Sweats or hot flushes?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sweats or hot flushes?

Postby Shakenache » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 am

I've had hot flushes for about four years and being peri-menopausal I kind of accepted them as a normal hormonal thing. I think I'm fully at menopause now and recently they have got much worse. I had one the other day where I was literally dripping, there was actually a puddle on the table where my arm had been resting and I can actually steam up car windows, not just the one closest to me but all of them... within moments!

This is becoming impossible to endure. I have read that Fibro can mess up your inner thermostat and cause sweating too but how can I tell which is the underlying cause? If Fibro is behind it there's no point witing for menopausal flushes to end. Is there anything to stop it? i've tried sage leaf and herbal solution for menopausal flushes, been on them for months but not much success with them so far.

Getting desperate!
Shakenache
UKFM Newbie

Re: Sweats or hot flushes?

Postby debsmj » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

Hi, I suffer terrible Sweats its embarrassing some times it just drips of me and my glasses steam up, my GP is great and she gave me a perscription for Oxybutynin tablets they worked great I call the my little miracles, there was a couple of side effects so we just reduced the amount taken. Hope this helps. :-) Debs. xx
debsmj
UKFM Newbie

Postby debsmj » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

Gentle hugs. xx
Last edited by debsmj on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
debsmj
UKFM Newbie

Postby katherine244 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am

That's interesting debsmj because I went to the doctor about this and got the usual "there's nothing we can do" response!!
katherine244
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 am

Oh God I so get where you are coming from, ive been having them for about a year, have been on two different H.R.T tabs, but came off them because there was no change, then Doc put me on Catapres which is supposed to help, but no change neither, I know im going through the menopause so doc is putting it down to that but who knows.

I might check out these oxybutynin and ask for a prescription, I would just love a decent nights sleep, but the sweats is also creeping in through the day. I have been taking zinc tabs over the last 2 weeks and have had a couple of nights of it not being so bad and will take them for a wee bit longer hoping they might work.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby jacnew » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:52 am

I actually went to my GP yesterday about my sweating, it has got worse to the point I pour sweat at the slightest change in temperature, evenot having a hot drink will trigger me off. I'm very lucky as I have an understanding doctor and she has prescribed me with Driclor solution which inhibits the sweat glands, it's mainly used at nights but can be used during the day. Last night was my first use so until later I am unable to comment on its effectiveness. Hope this helps.xx
jacnew
UKFM Newbie

Postby nogginpodge » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:30 am

I've had Fibro for 18 years and am hot nearly all the time. The slightest exertion produces sweat running down my face, wetting my fringe, steaming up my glasses and yes, I steam up a car within seconds! At first I thought it was the menopause but since I am now 14 years post-menopausal I know it can't be that. I did suffer with hot sweats during the menopause (spent about 2 years with a wet T-towel round my neck) but these were different; accompanied by a horrible sinking feeling.

Then I thought the sweating was due to my medication, (I was on dihydrocodeine). Having stopped these due to side effects, I am still stuck with the sweating so I know its the illness itself. I find it very annoying and tiring to sweat so much. I didn't know anything was available to help but will now ask my G.P.
nogginpodge
UKFM Newbie

Postby nogginpodge » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:30 am

I've had Fibro for 18 years and am hot nearly all the time. The slightest exertion produces sweat running down my face, wetting my fringe, steaming up my glasses and yes, I steam up a car within seconds! At first I thought it was the menopause but since I am now 14 years post-menopausal I know it can't be that. I did suffer with hot sweats during the menopause (spent about 2 years with a wet T-towel round my neck) but these were different; accompanied by a horrible sinking feeling.

Then I thought the sweating was due to my medication, (I was on dihydrocodeine). Having stopped these due to side effects, I am still stuck with the sweating so I know its the illness itself. I find it very annoying and tiring to sweat so much. I didn't know anything was available to help but will now ask my G.P.
nogginpodge
UKFM Newbie

Postby looeboy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 am

Me too hot flushes galore. Not PMT or Menopause though because I'm a MALE 61 with Fibro. No answers or remedies for me either.
looeboy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Amberk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:38 am

I get them too, and not sure if its the menopause either!:like you said it is extremely embarrassing.
I clearly need to go to doctors, I'm on the pill injection so wasn't sure at all but I forgot to go to app and had a period so it must be the fibro.
I also thought it could have been my meds, but aft er reading this from you I guess it is caused by fibro.
Hope you're ok and you've cleared this up for me. As sometimes sone affects are hard to tell to folk.
Well wishes x
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:08 pm

I don't actually sweat, but I massively overheat. And it lasts for days. It was the very first symptom I got and yet everyone (GPs, rheumo, pain clinic) are all convinced it's not related to fibro!

I find I even got boiling hot at 6 degrees sometimes, although other times I have actually been cold (this winter, not the last one). But it's one of the most annoying symptoms because if I go back to work, I am going to be stuck in an office with people who are cold!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rick31797 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I am MALE, 58 yrs old, and when i first got Fm, this was 1996, there were times that i would get these hot flashes....i would be just sitting at the table doing nothing and i would start to get very hot and sweat.. my shirt would be wet... this lasted about 20 mins or so and maybe a couple times a week. there was no warning, it just happened.. I think that lasted for a few years, i don't get them anymore..

What happens now is i just sweat very easy, my dr says i am out of shape, well i know that, but i know this is apart of the illness.. i can do very little work and i have to change my shirt, i also get some shortness of breath...Anything very strenuous, and i feel like i am going to collapse, i start to pant like a dog..lol cant get my breath...Pretty sad, i am not over weight.. just this illness, takes your strength and stamina.

So the good new, this may just leave you and you will still have the hot flashes but not dripping wet.
rick31797
UKFM Newbie

Postby Puggers » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Shakenache I'm sorry to your suffering so badly with hot flushes I know exactly how you feel as I've been having severe flushes for well over a year now as I have severe fibro & I had to have my ovaries removed (long story but not fun at 32 but oh well). They were so bad I didn't want to leave the house & I was constantly soaked (I know it sounds like an exaggeration but anyone who is going through the same thing will no exactly what I'm talking about), nothing had worked no matter what I did & even the hrt didn't help.

A few months ago my doctor put me on 'Dixarit' tablets (I had to start on a low dose but they were increased after a month & they helped a bit & the doctor also advised me to try 'Evening Primrose Oil' too & both together have made s big difference in my life instead of getting hot flushes every 10mins I now only get the odd one a few times a day & some days I don't get any (obviously it takes a few weeks for them to get into your body & you start on a low dose that may need increasing but it's definitely worth trying). I appreciate that not everything works for everyone but even if it only helps one person then I'd be happy as I often read posts on this forum & people's comments help me.

I hope things get better for you all xxx
Puggers
UKFM Newbie

Postby Angie Baby » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi everyone, I've been suffering from hot flushes and I thought it was my medications so I've gradually stopped taking my codeine. My Fibromyalgia has been really bad and I don't have to do anything and I'm wet through just by getting dressed. When I have a shower I'm exhausted and sweating that much that I could do with another shower. I'm 51 so it could have something to do with the menopause. I just wished it would stop. At this time of year I don't want the heating on but my husband Al feels the cold. So I have to not wear a lot of clothes. Even typing this I can feel the beads of sweat on my forehead and the sweat running down my face. It looks like it's a cold shower for me tonight. :-(. :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug:
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:21 am

I am 48 have had sweats on and off for about 3 years.
Right now it is at its worst. Soak through bedding and 3 changes of night wear per night.
It is mainly at night, but i can also get them while washing dishes, or just after bath/showers.
It crossed my mind it may be menopausal, but i have read posts from men with the same symptoms. I don't know if they experience a version of menopause or not.
Ginger in herbal teas makes it worse.
If i swap my quilt to a summer quilt weight it is not so bad.
I now believe it is the fibro and it relate s to an erratic shift in the body thermostat trying to correct itself.
At the start of my fibro i was constantly cold and only a hot bath would help.

Remember to replace the minerals salt and water lost. It will add to your misery if you don't.
morette5
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia