Is this my life now?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this my life now?

Postby taraloum » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:53 pm

These past few days I have been in excruciating pain, even more so than usual.
I haven't been able to do anything for my self, I've had to have help to get dressed, shower everything.
I am only 20 years old, its not meant to be like this.

Will it be like this forever?
taraloum
UKFM Member

Re: Is this my life now?

Postby stripes64 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:20 pm

This weather really confuses our bodies, same for Arthritis sufferers the damp and the cold hurt like hell, eventually we adjust a bit, the pain subsides a little, try to keep moving it hurts yes but it does help, a few very gentle stretches will help. Stay in the warm where possible not every day will be this bad xx
stripes64
UKFM Member

Postby taraloum » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks, I've been trying to keep moving but I really struggle, I can barely move most days without having tears in my eye. Does fibro usually progress this quick? I only started being in pain in late July
taraloum
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Don't despair. I have suffered from fibro before the illness even had a name (since 1980!) and I thought I was going to lose my mind as well as my life as I knew it, as doctors kept assigning the pain to "women's problems". The pain was so severe that I couldn't lie down in my bed for the night and had to get a reclining chair I could adjust to my varying needs, just so I could find a bearable position. The pain did not let up for nearly a year, despite various treatments at the pain clinic (this was taking place in Boston, USA). Amitryptiline finally helped, along with a TENS unit, and the pain receded. But it would come back in other forms, and elsewhere, though never as severely as the first time. I am now managing much better, without being free from either pain or fatigue, but one learns, by and by, what helps and what makes things worse. What matters more than anything is to have emotional support and physical help. Medications have different effects on people, so you must find a doctor flexible enough to listen to you, who will alter treatments that don't help, or dosages that are either insufficiently helpful or so heavy that they make you dizzy or nauseated. There is much that life holds for you, and things will get better once you and your doctor have made clear to those around you what living with fibromyalgia entails (uncertainty about how you will feel, the difficulty of planning ahead, the need for rest and pain relief etc) Take heart. You will have good times still and more knowledge about the illness is constantly on the way.

By and large, heat helps. Movement (in moderation) as well. Change of weather, stress, cold, may bring on symptoms. But remember, there is no linear progression, either for better or for worse. Keep seeing friends, especially those who understand your plight. Stay away from those who tell you it's all in your head. Hang in there!
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:49 pm

There will be times along the way when things do get turned all the way on the hurtys scale Tara, there will also be times where things feel a touch more comfortable and you are able to enjoy life a little more. Altho those supposedly in the know say that changes in weather don't have any effect or influence on how we feel, there are many, many, many of us out there, with all sorts of problems and conditions that strongly disagree with this as what happens to our bodies during and in the run up to cold and wet spells has to be more than a coincidental matter.

Keeping moving is essential, but this doesn't have to involve lots of big movements. Small, gentle ones, such as stretching as suggested by stripes, or things like gentle flexing of limbs, hands and feet can all help, so keep persevering with things, one move of something is always better than 100 lots of nothing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby claudine1288 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 pm

Oh yes! another thing: try to get to the pain as soon as it starts. It is often worse in the beginning of the illness, because you were unsuspecting and it had time to settle in (pain receptors have gone accustomed to it and keep sending you pain signals.) Once it settles, it is hard to manage. But eventually, with the right medication it will get better. It is important to stay on top of it, and to take whatever is needed to make it go away, or at least lessen substantially. You will get familiar with the first symptoms and learn to act quickly to keep the pain under control. Don't give up.
x
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby taraloum » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 pm

Thank you everyone.

Has tramadol worked for anyone else?
It works for me for about an hour when I take 2 of them but it wears off pretty quickly, whats the best medication you've been on to stop the pain and stiffness, is there any medication I can get to stop the fatigue?
taraloum
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:06 am

Hi taraloum. So sorry to hear that you are going through the pain :( . I was diagnosed 16yrs ago and I was only 30. I've had all different types of pain relief. After so many years I was on meds containing codeine but not only it stopped working, but was told they were very addictive, so had to come off them very slowly as they can cause really bad with drawral effects, so please try to avoid them. I'm on a cocktail now of drugs. The main pain killer that has worked is gabepentin which I take1500mg thought the day plus a low dosage of diazepam and Amitriptyline and zopiclone pus Duloxetine at night. Sometimes I get a good nights sleep but then others I'm tossing and turning. I tried the tens machine but that caused more pain so stopped that. I know it's only been a short while since you were diagnosed but you will learn how your body works, and hopefully you will get to have a good and understanding gp, also ask to be refered to a pain clinic. Mine has helped and they have their own fibro physio, even though I've only seen her once and she had to cancel my last appointment, and as she's the only physio in my area her waiting list is quite long. Also what has been working is vit B which my gp has put me on and he also has advised me to take a high strength of Cod Liver tablets as they contain vit D which is good for the bones. I really hope that you start feeling a little bit better soon. Also if you find out more about fibro on the internet and take it tho your gp then he/she could go over your options. Take care. My thoughts are with you.:) x
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby Kestral1410 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:48 am

Good idea is to take Tramadol with a paracetamol, triggers off a reaction increasing the pain relief, on really bad days :mrgreen:
Kestral1410
UKFM Newbie

Postby laserlou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 am

Hi . I have had fibro now for 4 years. I feel pain all the time but I supress the real 'edge' with 2700mg Gabapentin, 90mg Duloxotine, 200mg slow release Tramadol and have now started taking paracetemol every 4 hours. I recently ran out of gabapentin and OMG...I was ill. So I'd advise not to run out!!!!
laserlou
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tigs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi there.

I'm new to this, have posted once before but don't know how to check is my reply gets on the board or not...excuse my lack of I.T understanding.

I just wanted to say 'Don't give up' I have been off work for the past 3 months. From reading on forums such as this I believe I have been one of the lucky ones as the doctors appointment after my blood test all came back clear, my doctor suggested Fibromyalgia. First of all it was like a BIG light bulb going on, every symptom she said I had (and had made other excuses for). Then when I got home and read about Fibro on the NHS site I sat in denial...How could I have this?.....No way....I am a 37yrs old healthy woman..But it all makes perfect sense (said my head)....But this can't be what I have (said my heart). I worked in the fitness industry for yrs, eat healthily and always push my body to the max in workouts (which I loved...but which I also had not been able to do for a lest a yr before the above stated doctors appointment). I use to be so strong (before I became so weak I can't even open a packet or rip off a bin bag without help). I want to wake up one morn,,,just one and not be in pain. But you know what, right now that just isn't our lives. But we must not lose hope. So in answer to your question, No, this is not your life now, it is just your life for right now and you must live in hope that it will get better. I'm sure you will find some medium ground as long as you don't give up trying. I am still on this journey myself, so totally understand how you feel... I do believe our lives will have to change because of this condition....but that doesn't mean we can't be happy and content.

The medication I have been placed onto is Sertraline (highest dose) Tramadol and paracetamol based pain killers and I have found they have helped amazingly.

Good luck and hope you feel better and more positive real soon :goodluck2:
Tigs
UKFM Newbie

Postby taraloum » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Tigs wrote:Hi there.

I'm new to this, have posted once before but don't know how to check is my reply gets on the board or not...excuse my lack of I.T understanding.

I just wanted to say 'Don't give up' I have been off work for the past 3 months. From reading on forums such as this I believe I have been one of the lucky ones as the doctors appointment after my blood test all came back clear, my doctor suggested Fibromyalgia. First of all it was like a BIG light bulb going on, every symptom she said I had (and had made other excuses for). Then when I got home and read about Fibro on the NHS site I sat in denial...How could I have this?.....No way....I am a 37yrs old healthy woman..But it all makes perfect sense (said my head)....But this can't be what I have (said my heart). I worked in the fitness industry for yrs, eat healthily and always push my body to the max in workouts (which I loved...but which I also had not been able to do for a lest a yr before the above stated doctors appointment). I use to be so strong (before I became so weak I can't even open a packet or rip off a bin bag without help). I want to wake up one morn,,,just one and not be in pain. But you know what, right now that just isn't our lives. But we must not lose hope. So in answer to your question, No, this is not your life now, it is just your life for right now and you must live in hope that it will get better. I'm sure you will find some medium ground as long as you don't give up trying. I am still on this journey myself, so totally understand how you feel... I do believe our lives will have to change because of this condition....but that doesn't mean we can't be happy and content.

The medication I have been placed onto is Sertraline (highest dose) Tramadol and paracetamol based pain killers and I have found they have helped amazingly.

Good luck and hope you feel better and more positive real soon :goodluck2:

Your on antidepressants and tramadol? I was told I had to come off my antidepressants (which were Sertraline 100mg) because SSRI's and Tramadol and effect each other :/ does it affect you badly being on both? I will definately be going back to my doctor because I have been off my antidepressants since July because I was told I couldn't take both tablets together and have been really struggling with my depression :/ quite annoyed with my doctor now
taraloum
UKFM Member

Postby taraloum » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 pm

stephdawn wrote:Hi taraloum. So sorry to hear that you are going through the pain :( . I was diagnosed 16yrs ago and I was only 30. I've had all different types of pain relief. After so many years I was on meds containing codeine but not only it stopped working, but was told they were very addictive, so had to come off them very slowly as they can cause really bad with drawral effects, so please try to avoid them. I'm on a cocktail now of drugs. The main pain killer that has worked is gabepentin which I take1500mg thought the day plus a low dosage of diazepam and Amitriptyline and zopiclone pus Duloxetine at night. Sometimes I get a good nights sleep but then others I'm tossing and turning. I tried the tens machine but that caused more pain so stopped that. I know it's only been a short while since you were diagnosed but you will learn how your body works, and hopefully you will get to have a good and understanding gp, also ask to be refered to a pain clinic. Mine has helped and they have their own fibro physio, even though I've only seen her once and she had to cancel my last appointment, and as she's the only physio in my area her waiting list is quite long. Also what has been working is vit B which my gp has put me on and he also has advised me to take a high strength of Cod Liver tablets as they contain vit D which is good for the bones. I really hope that you start feeling a little bit better soon. Also if you find out more about fibro on the internet and take it tho your gp then he/she could go over your options. Take care. My thoughts are with you.:) x

I will ask my doctor about vitamins and things, hopefully it will help me too. I was never offered codeine but was put straight on oramorph and tramadol. I only take the tramadol now as the oramorph knocks me out and I currently go to college but am struggling a lot with it. I am wary about taking medication that is addictive as I have had a alcohol addiction in the past, I am over it now and am tee total.
I will ask about the pain clinic, what kinds of things do they do there?
Thank you x
taraloum
UKFM Member

Postby taraloum » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:32 pm

laserlou wrote:Hi . I have had fibro now for 4 years. I feel pain all the time but I supress the real 'edge' with 2700mg Gabapentin, 90mg Duloxotine, 200mg slow release Tramadol and have now started taking paracetemol every 4 hours. I recently ran out of gabapentin and OMG...I was ill. So I'd advise not to run out!!!!

I will start taking paracetemol too, is it safe to take it with tramadol though? I have no idea what I can and can't take with it. I was put on Naproxen but they weren't doing anything for me so I stopped taking them.
taraloum
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:39 pm

You can take paracetomol with Tramadol x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia