How am i supposed to know!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How am i supposed to know!

Postby galio » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 pm

my internal thermostat is broken, how the heck am i supposed to know if my hot then cold and hat and cold at the same time is my fibro, my HMS(it can cause tenp swings), my menopause flushes, or if im coming down wi one of the many bugs doing the rounds at school! :-?
dont feel right :crazy: mind thats nowt new lol I just know if I go to the doctors hes gonna ask that million £££ question haave you got a tempreture!!!!
galio
UKFM Member

Re: hom am i supposed to know!

Postby juliekp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi. Im feeling exactly the same at the moment. Red hot n sweating one minute so I take a layer off then im freezing cold n have to put it back on and so it goes on. Frustrating :( :cry: :-?
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:03 am

Snap. I have always been really cold even in summer but this year I've yo yo'd from boiling to freezing to boiling. I am never just right in temperature. Bloody fibro.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby Maryanne » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 am

You are not alone :hugs: I am going through the same thing, I had a hysterectomy at 35 with both ovaries remaining. A few years after I started with night sweats, see my GP who put me on HRT as he said it was early menopause but, would have to stop HRT at 50 All was under control for many years. I was dx'd with fibro in March 2013 age 51. No sweating but, always have had temperature regulation problems as to either being too warm or too cold. Since being dx'd I have been on amitriptyline, starting at 10 mg and gradually increasing over a period of 6 months to 50 mg. Then the sweating started and has gotten more frequent. After researching the effect of the amitriptyline as sweating is one of the rarer side effects. I monitored my temperature over several weeks before I went back to my GP and she agreed to do a reduction back down to 25 mg to see if it would help. She changed my prescription to between 1-2 x 25 mg daily The sweating did become slightly less but, my pain levels increased so now back to 50 mg and sweating buckets most of the day. My confusion :-? now is, that was the initial sweating at 35 years old the start of the fibro rearing it's ugly head or now at 53 and dx'd with fibro, and now with being menopausal :yikes: . I am going to go back to my GP as this is just driving me :crazy: crazy. I hope you can get an answer galio xx
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Re: How am i supposed to know!

Postby jacson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:11 am

Glad to know that there's someone going through the same as me! I'm 54 and thought it was the menopause? I can cope with the hot sweats during the day but not at night, I feel my body, especially my legs are on fire and my whole body feels like I've got a tens machine on maximum, then this causes more fibro pain, it's a viscious circle. I was diagnosed with fibro two years ago, but like so many have suffered with it for many years previously. Any suggestions as to how other sufferers cope with hot/burning flushes?
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:07 am

I'm joining this club too :-D

As for knowing if your sick, i am guessing you would feel ill and not just hot, but i am just guessing :crazy:

Bev x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:34 pm

Same here, I came to a conclusion the other day that this was why my pain got worse in the cold. I spend so much time shivering and holding myself tense to try and keep warm that it was adding more strain to joints and muscles...

Its the hot flashes that bother me the most, sweating so my hair, clothes and socks get damp is driving me nuts!!
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Problems with temperature regulation is a well known associated problem with FM. However, it can also be associated with a number of other issues too, so getting to the root cause of it may not always be possible.

To see if there is a detectable reason for them, you could see your GP about the problem. If it's a possible side effect, or reaction to something, again a GP visit may be needed. In both cases, it may be necessary for tests to be carried out to see if there is something nasty at work.

If any aspect of these fluctuating temperatures becomes overly troublesome, worsens, or is just giving you a general cause for concern, having things checked out is always the best thing to do. Plus there may be something that can be done to help with managing them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lindenp » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:15 pm

I have the same problem too. My meopause thing finished years ago so this is defo the Fibro. A nurse in the hospital told me that hot sweats/flushes don't actually increase your temperature. I tried it out and she is right. So my advice would be invest in a good thermometer, preferably a digital one and if your temp is up then its not a hot flush. Hope this helps.

Gentle Hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks to all of you for sharing this. I have been going crazy with hot flushes and heavy perspiration for over ten years now (after my menopause was over, according to the doctor.) When I go to a store, the salesperson often comments on the "water" dripping from my head. It is a most embarrassing problem and nothing at all that was suggested to me was of help. And indeed like most of you, when I'm not overheating, I'm freezing. I dress in layers always, and had to give up my favorite woollies, but that's the least of the problems. I am however relieved to see that I am not alone. Which doesn't keep me from commiserating with all of you fellow sufferers! :-?
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I have a real problem with overheating, and that is one reason my diagnosis was delayed as my GP was convinced it was hormonal. It wasn't, but the docs remain convinced it is unrelated to fibro, as are my skin issues.

So I just live with it and have invested in a lot of skirts and vest tops! :lol:

Lindeup - my temp definitely increases, although it is long term not a 'flush'. I've bought a thermometer as apart from getting goose bumps, I can't tell what the temp is anymore!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi all,
I am so glad I'm not alone in this. I am only 36 but have been suffering from seriously debilitating hot flushes for the past 9 years. I find it so embarrassing as well as extremely uncomfortable.
I've heard sage is good to help combat this? Has anyone tried it?
xx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Oh my god...im in this club too!! lol...haven't tried sage but i would try anything ANYTHING!.. I need :sleep: x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:27 pm

ok got half way through replying last night when the whole post disappeared so gave up and went to bed only to discover I had washed the bedding and totally forgot I needed to make the bed! hello fibrofog lol.

Im glad to have opened a discussion and found once again i'm not alone in this, sorry so many of you are suffering too. I never even thought it could be my Nortrypline adding to the menopause but now some one mentioned amatrypline I thought I would check the leaflet again. my gp, contacted the rhumy team when the amatryptilin was doing nothing but keeping me awake all night and moved me to the nortryplin it helps me sleep get 2 to 3 hours a timeinstead of the usual 20mins but after the first few days the pain is back,gp thinks i may need to pu the dosage but when i told him about a problem i had with my heart beat about 10 years back with the amatryptiline he nearly had a fit that i was on any trptilyn and wants an ecg before he ups the dose.

i shall mention the flushes to him next time i'm in as they have got worse and I cant take hrt, well i wont try it as had so many problems while on the pill many moons ago and my mum used hrt and when they took her off it when went through the whole hot flush thing again in her late 60s. i have had hot flushes on and off since my early 20s at one point a blood test said i was in early stages of menopause but next time they tested hormone levels were normal, I now know that my HMS could have been the cause, I had a hyst 12 years ago and was left with my ovaries so didn't have any new symptoms and no hrt i thought it was bad enough waking up feeling like I had been swimming but now mother nature has the audacity to wake me up before i start to sweat!!! :evil:

I did go through a couple of weeks sweating more than usual a couple of years ago, and then went on to develop a nasty chest infection. the doc said he thought the hot flushes i had been having prior to the cold and chest infection coming out properly were probably the infection starting, at one point they thought it was turning to pneumonia, and of course they were struggling to find antibiotics for it as i have a reaction to so many. poor doc every one he put on the computer came up flashing red lol, they eventualy went with one and hoped that i could tolerate it for 7 days it did eventualy clear after 8 weeks. :-? oops away wandering there again lol sorry bet this makes no sense tomorow when i read it again lol
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi,
Just thought I'd give you a wee update on he Sage capsules.
I've been on the, for a couple of weeks now and so far so good. I have only had around 4 bad flushes in that time as opposed to several a day.
Could be coincidence with the weather changing cooler but I doubt it.
I'll be continuing to take them.
xxx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia