mornings

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

mornings

Postby dazzleship » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:54 am

well here I am attempting to get my body's battery started before I go to work and I have a question.

does anyone else really struggle in the mornings, just to get going? lately I'm finding it a real struggle getting up.

it's not because I'm not sleeping - far from it, I'm actually sleeping really well lately (mostly not even waking up during the night) so I don't feel that it's tiredness.

I am a bit stiff in my back and hips on a morning (is that a fibro thing?) but the real problem is what I can only describe as "slowness" - whereas hubby gets up and is raring to go and can do things at a normal speed, I'm there like I'm in some sort of weird slow motion where I just can't. get. going. at all

and it's driving me crazy because we only have a set amount of time on a morning before we have to leave for work yet I invariably end up making us late or almost late just because I am so slow.

:-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: mornings

Postby Polaris » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:46 am

Mornings are probably the worst time for me. The fact that you can get a good nights sleep is probably why you're still able to work. On average it will take me around 2 hours to get up and out of bed in the mornings. This can be pretty uncomfortable if you need to use the bathroom. I wake up during the night often and average between 5 to 6 hours sleep. Last night I woke up 5 times during the night due to intense pain in my arms. I have a laptop by the bed so even now I'm still not up and mobilised. I'll take my painkillers and hopefully they will help reduce the aching in a while. Last night I turned in at around 9:30 pm and then got to sleep around 11pm. I then woke at about midnight, a little after 1am then again about 3 and 5 then finally just after 6am. It's now 8:40am but I got up and went to the bathroom at 8:15 then had to come and lay down again after that. Before I married I would keep a kettle beside the bed and a cold bag with an ice pack for some Soya milk and have breakfast in bed, although it would typically take me half an hour or so before I could move to switch on the kettle or pick up the cold bag. These days being married my wife will bring me coffee and cereal which helps get me a great deal in the mornings. My mind is saying 'Go' but my body is saying 'No'.
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Dazzleship,

I am the woman that could get up at 4 in the morning after just 3-5 hours sleep and be running as soon as my feet hit the ground. Now, 3 hours and at least 2 cups of the black stuff have to happen for me to even attempt to get through the shower. I think also with winter setting in, I know that my body and mind have taken a dive. I suffer from SAD, but I think everyone does to an extent. We need the vitamin D from the sun and when we don't get it, it makes us turn to slugs. I used to work in a nuclear bunker, three foot walls and NO windows for obvious reasons, so I would go outside as often as I could for a cigarette or just to breath fresh air. I was put onto a sun lamp, some have light boxes, but mine was just a lamp with a bulb that gave out similar light to the sun and kept me sane.....I know it sounds silly, but possibly changing some bulbs in the house, bedroom and bathroom, to help move things along in the mornings could help. It is not a miracle cure, but you should notice a difference after about a week.

Just my 2 cents, but good luck sweetie...xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby guitarlady1964 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Mornings are the worst part of the day for me. Not only is the pain the worst of all the day butalso the stiffness. It takes me a good hour or more to be able to get up. I also get numbness in my toes at night. My first hour awake is waiting for my pain meds to kick in enough to move. I also do not sleep well. Awake at least 3 times in the night either from pain or the night sweats. Oh iisn't fibro fun!!!
guitarlady1964
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Its a mix for me really. Before my meds started kicking in, I used to struggle to get up out of bed due to severe stiffness. I would hobble on painful feet like and old granny, hunched over, to the loo. Now my feet aren't too bad and I don't have to hunch. I have stiff fingers on my right hand and a bit stiff but not like I used to be. The past few days I've been struggling as I'm so tired. Been a busy few days for me though! I sleep well too. At the weekends I lie in a bit longer bit this makes me much worse lol Cannot win! :lol:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Yes, I can relate. It's worse now it's dark when I crawl out at 5.30 a.m.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes yes a million times yes!

That's why I went part time - I was simply unable to function first thing, and it was taking hours before I could even take a shower! Part of that was the Amit/Nort, but a lot was being very stiff (have to spend minutes even getting out of bed) and mentally not about for a while. I used to leap out of bed, even after insomnia, so I didn't fall back asleep. I simply can't do that anymore.

I got very good at getting down stairs whilst stiff and in pain, because our toilet is downstairs :roll: The only other thing I do is make a coffee, and I lay everything out ready the night before so I can do that. I need two heaped cups before I can function.

I'm sure the agencies think I am just lazy when I say I can only work in the afternoons.

I had to sack off a support group this morning because I was in so much pain first thing.

Queenie_70 wrote: Now, 3 hours and at least 2 cups of the black stuff have to happen for me to even attempt to get through the shower.

I was looking for a high five smiley but this will have to do!! :twodrinking1:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Yep me too I'm like a zombie and I always feel like I've got a hangover.

I keep my morning tablets by my bed now and have them as soon as I wake up. That way they're working by the time I can persuade my body to get up.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I am the same. Lower back and hips very stiff. Takes me much longer these days to wake up and get going but I have to do school run Monday to Friday (hurrah for weekends!) so battle through. What has helped a little is using an alarm that mimics the sunrise so that the gradual increasing light wakes your brain up before the alarm goes off - they are designed for people who suffer from SAD - definitely recommend it.
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby Angie Baby » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 am

Yes this is me every morning. I don't sleep very well at night despite taking 150mg of amitriptyline! I had an accident at work in 2008. I've had 2 spinal operations one in 22009 and one in 2010. I'm still in constant excruciating pain. I used to be a cleaner working for the post office. I was medically retired in 2011. My husband Al is now my carer and he has to wash my hair for me because I cannot manage it anymore. It takes me ages to get out of bed. Lucky our son's have all grown up. I don't know how you managed to get your children to school on time and look after them. If I haven't been sleeping very well. I stop in bed a while longer. Gentle hugs everyone. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :needhug:
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 am

Angie Baby wrote:Yes this is me every morning. I don't sleep very well at night despite taking 150mg of amitriptyline! I had an accident at work in 2008. I've had 2 spinal operations one in 22009 and one in 2010. I'm still in constant excruciating pain. I used to be a cleaner working for the post office. I was medically retired in 2011. My husband Al is now my carer and he has to wash my hair for me because I cannot manage it anymore. It takes me ages to get out of bed. Lucky our son's have all grown up. I don't know how you managed to get your children to school on time and look after them. If I haven't been sleeping very well. I stop in bed a while longer. Gentle hugs everyone. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :needhug:

With regards to the kids, its a having to rather than choosing to. To be honest, I am glad that I have to do that job as it gets me moving, which is very important when you have fibro. Staying still too long is much worse for me. Sure, some mornings I would rather have another hours sleep but i am sure my husband would too as he leaves early for work :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Mornings??? what are they??

I am barely awake enough in the morning to do my daughters hair before school, she comes into me round 8ish and ill scrape her hair back give her a goodbye kiss and her dad takes her to school!

I cant even tell anymore if its just me and the FM or if its the meds, ive tried taking them at different times, so the Ami is earlier on and not to close to bedtime, I also take Arcoxia 120mg and try to take this around the same time, and then there is the Co-codamol 30/500s, i take these through the day to keep on top of the pain, but i need these close to bedtime as the codiene helps with the RLS, and then to top it off i have Zolpidem, i used to be on 10mg, but i snap one in half so i only have 5mg. I have tried coming off the sleeper but i just cant, once i am asleep i am usually fine, but i just cannot naturally fall asleep on my own, i just need that little extra something to push me over the edge into the land of nod! If i dont take it I am awake all night.

im so fed up at the minute i feel and look so knackered all the time
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Fallen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I feel for you. I am in the same boat. I get up and the pain all over is so intense I want to crawl back to bed. I shuffle (if I have not fallen over) to the kitchen to get my meds. I then have to get ready for work at 8am. My meds are my life line, although I am on loads, but it works for me, I couldn't sustain my f/t job and studying in the evening without them. I live in hope that the pain clinic (waiting on appointment), will help with this, and dealing with the rest of the days pain. too.
Fallen
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Mornings are the worst time of day for me also.

I spend all night tossing and turning in pain, cannot stay in the same position for long and if i do i know about it! the muscles seize up and i cannot move. By the morning it feels like iv a huge hangover with the flu! My hearing us blocked, my eyesight is blurry, every muscle is rock solid, my face is all swollen, my jaw feels like iv been chomping on a brick all night, im dizzy, weak on my legs and just feel like crap!

It takes me many hours to *come round* before i feel human :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Mornings are definitely a problem, when I am going to work I get up at 5.30 am and hobble to the shower, I am usually able to walk properly after a hot shower then I take my pain meds and am ready to go, I get through the day with painkillers while at work. If its a day off I usually have a lie in until about 9 am and then get up, it does take me a while to get going though, the amount of sleep I get has a direct effect on how I feel the next day, I have discovered that I need to take my Amitriptyline by 9 pm other wise I will be drowsy the next day
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia