Flare up! Your symptoms?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare up! Your symptoms?

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 am

I've been wondering when my next flare will be as I usually have it some time during a month. Last night I said to my husband that my skin is hurting, I think thats a flare sign. This morning I'm in a flare! I'm still learning the signs which is why I noticed it. So the sore skin and also another one, painful thighs on the front are my signs. Bad fatigue could be another one but I also have CFS so could be that! I'm not going to feel too bad about it as I know it will go in a few days. Thing is, I'm planning on painting the lounge and dining room with hubby at the weekend! Oh joy!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Flare up! Your symptoms?

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Theresa34,

For me it is almost always in my hands. My joints start to hurt so bad I cannot use them properly, but for a while it was neck pain that indicated a flare for me. I know that with winter coming I am hurting a lot more with the cold. My mum always said that I kept the heating in my house too high, but now I know I was trying to combat my pain.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:23 am

My full blown symptoms didnt til Jan this year so these last few months are new to me. And it was a mild winter earlier this year. Hopefully the flare will follow its usual pattern and be done in a few days. My hips and lower back have started hurting last few days so dont know if that was a sign too. I have had some really good weeks where I felt almost normal.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm a bit of a doofus :-| and I still don't recognise an upcoming flare until I'm having one and then I think to myself "oh yeah, that's why I was feeling such-and-such" :roll:

so.. the symptoms that I think herald the arrival of a flare for me are..
* feeling very cold and unable to warm up (despite fire lit, jumper on and cocooned inside one or two blankets)
* shoulder pain getting worse (sort of shoulder blade area, especially on left side it feels almost like a stinging feeling, sometimes a buzzing sensation)
* fatigue seems to get worse
* generally more sore all over, especially joints

although I think my problem too is that I'm never quite sure when I'm flaring up or just having a bad day... :-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:13 pm

Painful ribs and exhaustion :(
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby PMKing » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Reading some of these, I wonder if I'm always in a state of flare up, the pain never subsides, nor does the coldness or other niggly bits known to be a flare up.

Seriously though, my rheumatologist reckons above may be the case for me as I have other issues that affect the FBS, consequently I never have early signs, just worsening of the symptoms.
PMKing
UKFM Member

Postby DonnaMorgan14 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm

i'm in a flare up too atm. i have had an op on my right foot to remove a lump on the sole of my foot, plus have an infection in the wound. atm my toes feel like they have been broken, i also suffer with lower back and hip pain, so because i have been putting most of my weight on my left side my left hip is in chronic pain. my right shoulder blade feels like i have a knife in it too.
i am at a low point in my life anyway because i have just lost one of my little dogs (16 yrs old) and the council are not helping much in finding us a 2 bed bungalow as i am struggling with the stairs. just feeling completely crap :too-upset:
DonnaMorgan14
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:04 pm

dazzleship wrote:I'm a bit of a doofus :-| and I still don't recognise an upcoming flare until I'm having one and then I think to myself "oh yeah, that's why I was feeling such-and-such" :roll:

so.. the symptoms that I think herald the arrival of a flare for me are..
* feeling very cold and unable to warm up (despite fire lit, jumper on and cocooned inside one or two blankets)
* shoulder pain getting worse (sort of shoulder blade area, especially on left side it feels almost like a stinging feeling, sometimes a buzzing sensation)
* fatigue seems to get worse
* generally more sore all over, especially joints

although I think my problem too is that I'm never quite sure when I'm flaring up or just having a bad day... :-?

Are you me??

I have all of the above with exception to the buzzing.

During a flare up I have to keep warm, or i end up chilled to the bone, i have not been dx with raynauds but i do get some of the classic symptoms (blue fingernails, cold hands and feet, freezing cold nose)

I find this strange as i usually dont mind the cold, I can stand extreme heat and cold, I hate being wrapped up, it makes me claustrphobic but when not in flare up i very rarely wear a coat....other parents at the school used to comment to me saying that they knew it must be getting cold if I am wearing a coat!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:56 pm

DonnaMorgan14 wrote:i am at a low point in my life anyway because i have just lost one of my little dogs (16 yrs old)
ohh Donna I just wanted to give you a :hugs: when I read about your little dog :cry: It's awful losing them. I hope you soon get help with the other problems you're having too.

TNK* wrote:Are you me??
maybe! :-)

TNK* wrote:During a flare up I have to keep warm, or i end up chilled to the bone, i have not been dx with raynauds but i do get some of the classic symptoms (blue fingernails, cold hands and feet, freezing cold nose)
you do sound like me. it's as if we let ourselves get too cold, then we can't warm up again, yes? :snowgrumpy:

interesting you mention blue fingernails - earlier today my left thumbnail was distinctly blue :shock: it's happened a couple of times before but it doesn't hurt or anything so I've never looked into what it is. and I've always had cold feet, all me life.
they're like little blocks of ice. :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 pm

dazzleship wrote:you do sound like me. it's as if we let ourselves get too cold, then we can't warm up again, yes?

Exactly this!!

OOhhhh I have a FM twin x
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 pm

I have symptoms of pain all time but when I am heading for a flare they get worse, it usually starts with burning in my feet that then spreads up my legs, sometimes it starts in my arms and hands, I have also learned not to let myself get too cold because it is really hard to warm up again
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:32 pm

DonnaMorgan14 wrote:i'm in a flare up too atm. i have had an op on my right foot to remove a lump on the sole of my foot, plus have an infection in the wound. atm my toes feel like they have been broken, i also suffer with lower back and hip pain, so because i have been putting most of my weight on my left side my left hip is in chronic pain. my right shoulder blade feels like i have a knife in it too.
i am at a low point in my life anyway because i have just lost one of my little dogs (16 yrs old) and the council are not helping much in finding us a 2 bed bungalow as i am struggling with the stairs. just feeling completely crap :too-upset:

Just wanted to say sorry to hear you have lost your little dog, It really hurts when they go :hugs:
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:50 pm

I don't really know yet. I had a flare in June, which basically felt like the flu. But because I hadn't heard about fibro then I just thought it was the flu!

On and off I've had really bad days when I'm aching and in pain all over, but it's only lasted a day. That's not a flare as such, is it?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:11 pm

TNK* wrote:OOhhhh I have a FM twin x

hi twin! :cow-wave:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi
I've not been around on here for a while but am back
I've had fibro for over 20 years and over 5 hat time my symptoms got worse and the flares closer together.
I now recognise the start of a flare as my skin becomes hyper sore to touch like my body is a big bruise and feels like things are crawling under my skin. It's quickly followed the next day with extreme tiredness like your body us made of lead .Lots of other Symptoms then quickly follow . I've found you can't fight it and have to just give in to it and rest.
I find a flare usually lasts about 1 to 2 weeks.I agree it sounds strange calling it a flare because the pain and some other symptoms never go.I haven't had a day in 10 years when I've not had pain but you do learn to live with it although it changes your life and what you can do enormously.
Sites like this are a life line for us in so many ways and like a best friend is always there no matter what.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia