Sweats or hot flushes?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Sweats or hot flushes?

Postby Jo90 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm post menopausal and have been suffering hot flushes for about 8yrs! I suffer from anxiety too and this increased 10 fold when I felt a flush coming on. I read an article recently about what the experts take themselves and a gynocologist said that she takes DHEA, something I've never heard of before. I googled it, thought I'd try it, then had to order it off the internet. It came from America but was cheap for a 10mg dose (just over £4 for 30 tablets). Well, the results for me have been wonderful. I have energy again and very few hot flushes after being plagued by them. It's a God's send! you should consult a physician, apparently, before taking it but my own GP had never heard of it so he wasn't much help!
Jo90
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:54 pm

After reading some of the comments on this issue I made an appointment with my GP last Friday and asked him about the oxybutynin that Debs said stopped her sweats, Doc asked how I knew these are supposed to work for sweating because he never heard of it before and are for bladder incontinence.

He googled it and wehey he said im right, he also said he could not prescribe me them for sweating so I told him I am constantly running to the loo and up loads through the night..so he prescribed me them, off I skipped to the chemist getting excited about having a great sleep....3 nights and still waiting!! lol.. :crazy:
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 am

Diane64 wrote:After reading some of the comments on this issue I made an appointment with my GP last Friday and asked him about the oxybutynin that Debs said stopped her sweats, Doc asked how I knew these are supposed to work for sweating because he never heard of it before and are for bladder incontinence.

He googled it and wehey he said im right, he also said he could not prescribe me them for sweating so I told him I am constantly running to the loo and up loads through the night..so he prescribed me them, off I skipped to the chemist getting excited about having a great sleep....3 nights and still waiting!! lol.. :crazy:

What dose did he prescribe and have you had side effects please? Hope you get some relief soon x
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:48 am

debsmj wrote:Hi, I suffer terrible Sweats its embarrassing some times it just drips of me and my glasses steam up, my GP is great and she gave me a perscription for Oxybutynin tablets they worked great I call the my little miracles, there was a couple of side effects so we just reduced the amount taken. Hope this helps. :-) Debs. xx

Hi what dose did you start on, and what were the side effects please, have the side effects stopped now that you lowered the dose? What did she lower the dose to? Thanks x
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:32 am

I was at the point my jeans and tops would be wet through from the water running down me. After spending 2 weeks of either in the tub or having half an our between fresh clothes and being soaked again I went to the Dr.

The Dr put me on HRT. My last period was at 40 but the sweats and hot flashes didn't start for a few years after. After about 10 days on meds I noticed a welcoming difference.

Now then, about the same time I was put on Fentanyl patches. One Side effect is sweating heavily. I also got thyroid cancer at the same time, a symptom was sweating heavily.

The sweating had got somewhat better with the HRT but not all gone. Dr was confused with it.

I am being weaned off Fentanyl, which will take months. Once the Fentanyl is gone we shall see if the perspiration leaves also. If so, the HRT will be stopped. If not then we investigate further.

Sweats can be caused by many things, menopause, meds, the fibro or things undetermined in ourselves yet. Don't suffer too much longer, there are meds to control it, once the caused is found. A visit to your Dr is in order. Make sure he explores all avenues.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby sam311268 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:54 pm

I too have been having hog flushes for months. I have only just been diagnosed with Fibro but the sweats have been very embarrassing over the last few months. I am a phlebotomist and have had sweat drip off mw whilst taking someone's blood, luckily it did drip on me. I haven't mentioned it to the doctors as I didn't think they could help.
sam311268
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazak » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 pm

hi all

i'm so glad i'm not the only one that gets embarassed on a daily basis with sweat dripping from every pore, and its not the normal ooh i'm a bit hot and perspire alittle. i was prescribed pro-banthine which works but with side effects, it not only dries up ur sweat glands but also ur sailva and on a hot day it doesn't matter how much u drink ur tongue still sticks to the roof of ur mouth, but even that is better than the horrid sweats.
even now i am here with a pedestal fan on but on my feet i have thermal socks on, some new fab feet warmers and uggs just to keep my body at a comfortable temp.
gud luck all.
kazak
UKFM Member

Postby rick31797 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Did any of the women here, that are getting hot flashes, related to menopause, ever have there Estrogen and testosterone checked... I am hearing low Testosterne can cause the hot flashes to be worse..
rick31797
UKFM Newbie

Postby Diane64 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi there, Moomoos I take 5 mg daily, don't think im having any side effects, but still having sweats, thinking of upping them to 10mg or maybe wait a wee bit longer to see if they are going to work.

Rick yea im going through the menopause and had my hormone levels checked, but have tried two H.R.T tabs with no difference.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby PMKing » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

rick31797 wrote:I am MALE, 58 yrs old, and when i first got Fm, this was 1996, there were times that i would get these hot flashes....i would be just sitting at the table doing nothing and i would start to get very hot and sweat.. my shirt would be wet... this lasted about 20 mins or so and maybe a couple times a week. there was no warning, it just happened.. I think that lasted for a few years, i don't get them anymore..

What happens now is i just sweat very easy, my dr says i am out of shape, well i know that, but i know this is apart of the illness.. i can do very little work and i have to change my shirt, i also get some shortness of breath...Anything very strenuous, and i feel like i am going to collapse, i start to pant like a dog..lol cant get my breath...Pretty sad, i am not over weight.. just this illness, takes your strength and stamina.

So the good new, this may just leave you and you will still have the hot flashes but not dripping wet.

I'm Male, 48 and was finally diagnosed in 1996 and have sweats most of the time, My Good Lady reckons you can cook eggs on me I'm that hot. 1 Dr reckoned it was due to diabetes, well I am diabetic but we knew my glucose levels are ok so it ain't that. Not this is a phenomenon that has occurred in the last couple of years or so. It is unfortunately par for the course as they say.
PMKing
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia