Pain in jaw

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain in jaw

Postby alice2411 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:56 am

Does anybody else get really bad pains in the jaw?
alice2411
UKFM Member

Re: Pain in jaw

Postby becbob » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 am

Hi. I know exactly what you mean. My jaw constantly hurts. My jaw muscles are always tightly clenched. I can never relax my jaw muscles or the rest of my muscles. I even grind my teeth when I'm asleep and I wake up with them hurting so much I can barely open my mouth. I also have broken the same tooth twice with regards to the grinding. I have yet to find any relief. I wonder if anyone has any tips?
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby alice2411 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:14 am

I had the pain ages ago now it's just come back feels like bad tooth ache 2. But don't think it is
alice2411
UKFM Member

Postby bekwey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:14 am

This post came up on FB right under one I just posted, basically saying that I try not to moan often, but I have a back molar trying to work its way out :( I am solid in my jaw and around my face and it is ruining my teeth :( I have a superb NHS dentist but his hands are tied regarding funding for a sedative for me to remove two back teeth, so I can't go until I have saved up the money to pay for that myself. I asked for it as I don't think I could bear holding my mouth open for the time it will take him - hate this illness at times :( :cry:
bekwey
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 am

Hi guys. Just read this post and I thought I'd let you know what help I got. After seeing my dentist (NHS) she sent a letter to the hospital . They told me I had myo-facial pain dysfunction . This causes jaw joint noise- such as clicking and popping. Pain- dull ache around jaw and as far as near the ear.. They suggested that I rub ibuprofen gel around jaw line and then referred me back to the dentist suggesting I where a mouth guard on my bottom jaw. So back to the dentist she was very helpful and fixed me up with a rubber guard. Didn't work so she changed it to a plastic one to be worn every time I go to sleep. Touch wood it has helped ! :). I still sometimes have to use the gel. Also they suggested that I massage gently from my jaw line starting from my ears and working down in circular movements. I really hope this has helped you guys. Take care xxx
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby cnedra73 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi, just read your post, my dentist thought I was grinding my teeth during my sleep & suggested a guard for the night but when I mentioned it to my doctor he referred to the ear, nose & throat people. On examination when I went to see them they informed me I had Temporomandibular disorder TMD can cause:

clicking, popping or grating noises as you chew or move your mouth
muscle pain around the jaw
pain in front of the ear that may spread to the cheek, ear and temple
difficulty opening the mouth – the jaw may feel tight, as if it is stuck, making eating difficult
headache or migraine
earache or a "buzzing" or blocked sensation in the ear
pain in other areas of the body – such as neckache or backache
I've copied this from the NHS web site. They gave me exercises to do when it gets bad & they calm most of the pain down.
It may be a good idea to get yourself checked out by your doc & make some suggestions to them about what it could be they may not have thought of it
cnedra73
UKFM Member

Postby looeboy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 pm

I too have had the dreaded jaw pain. It was really bad for two days, called the Doctor it was so bad. I was told to phone 999 as I was probably soon having a heart attack!

Spent the night in Hospital, wired up to ECG machine. Put under 15 observations (very tiring). Following morning the Doctors were at a loss. Consultant suggested I be assessed for probable Fibromyalgia. So it begins.......

That was 6 years ago and I still get jaw pain.
looeboy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am

Yes I have pain in my jaw. Had a clicky jaw that locks since I was in my late teens. I have to unhinge it in order to open my mouth wide. It hurts sometimes like I've pulled a muscle if I'm not careful. It clicks still. Hate it!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi,
For the last week or so I have been getting a strange pain underneath my chin next to my jawbone on the right. I think it might be some sort of nerve pain. It is intermittent and like a stabbing pain. It doesn't happen all the time but I get periods where it is like stab stab stab constantly and then periods when is fine. I don't have any idea what brings it on.

I am used to toothache style jaw pain but not this random intermittent stabbing. And it's in a different place to be underneath my jaw…
I am aware that it could be related to teeth grinding or TMJ… But could it be anything else? I wouldn't want to put it down to something and find I should have done something about it…
I have tried painkillers but they make no difference as with most FM… LOL
Does anybody have any other tips which might help ease this or stop this altogether?
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia