NHS Workers support post

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

NHS Workers support post

Postby madchickenlady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi, after reading through several posts on here it has become clear to me that there are an awful lot of NHS staff on this site. I decided to start a post to see how many are actually here and to share your experiences if you would like to, I find it very sad that an organsation that is supposed to be looking out for the health of the nation can't even look after their own staff
I have been working for my trust for 22 years and up until 12 years ago I was very fit and healthy and very able to do my job.I was diagnosed with Fibro about 11 years ago and have been trying to keep my job ever since then, up until this year I have been bumbling along quite nicely with the episodes of sickness on and off, but this year it has been much worse culminating in 6 weeks off this year, not a lot in reality compared to some of my colleagues but too much it seems for my managers, anyway I am now waiting to go to a meeting with my manager and HR so will see what happens next
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: NHS Workers support post

Postby gizsam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Hello...madchicken lady just replied to your other post.

I am to a nurse too,19 years qualified the last 15 years in intensive care, fit and well till 5 and half years post a viral infection.

Been off sick for the last year, hell of a year my dad got sick and passed away in July.

I am now prob going for for ill health retirement got a meeting in a couple of weeks,at the age of 40.

Love to all

Cat x
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby MilYvieMum » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi, I'm a Radiographer, and Clinical Quality Manager for the NHS. I've been off sick for 11 months now. My manager has started the medical retirement process because I am unable to work at all now. Yes not hopeful as (and I quote) 'it's not a real thing, is it?'

You just can't believe that an organisation that is all about caring for people can treat its staff so badly.

I'm being sent down the medical retirement route because I have 2 written warnings for taking too much sick leave!!!

Frankly after giving the NHS more than 20 yrs of my life I'm past the point of caring. Either I get medical retirement or I get sacked for 3 written warnings. So I'm looking at being unemployable. All that plus the everlasting wait for PIP and not being entitled to a disabled badge as the criteria is 12 points and I only get 11, means stress levels are through the roof.

Got to love the NHS!

Vee
MilYvieMum
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Vee,

I am sick of it too, being bullied and warnings, i have pretty much decided that i am going to tell them on my next meeting on the 1st Dec to take ill health retirement, i am past caring too!!

I love the NHS too not they have cause me so much stress...

Cat
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:39 pm

I was a staff nurse working for the NHS but when the fibro got so bad after a fall down stairs, nothing to do with work, i decided with my manager to be discharged from my job due to ill health. Four years on i am still not well enough to go back to work. However the stress of all the meetings with HR and Occi health were making me more ill than the illness itself.

I tried for early ill health retirement but was refused after appeal because they said that my condition may improve and if it did i could go back to work in a job as a staff nurse or i could go back to work in any job. When i went 50 last year i claimed my pension early. I do not get a anywhere near a full pension but i had only paid in for 7 years when i left. Although i had paid in previously but had claimed it back when i left that job years ago.

Don't think that just because they allowing you to leave your job due to ill health that you will automatically be able to claim your pension, as the pension is nothing to do with where you work they work under very different criteria for allowing you to claim it.

I am still not well enough to return to work, in any job, but except for the stress of it all, which took about a year, although i had been off sick a number of times before i went off for the year, my manager and the people i worked with were supportive and did try and make it possible for me to return to work, but i knew i would never be able to carry out my previous job and they don't have to offer you anything else.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Tigs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Hello Everyone

I am a Technical Instructor for Childrens Therapy. I have recently been off work for just over 3 months. I am still awaiting official diagnoses but as every other test has come back clear my doctor is very sure I have Fibromyalgia (and possibly ME). I have recently been signed off for another 2 months (in the hope my hospital appointment will happen. I did have a date for this but then got a letter cancelling the appointment!). I have to date only had 1 appointment with my manager and HR, which I must admit went well and they were very supportive. But I do worry if I am still not fit to return to work after this time.

A little on my background. I worked in the fitness industry for 12yrs, I loved this job but once having my children I decided to seek work that fitted in better with them. I have always been a manic, energetic and annoyingly healthy person, but I can't put into words how Fibro has changed my life, but then I don't need to tell any of you that right :crazy: Is sooo frustrating how people treat us and the amount of disbelief we have to face....even from our work college's.....makes me wonder why some of them ever wanted to work for the NHS. We are suppose to be caring, understand and compassionate people, hence why we do the job we do right?

Anyway, that's me. Nice to have you all here, don't feel so alone now :-D :welcome:
Tigs
UKFM Newbie

Postby keirosma » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:32 am

Hi, I've worked for 39 years in the NHS in the same discipline (Scientific). I have in the past worked weekend shifts and late shifts but always based on 7.5 hour days. 5 years ago I developed Polymyalgia Rheumatica in addition to Fibromyalgia and requested a return to weekday shifts only, which my managers agreed to. My PMR resolved after 2 years but my Fibro symptoms worsened and I also had operations on my feet. I was rarely on sick leave until the foot ops even though I often had severe pains stiffness and fatigue.
Then came "Transform" and despite recommendations from Occupational Health to my Managers that my hours should stay as they were and that there was no guarantee that long shifts (12 hours) would not affect my health adversely; it was decided that I would take part in the full shift system; the only concession was that I would not be expected to do a 12 hour night shift. I now do a 12 hour shift (8-8) lone working every other weekend in another hospital over 20 miles away and regular late shifts finishing at 8:15 which upsets my sleep routine and takes me days to recover. No one in management cares and even the ones I have known through my working life are not interested in making things easier. We are chronically short of staff because of non replacement of retirees to save money. I have worked extremely hard over the years doing 100's of hours of unpaid overtime like many NHS staff, and we've gone through many changes of working practice. I feel totally let down and betrayed and am wishing my life away to retirement in 14 months time. I don't want to retire at 60 but I've been warned that even if I take my pension and come back to work, the shifts will still apply. I may have to take sick leave eventually just to recover but at present I am using annual leave just to get respite. We have to take annual leave for doctors appointments too. Sorry - a long gripe but the NHS no longer invests in it's staff, it costs too much!
keirosma
UKFM Newbie

Postby madchickenlady » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies, I find it so sad that the NHS cares so little about their staff and are willing to let people go who have given years of service not to mention the skills lost
I also get really angry when management hint that they think that Fibro isn't real, if its not real why are qualified doctors diagnosing people with an illness that doesn't exist :nono:
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Its very sad that the NHS doesnt seem to support its staff with chronic illnesses, i am going to another meeting on the 1st December, where my contract will be terminated and i start a 3 month notice period, fingers crossed i get my pension, i wont know for defo until i am in my notice period...scary times ahead, but i have had enough of the stress and meetings x
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby Andyp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:42 pm

I also work for the NHS - as an admin support officer. I was diagnosed with fibro about a year ago, after around 3 years of constant pain following surgery to remove kidney stones.

I took a month off work in July, as I was feeling completely knackered. I'm now back at work full time, but still feel tired all the time - but at the same time find it very difficult to get a good night of sleep.

I also suffer from depression, which has been made worse by this condition.

I'm not sure if my manager really gets it when I tell them that I'm constantly tired.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby scotsgirl » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I work for the nhs too. i am a nursing assistant on an acute psychiatric ward.

i've had fibro for 13 years but was only diagnosed 3 years ago. i was recently referred to occupational health after being off sick. the report made certain recommendations....not working more than 6 days at a time, no more than 2 early shifts together and i respond better to working nights. management being management ignored the above and tried to reduce my hours. i can't afford to work part time, wish i could though. i managed to hold onto my fulltime post ny the skin of my teeth. i've been banned for nights for 6 months as there is less staff on nights and management were concerned about my ability to restrain patients. the fact that i've been doing it in my current job for 1o years and 25 years in the nhs obviously escaped them.

sometimes if a patient is suicidal, aggressive etc we have to do what we call obs which means we are with that patient all the time. on friday my line manager spoke to me informally saying that 2 staff had complained that i dozed ioff for a couple of seconds. fair enough but i've now stopped my pregabalin as one of the side effects is drowsiness.

i'm currently on annual leave and due back on the 11th. i'm not looking forward to it as i feel i'm being punished for having fibro. i've made it clear that i will refuse any further occupational health regerrals. the nhs does nothing to help or support it's staff in any way
scotsgirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby gizsam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 pm

The NHS certainly dont support staff, my contract was terminated today, i wont know if i get my pension until end of Jan, my notice period runs out on the 22nd Feb,so now working out what to put on the pension application form.

The manager who came to serve my notice and to formally terminate my contract asked how i felt ....lets say i didnt hold back on what i thought of the trust :crazy: ...i felt better afterwards :lol:
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby scotsgirl » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 pm

sorry to hear your news

what i've learnt now is not to be honest, show no weakness and never ask for help. i have promised myself that if i have to leave then i go very public about how unsupportive the nhs is.......
scotsgirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby gizsam » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks Scotsgirl.....i am really not dealing with it very well at the minute....just spent the last 2 days writing an impact statement and printing loads of information about my conditions , so whoever is processing my application will have lots of reading to do and will be gemmed up on s*** this illness is.....so it is a waiting game now, i went and handed the form back directly to the person dealing with it in HR, so now its off to occy health, then to the pension agency, so i prob wont here till end of Jan.
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby scotsgirl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:34 pm

one of the worst things about fibro is trying to explain it to other people. we all know it can change hourly. hope everything works out for you

i'm really struggling with fatigue just now. and i don't know what to do. play it down when i return to work on thursday? or go see my gp about getting sometime off work. but if i have any time off that will be used against me especially at this time of year ( i had xmas and new year off last year due to a fractured elbow). i just feel that there are no right choices left only wrong ones.
scotsgirl
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia