cold turkey ~ GP try not to take pain killers

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cold turkey ~ GP try not to take pain killers

Postby hazely » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi does anyone else find the pain killers just don't work. My gp made me go cold turkey for 4 days no migraine or pain killers and it was a nightmare, although it has stopped the migraine from being daily and sometimes twice a day. I do still get them. she has told me not to take my pain killers until absolutely necessary. now I have been doing this for a couple of weeks, but have been struggling. This week I have taken them as and when I need them. I thought stuff her shes not the one here in pain everyday. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same experience with there gp.
hazely
UKFM Member

Re: cold turkey ~ GP try not to take pain killers

Postby dazzleship » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 pm

I think what your GP may be trying to do is get you to not have headaches that are caused by the painkillers. I don't know what ones you are taking but I do know that some of them say in the leaflet that if you take them too often for headaches they can actually cause headaches. (I'm pretty sure my co-codamol says that). I know I've seen it somewhere.

so I see what your GP is trying to do although I also see it's not easy for you to be in pain of course.

if you're having a lot of headaches have you ever tried that stuff called '4Head' ? I think you can get it in supermarkets as well as chemist. It's something that you rub onto your temples (it comes in a little stick sort of thing) and it has a menthol-ish smell. it does help with headaches sometimes.

also find that rubbing the pressure point at base of thumb (either rub with your finger or use a 'pain pen' on it if you have one) can help lessen a headache.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

A recent appt with a new Neurologist, Asked me to stop taking any medication in the family of Paracetamol, Tramadol, Co-Codamol, Co-Drydomal etc as they felt it was condritubting to my 24hr headaches. All I have left is my Rizatriptan and Diazepam for Mirgraines and Spasms. I have to admit this past year I have been weaning off alot of meds as I wasn't feeling they benefited and started showing hypersensitivty to them and bad side effects.

Physically my symptoms are still the same, as are my triggers. But I have chosen to work on monitoring myself more carefully, more constructive pacing is now needed to ensure I dont trigger flares intentionally. Life is more constrained, but I feel I am more in control than my pain was, before. Feel I am working with my Fibro than against it now.

I will admit when they said no more of these drugs, I felt panic, and stressed, as I have been using them to cope for 20 odd years. I thought I would die if I didn't have them. I think what helped me was I was luckly to still be seeing a psychologist during all this time at the pain clinic and they themself wanted me to be aware of how the pain meds were doing little to help me manage my chronic pain, but instead they wanted me to stop using them so automatically, since after years of taking them you really begin to believe you cant live without them. Its taken me a long time to adjust to not relying on them to live a manged life with pain.

I would explain to your doctor that you need more help than just cold turkey. The help from a Pain psychologist during this weaning off process would improve your chances of making this change and help you manage your thoughts and feelings, during it. Its a big change and really daunting to take the challenge of no more meds. Its easy for them to say, but really hard to do for the patient in pain, not just the physical pain but the mental too.

I wont deny it I was really scared when I started coming off meds and stopping constantly going for alternative therapies. Being Scared does not help your pain, being scared creates alot of tension, and tension leads to more pain.

I am now in a place of better pain management, but I would not have reached this without the amazing support from my pain psychologist.

Hope you can get your GP to give you more support.
With loving Kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 pm

hi yes was cocodamol, ibruprofen and rizatriptan but been having migraine for 15 years, just when fibro popped up 3 years ago migraines went haywire and I had no control over them where before I was able to manage them. Tried other pain killers and have to come off them i'm not very good with meds and have awful side effects to most. yes I use forehead. I am currently waiting for an appointment for ipt and then will be having cbt and pain clinic afterwards. I also have a neurology appointment for January so hopefully these all might help.

thanks for you replies.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:03 pm

being a know-it-all-staff nurse now retired thanks to the hell i live in - i weaned myself off all the medication back in January this year but after 6 weeks i had to give in and now i take cocodamol 30/500mg x2 twice a day and 30mg of dulocetine. As for migraine the only thing that works for me is sleep. In fact the only thing that seems to be working for anything at the minute is sleep, which is not very conducive to living and life.

Personally i would wean yourself off all the medication and see what happens and then once your body has had a break you will know what you need.

And i also meditate when the pain or fatigue is bad and every night before sleep i think it helps.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zelphi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:03 pm

I've had Fibro for many years although was only diagnosed four years ago. I try not to take painkillers unless I really have to. I try to manage the pain rather than it managing me.

I would try and reduce the number of painkillers you are taking and see how it goes.

Gentle Hugs
Zelphi
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sioriwish » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:11 pm

I do the same as zelphi. I haven't had to use painkillers loads in a couple of years even though I've had fibro for 7. I've only had the odd part where I couldn't sleep if i didn't take them. (This doesn't mean i don't have flare ups, I do but I manage them without painkillers)

Your body gets too used to relying on the painkillers, that it lets the painkillers do all the work and doesn't learn how to handle the pain itself. I learned that whilst on a biology course. It explains why you're struggling. Give it a few more weeks and hopefully you'll see a difference with the headaches.

I hope you feel better soon!
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Postby dawney1962 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 pm

I suffered migraines from my teens whch got worse in my late 30's by which time they co-incided with my periods would be in bed for the day before and first day. No tablets gave me relief. Reflexology was recommended so I gave it a try and it worked! The first time I went when she was attending to my reproductive area my torso jerked. I started at once a month and now as long as I have it a few times a year I am migraine free. I am lucky thelady who does it has become a good friend, she works from home so is relatively cheap, so it pays to shop around. I wasn't disgnosed FM until the age of 43 after a minor accident made worse some symptoms I already had. Reflexology doesn't take awy he pain for my FM but it does help. I know we are all dfferent I can say this helped me.
dawney1962
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia