Threatened with written warning at work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Threatened with written warning at work

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Oh yay, I'm so glad for you :-D It makes such a difference when you know you are being listened to and helped.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 am

Zia2014 wrote:Hi madchickenlady,

I worked in HR including in the NHS for a many years.

Yes, the letter will be standard wording. It must have some wording in it about being accompanied by a TU rep or a colleague. You are allowed the chance to reschedule once if they can't attend the date given, so use that if you need to. You really need your rep with you.

Have they made any allowances/changes for you already? You don't say. One thing they could do is allow you a higher absence rate. It won't be a major difference but it will help. Your TU rep should know about this.

They should also consider redeployment, part time hours, swapping some duties around (if possible in your job) to avoid any more physical aspects...your TU rep should be up on all of this but not only that, it should be in your sickness absence policy. Get a copy of that.

Bear in mind, the meeting will follow a fairly set pattern and that is dictated by the policy. HR and the manager will be pretty bound by that, so please don't take it too personally (I know that is difficult believe me!).

Also, and this is not something they would recommend, but you will have a max of 6 months full sick pay and 6 half pay, depending on length of service. Don't be afraid to take it if you need to, to rest and recuperate. NHS policies take ages to carry out and there will be a 3 step process I think of first written warning, final written warning and dismissal. That usually takes them about 6 months, they're not the quickest, so don't panic just yet.

Finally, any questions, please ask on here or PM me.

Good luck :)

Hi and thanks for your help, so far they have been quite helpful, I work 12 hour shifts so I only have to work 3 days a week, they have organised it so that I don't ever have to work two days in a row and I can also request to work in the outpatient clinics on days where I am not feeling too well, I had a report from Occy Health that suggested these changes and they stuck to them, I also cut my hours from 37.5 down to 34.5 to make my hours add up to the right total because before I had to do an extra shift every 4 weeks to make my hours up, this meant that in one week of every month I was having to to 4 days and it killed me
I am considering dropping my hours to 30 but I am not sure if I can afford it yet, I am going to take a rep with me if I can or else a colleague, I actually got another letter exactly the same this week so my boss must have not realised I had already been sent one, I am going to mention that when I go as its not helpful getting two letters threatening you :roll:
I will let you know how I get on
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 am

Hi everyone and thanks for your helpful replies, I am feeling a lot calmer about it now so hopefully it will go ok, I will let you know how I get on
I had my first week back at work doing my long days this week, the first one was ok but the second one nearly killed me because it was so busy and we didn't get our breaks until late plus I was the only HCA doing any work on the ward that day so I was running around all over the place, There was another NA working but she was in clinic in the morning then when she came back to the ward she spent nearly all the time on the computer doing work for her NVQ or gossiping with her mentor :roll: I made it to the end of the shift though and have had the day off today and tomorrow then back on Friday for another long shift, hopefully that one will go ok and won't be so busy
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am

I think there should be a section just for NHS workers lol...........

There are so many of use NHS workers whether it be nurses, HCA etc and time and time again we are being subjected to not being able to adjust our shifts and general lack of empathy due to strict sickness policies which do not recognise and understand chronic ill health.

My occ health nurse told me that the DDA act did not apply to the NHS and only to office and factory workers!! My union rep step it before me and told her she needed to read it!

I wish everyone luck and i am here if anyone wants and advice or support,either here or PM after over 5 years of struggling i am throwing the towel in and going for ill health retirement at the age of 40, i have had enough, so 22 years of service and 15 years in intensive care the NHS has lost a nurse due to there policies!

Take Care everyone and just give me a shout if you want advice or anything!

Love to all NHS workers struggling :grouphug:

Cat
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 pm

gizsam wrote:I think there should be a section just for NHS workers lol...........

There are so many of use NHS workers whether it be nurses, HCA etc and time and time again we are being subjected to not being able to adjust our shifts and general lack of empathy due to strict sickness policies which do not recognise and understand chronic ill health.

My occ health nurse told me that the DDA act did not apply to the NHS and only to office and factory workers!! My union rep step it before me and told her she needed to read it!

I wish everyone luck and i am here if anyone wants and advice or support,either here or PM after over 5 years of struggling i am throwing the towel in and going for ill health retirement at the age of 40, i have had enough, so 22 years of service and 15 years in intensive care the NHS has lost a nurse due to there policies!

Take Care everyone and just give me a shout if you want advice or anything!

Love to all NHS workers struggling :grouphug:

lol, I think you might be right, the NHS is terrible at looking after their staff ,they work us into the ground and then don't care when we burn out. My Occy health doctor was really helpful and it was her that pointed out that I am protected by the Disability Act because I have a chronic Illness
I found a report in my email account this week from Occy health and it says I am not eligible for ill health retirement, I can't afford to do that yet anyway so I am going to try to go on as long as I can
Its such a shame that they are losing nurses who have loads of experience just because they can't be a little bit flexible :grouphug:

Cat
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Think your reply got a bit mixed up in my quote box..lol

I have struggled for 5 and half years of meetings/warnings more warnings, this year the fibro haas not let up and i have pretty much been off sick for a year except for a brief attempt at going back in may, but then my dads cancer took off.

My dad passed away in July after a very rare aggressive cancer took hold very quickly, it made me think its not worth it, i havent had children, my house is up for sale and i will move in permanent with my partner.

I had hoped after the stress of my dad had gone i would improve but that hasnt been the case, my partner said to me if i decide to go, think the last person i nursed was my beloved dad.Bless him he is my rock and supports me not matter what.

Take care

Cat xx
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Awww sorry about your dad, I lost my eldest sister to breast cancer just after I was diagnosed so I know how you feel, I do hope you see some improvement soon and it good luck with moving in with your partner, it makes a difference when you have someone supporting you, I took your suggestion and started a post for NHS staff, I am really interested to see how many are here and what their experiences have been
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 pm

i have replied to your other post,i am interested too

cat x
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby rick31797 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm

I am a male with fibro, been 19 yrs now, i had to go on disability after working 5 yrs with this illness..I was not in health care, but when i was going to support groups, one thing that was mentioned is health care workers are more incline to get this illness then anybody else... the only key factor that comes up is the great deal of stress they are under triggers it.. IN my case i was a foreman in a manufacturing plant and also dealt with alot of stress..
rick31797
UKFM Newbie

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:17 pm

rick31797 wrote:I am a male with fibro, been 19 yrs now, i had to go on disability after working 5 yrs with this illness..I was not in health care, but when i was going to support groups, one thing that was mentioned is health care workers are more incline to get this illness then anybody else... the only key factor that comes up is the great deal of stress they are under triggers it.. IN my case i was a foreman in a manufacturing plant and also dealt with alot of stress..

Seems like a common theme :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Well I had my meeting and it went ok, I decided not to take anyone with me for this first meeting because I wanted to see how the land lied, anyway I met with my manager and the woman from HR, she told me about the Attendance management policy and said I probably hadn't read it, so I told her that I had in fact read it :-) she asked me about my reasons for being off sick so I explained it all to her, the upshot was that I have been placed back on formal monitoring for three months and if I go off sick within that time I will get a written warning, that is their new policy. I have an appointment with Pain management on the 22nd of December and they are going to wait to see what the results of that is then I have to go back to Occy Health
Two of my colleagues also had meetings after me, one has been off repeatedly with Migraines and also has just had four weeks off with pneumonia, she has only been working with us for a year but has had quite a lot of time off, she ended up getting a written warning straight off
My other colleague has been working for the ward for years but has had a lot of time off over the years for various things, she now has to have heart surgery soon and she was put back on formal monitoring the same as me, if she goes for her op within the next three months she will get a written warning :(
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi all,
I dont work for the NHS and have recently gone part time after having my daughter, Due to my fibro - recently diagnosed and getting prgressively worse) my absence has crept up.
Just had a meeting with my mnager who is genuinely really good with me but there is only so much he can do to keep the upper heidons at bay.
How long do you think we should give it before deciding that we cant work any longer - I'm in a complete quandry - worrying about being sick and having to phone in is making me worse! I'm not sure how much longer i can handle the stress for, its getting me really down and i find myself becoming more and more depressed by it.
My manager is organising some counselling for me through work in the hope that this helps - as I say he is doing everything he can

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
xxx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi there,

I have some questions, sorry! I'm in HR so if I understand a bit more I can try and help.

Who do you work for, ie. big/public org, private company (and big or small), charity? That will make all the difference in terms of things like sick pay etc. Do you know your sickness policy at all, in fact do you know if you have one?

How much absence have you had? There might be a 'trigger' in the policy that will help me understand what your organisation will be thinking.

I'm assuming you are at work at the moment, is that right. Going part time should help, how many hours do you do? Also, are there any other jobs you can do that would be easier?

The counselling should help but how far through the diagnosis process are you? I only got mine two months ago and am having all sorts of appointments etc still.

Sorry for all the questions but I'll try and help as much as I can.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 pm

hi

I'm afraid I don't have much advise to offer because I really don't know the legalities of this sort of thing, but I just wanted to say - I thought people with fibro were covered under the disability /equality (or whatever its called) act which means that they can't penalise you for sickness relating to a disability? if so I don't understand why you are getting warnings for having time off?

or am I very wrong? :-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Sorry but not quite dazz, you come under the Act if it lasts a year or more, or is likely to, but it doesn't stop sickness policies being applied although adjustment canand should be made. I'm on my tablet so will expand on this tomorrow.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia