Posing a question regarding "non-progressive" condition....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Posing a question regarding "non-progressive" condition.

Postby PMKing » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:FluffyPuffy,

I understand what you are saying, but that is degenerative.....What I am saying is that we are progressive, as in, the condition does get worse with time, symptoms do get added to the list, and the overall condition moves forward and does not stagnate.

Arthritis is degenerative, I agree with that, is progresses by causing damage to the joints, but Fibro is progressive as we become less and less able bodied. Plus I would go out on a limb and even say that our muscles do degenerate, as the pain increases our activity decreases so our muscles atrophy...

My GP and various consultants described the condition as Early Onset to start with why defeats me even now. However these days the refer to it as degenerative. When asked why the GP put it like this:-

Non-progressive is for a permanent issue that never changes.
Progressive is for arthritis or similar that is known to have a general pattern of deterioration.
Degenerative is for conditions that cause a weakening of the body to perform in a manner considered normal,(read previously known)
Debilitating is used for those conditions that weaken the body to the point of extreme fatigue.

However giving a bit of thought into the GPs explanation it would seem more likely we, the sufferers are indeed stricken with a degenerative and debilitating condition that is progressive but has no known general pattern of progression as no 2 sufferers do so exactly the same way. :!: :shock:
PMKing
UKFM Member

Re: Posing a question regarding "non-progressive" condition.

Postby dazzleship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:14 pm

hi Queenie. :hugs:

As far as I'm concerned yes fibro is progressive.

when I was diagnosed with it about two and a half years ago, I was suffering random pains all over my body. I didn't have any problems walking, I still had the same normal life I'd always had, the only difference was these random pains. I could still go for hill walks with hubby and the dogs.

about a year ago, I had to start using elbow crutches when going into town for a few hours because I could no longer walk around the shops due to the pain in my back and hips and the heavy feeling and pain in my legs.

a few months after that I started using the crutches at work too, when I realised I could no longer shuffle along the corridor holding onto the wall for support.

a few weeks ago, after realising that crutches were no longer enough for me on days out, I bought a wheelchair.

so in the space of two and a half years I've gone from being fully mobile to being a part-time wheelchair user. if that's not progressive I don't know what is.

and it's not as though I've just sat around allowing myself to get worse - I even talked this over with hubby just the other day in fact - and we both agree that it's not as if I've 'given up' and allowed myself to become less mobile. it's happened despite my best attempts at trying to continue with my life.

I know what FluppyPuffy says is true in terms of how doctors think of fibro - because it doesn't damage our bodies they don't see it as progressive - but as you say, that would be more 'degenerative' than 'progressive' - I totally agree that progressive should be the right word to describe fibro.

I asked my (previous) GP once if fibro gets worse (this was roughly at the start of the year, when I was in crutches mode). she said "it doesn't get worse but I can see how you can think it does" :shock: I still ponder over that one.

so many people not just on this forum, but on other places on t'internet discussing fibro there are always so many people, definitely the majority of them, saying that they have gotten worse. and I don't think it's a case of us just having gotten older since diagnosis. I'm only two years older than I was when I was diagnosed, and I'm four years younger than hubby and he's a heck of a lot more mobile than I am! so age isn't the cause of it.

so long story short :mrgreen: - yes I think fibro is progressive. I just wish the doctors would finally realise it. :roll:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia