Fibro and immune system

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and immune system

Postby Debbieloveschocolate » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 am

Does anyone know if having fibro lowers your immune system?? I have just been diagnosed with fibro [about a month and a half ago]and since then I have just caught my first ever cold, I never ever get colds x
Debbieloveschocolate
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro and immune system

Postby Lindenp » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:04 am

I have been diagnosed since 2008 :scream-1: and I still don't get colds or anything. Fibro seems to be all encompassing for all sorts of other conditions such as depression, Irritable Bowel Syndrome etc but not heard anyone say they catch colds and things. Are you maybe overdoing things? Hard not to with Fibro but that will probably reduce your resistance to colds etc. Just a thought. I find when I ignore my body telling me it's tired my mood plumets very quickly. Sorry I can't be of anymore help. Hope you solve the mystery soon.

Gentle hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby Angie Baby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 am

Hi, I've got fibromyalgia, and I've got a very low immune system. I've also had two operation's on my spine one in 2009 and the next 2010. :nono: :pull-hair: I seem to pick everything that's going around. Every Christmas I would be poorly with flu,I was told that I couldn't have the flu jab. This year I've been given the jab, I don't know if it will work for me because I still pick colds up. I hope thing's aren't so bad for you. Gentle hugs. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby PMKing » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:31 pm

I've had FBS for more years than I care to remember. I was made aware that a sufferer can be compromised if they have had one of the severe flu types say the recent Swine Flu pandemic. I was told by Drs that a sufferer may be more prone to colds and the like as a legacy. I asked why and the response was because an FBS sufferer can if they have one of the viruses and a flare up at the same time be left immune compromised as the immune system reacts to a flare up.

It might be worth noting too that many people likely the majority of the population will suffer colds etc this year due to the odd climatic conditions so Drs tell me it would be possible for sufferers of so called chronic conditions would be more susceptible to being ill for a prolonged spell.
PMKing
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Debbieloveschocolate, Yes it can and does have the tendency to affect our immune system and i know from personal experience that it does. It may be a good idea to have your vitamin D levels checked to make sure because that is what is commonly affected.

Fibro messes with our whole system, including our immune systym and why should it be any different from the rest of our body?
Vitamin D is a hormone and fibro affects our hormones as well.I take vit. D everyday and please stay away from the pill form as it only has a 30% absorption rate. I use D drops and it works best for me.

Good luck and i hope this helps somewhat. :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Debbieloveschocolate » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for all your replies, I am vit d and b12 deficient, I have been told to take supplements for these in tablet form. My pharmacist has told me that the vitamin tablets won't do much for me and that I should see my dr about having B12 jabs. I'm having a bit a rough time at the moment, random pains and stuff!
Debbieloveschocolate
UKFM Newbie

Postby Paisleyjane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi, i have found less susceptible to colds since leaving work. The occy health consultant said to take high dose vit d, got mine from Amazon. I think its 5000 MG's dose daily and to keep levels higher than normal. Though recent research shows higher levels are necessary, than previously thought.
Take care
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 am

Paisleyjane wrote:Hi, i have found less susceptible to colds since leaving work. The occy health consultant said to take high dose vit d, got mine from Amazon. I think its 5000 MG's dose daily and to keep levels higher than normal. Though recent research shows higher levels are necessary, than previously thought.
Take care

I've been taking a high dose of B12 and D since reading that the RDAs for vitamins are out of date and should be a lot higher in some cases. I wish more people knew this - I'd been taking a multivitamin for years and assuming I was geting everything I needed. I
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia