffer with this problem, and do you have any solutions to ease it please, getting really annoyed with it now xx
kitchenwitch76
UKFM Newbie

Re: pins and needles in my calfs and ankles

Postby heatherjswiegers » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 am

Hello
I am Sorry that you are in pain.
I experience the same symptoms that you have but I also get cramping in my legs all the time. I find that a tens machine help but only when the tens machine is on once I take it off the pain is back. I wake up during the night, I have to re-start the timer again the longest setting is half an hour so enough time for me to fall asleep if i am lucky, i have been advised by my doctor that it is safe to strap the patches on with medical tape. I dont find that I need to strap them on during winter, but in summer or if it gets hot the patchez move around, so then I have to strap them on. I have been using the tens machine for at least four years now and know of other Fibro sufferers thst also strap the patvhes on and day that it is a vital part of their treatment. On a really bad night I will only get sleep while the tens is on and once it stops I am awake gai and start the machine. It might seem silly but with out the tens I would not sleep at all. I am on morphine slow release, oramorph, 200mg amitriptaline and other meds that should keep me a sleep but the cramping etc over ride the meds and sleep does not come easy. Hot baths do not help the cramping or pins and needle's. I find it is lot worse at night. I was getting the pins and needle's and cramping about once week out of three but for the last month I have it constantly, every day and night. I take two diffarent muscle relaxant Methocarbamol (only works if a muscle is in spasms, does not make me sleepy, it helps for my chest pain when i bresth) and Baclofen(makes me sleepy). I suffer from wide spread pain through out my body I can handle all the other pain but the cramping and pins and needles are the Worst, I not only get this in my legs but also in my arms.

The best treatment for me is the tens machine, if you have not tried it yet, its worth giving the tens a try.

Heather
heatherjswiegers
UKFM Member

Postby kitchenwitch76 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:53 am

Hello Heather
Thanks for replying. I don't have a trens machine, although I have been looking into it, they are really expensive tthough, I've had to give up self employment as a holistic massure, and selling crafts that I make, I'm a single mum and have just gone into Esa so I'm finding it really hard to manage my money. However, I am being referred for tens and accupincture treatment by the pain clinic. I think being a single mum, and being extremely stubborn I can't sit down and rest, I still walk to the shop once a day with a stick, which is crucifying, but after putting on 3 stone in 6 months I want to keep moving and burn some calories, although when your being over taken by 70 year ooldsi feel a bit envious lol. I've always been a very active person, never had a car so walked everywhere and worked in social care and education until I had to finally give up work due to my depressive episodes getting worse. I feel useless a lot of the time, and now my legs are starting to fail me I feel worse. I reAlly do hate feeling sorry for myself, but it's so hard to explain how I'm feeling to my daughter (14) when she wants everything now and does nothing to help, like wash up, teens hey!!! ;-)
I'm trying massage on my calves, which helps whilst I'm doing it, and stretching but it all seems futile. I'm taking pregablin, codine and paracetamol aswell as my antidepressants. I can't take anti-inflame so I'm making it a mission to find a natural release xx
kitchenwitch76
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:04 pm

hi I would also recommend a tens machine if you can get one.

I get pins and needs all over really (arms, hands, head :shock: as well as legs and feet. but what I find the tens machine useful for is the cramping feeling in my legs, when I just "don't know where to put them" and the pain/uncomfortableness is really overwhelming.

the tens machine helps cos it just interrupts that feeling and takes the uncomfortableness away.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby kitchenwitch76 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi, thank you dazzle
I am dedefinitely going to look into getting one. I also have nerve damage in my neck and arms so I'm sure it will help with that too.
I have pain everywhere too, especially in my back, but my hips and legs are really sore at the min x
kitchenwitch76
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia