Threatened with written warning at work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Threatened with written warning at work

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I have just gone back to work after being off sick for 6 weeks, I work for the NHS and have been off a few time this year with flare ups, I was being formally monitored but was taken off that a few months ago, however because I have been off sick again I have triggered the sickness monitoring again but now it escalates to a hearing with my matron and the manager of HR. On Friday I got a letter telling me I have to go to a meeting with my matron and the manager of HR to discuss my sickness levels, the letter also says that this could result in a written warning :yikes: I am getting really stressed out now that I am going to lose my job because of having Fibro and this will be a disaster, I am single so only have my wage coming in and I have my house to pay for and all the bills that entails, this really is not helping and to top it all I have caught a cold from someone and feel ill because of that but I daren't not go to work or I will be in even more trouble, luckily its my day off tomorrow so I am hoping that if I rest the cold will go away, so fed up of this :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Threatened with written warning at work

Postby Maryanne » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi madchickenlady, As you are a NHS employee go to your union rep and If I remember rightly they can be with you at the meeting. It was along while ago I was employed by the NHS. I finished in 1995 and before fibro. However last year I was off work 11 weeks after being hospitalised through a flare up. Thought my job would be going but, there are procedures the employer has to follow. Citizens Advice Bureau may be helpful or even ACAS :goodluck2:
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks for your reply, I am a member of the RCN so I am going to contact them tomorrow to find out who my rep is, I also have a staff counselling assessment tomorrow so I am hoping that will help :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 am

Def contact your union. I had to as I'm at end of 2nd stage of 3 at my work and my rep has been fantastic.

Try not to get too upset with the wording in the letters, they'll most probably be a set thing they have to write. It's the same in mine and it always points out that I could end up being dismissed.

Good luck
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 am

Hi, I worked for NHS and have been through this. Do not go to meetings alone, if the union rep can't go, take a friend. Take notes and listen, first to what they say. They have to make allowances for your health. The law states they have to make efforts to accomodate your health needs. It may be shorter hours or different area of work. I moved to POPD from NICU, worked 8 instead of 12 hour shifts.
I agree it is stressful, but they can't just finish you, even a written warning is a way off that.
Take care, let us know how you get on x
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:41 am

Yes I also worked for the NHS and due to sickness for a different condition went to a lot of these meetings. The letters do seem to be standard wording.

As everyone else says take a union rep. Mine was worth his weight in gold and did have to challenge HR on a few occasions. :nono: :nono:

Hope all goes well. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:14 am

Really hope you get through this ok. All this kind of stress is the last thing we need. All the advice already given sounds really good. Thinking of you.
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby pepperpig22 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:43 am

I am on my last warning been off since 2 sept this year with fibro after my ribs were fractured by a client in April thought I was going back to work on the 10 nov but doc signed me off for another month so waiting to hear whether I have a job to go back too. its so not fair cos of fibro but my doc said they have a duty of care to ppl with fibro cos it comes under the equality act and fibro is there on the disabilities page so it would have to early retirement due to ill health if they cant or wait change things for you at work better to take someone in with you definitely because of fibro fog and we all need support. Good luckxxx
pepperpig22
UKFM Newbie

Postby Monty99 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:45 pm

You are classified has having a disability and your employers would have trouble dismissing you due to your illness. You have a chronic long term condition with no known cure and as such are covered by the disability law. I suggest you read up on it before your meeting. The meeting could be seen as a way to help you cope with your disability, for example perhaps later starts and shorter shifts to ease you through the colder months. If it turns out just to be a dismissal meeting then your employers will be in for trouble, they have to by law look at ways to help keep you employed, not to make you unemployable. Good luck
Monty99
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi madchickenlady,

I worked in HR including in the NHS for a many years.

Yes, the letter will be standard wording. It must have some wording in it about being accompanied by a TU rep or a colleague. You are allowed the chance to reschedule once if they can't attend the date given, so use that if you need to. You really need your rep with you.

Have they made any allowances/changes for you already? You don't say. One thing they could do is allow you a higher absence rate. It won't be a major difference but it will help. Your TU rep should know about this.

They should also consider redeployment, part time hours, swapping some duties around (if possible in your job) to avoid any more physical aspects...your TU rep should be up on all of this but not only that, it should be in your sickness absence policy. Get a copy of that.

Bear in mind, the meeting will follow a fairly set pattern and that is dictated by the policy. HR and the manager will be pretty bound by that, so please don't take it too personally (I know that is difficult believe me!).

Also, and this is not something they would recommend, but you will have a max of 6 months full sick pay and 6 half pay, depending on length of service. Don't be afraid to take it if you need to, to rest and recuperate. NHS policies take ages to carry out and there will be a 3 step process I think of first written warning, final written warning and dismissal. That usually takes them about 6 months, they're not the quickest, so don't panic just yet.

Finally, any questions, please ask on here or PM me.

Good luck :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Tigs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Oh my gosh Madchicken lady,

I to work for the NHS (a trust in Cornwall) and have a meeting with HR and my team lead tomorrow. I have not received any letter and was only informed when doing the weekly phone call check in thing (which I don't mind but it sometimes seems pointless as with something like Fibro you often can't tell from one hour to the next how you are).

I have currently been off almost 3 months (during this period, 1st few wks, is when my doctor suspected Fibro and as all other test have come back completely clear she is 99.9% sure. I have appointment beginning of Jan for official diagnosis). I like you can not afford a pay cut or to lose my job. I have 2 children and my husband had an accident 3yrs ago which has left him disabled, meaning I am the only earner/carer for the family (closest relatives are 2 hrs drive away). It's hard because I love my job and like everyone in the NHS my team are stretched and I want to be there supporting them. I've always been a mega fit, active, upbeat and bubbly person but Fibro has knocked me completely off my feet! I'm hoping to make arrangement with them to do a phase return to work for the middle of this month, which I really want to do, but to be honest I'm scared I wont be able to and will end up making myself poorly. This will mean I will have to go off ill again and then give them reason to take further disciplinary action. I have been fortunate that the medication I have been put on is helping but some symptoms seems to be getting worse and when they do daily task are very difficult.

Zia2014, boy are we lucky to have you around! It's amazing how once someone who knows explains things it becomes so clear.

I wish :goodluck1: and stay strong xx
Tigs
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Tigs wrote:Zia2014, boy are we lucky to have you around! It's amazing how once someone who knows explains things it becomes so clear.

Ah thanks, I'm just glad I can help. If you need any help as well, please let me know x
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Lorirach » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi,

I am in the same position too! I am a nurse and I just had my meeting with HR and my manager. I wish I had taken a rep with me. On the phone my manager had sounded really accommodating and would swap my permanent nights for night and day shifts but in the meeting she was telling me categorically no way could she swap my shifts around as it was not fair to other members of staff. I really felt my manager and HR were against me although to be fair, like has previously been written, they do have to stick to their policy - I just wish I had had someone who knew the policy inside out and was on my side!

She pointed out I was already part-time and that I couldn't have a phased return to work - I have been off work for nearly 4 months now :( I start back next week and am dreading it. Nothing like working for the NHS eh?!! But seriously, my advice is definitely take a rep with you!

Hope you get things sorted soon. Stress, as we all know, only makes us worse xxx

:hugs: Gentle hugs :)
Lorirach
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Lorirach wrote:Hi,

I am in the same position too! I am a nurse and I just had my meeting with HR and my manager. I wish I had taken a rep with me. On the phone my manager had sounded really accommodating and would swap my permanent nights for night and day shifts but in the meeting she was telling me categorically no way could she swap my shifts around as it was not fair to other members of staff. I really felt my manager and HR were against me although to be fair, like has previously been written, they do have to stick to their policy - I just wish I had had someone who knew the policy inside out and was on my side!

She pointed out I was already part-time and that I couldn't have a phased return to work - I have been off work for nearly 4 months now :( I start back next week and am dreading it. Nothing like working for the NHS eh?!! But seriously, my advice is definitely take a rep with you!

Hope you get things sorted soon. Stress, as we all know, only makes us worse xxx

:hugs: Gentle hugs :)

Hi Lorirach,

Hmm. If I may comment on your situation:

"she was telling me categorically no way could she swap my shifts around as it was not fair to other members of staff"

That's simply not true. They have a duty of care to you and as long as it can be accommodated within the department, they can do it. Doesn't matter about whether it's fair or not, you having fibro isn't fair! If she'd said it couldn't be arranged because of shifts etc then I'd understand that may be the case, but what she's said simply isn't the case.

"I couldn't have a phased return to work" - did she say why not? Do you have any annual leave left? I bet any money it recommends one after that sort of length of absence within your sickness absence policy. I'd strongly argue you should have one after 4 months off, and again that's their duty of care to you.

Do you have a union rep? If so please get on to them asap and let them know the bits I quoted from your post. It sounds all kinds of wrong to me.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Tigs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Zia2014 wrote:
Tigs wrote:Zia2014, boy are we lucky to have you around! It's amazing how once someone who knows explains things it becomes so clear.

Ah thanks, I'm just glad I can help. If you need any help as well, please let me know x

Thank you very much. Meeting was yesterday, HR were very supportive and followed things you mentioned.
Thank you again :flowers:
Tigs
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia