Does anyone keep a diary?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does anyone keep a diary?

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:47 pm

As part of my course we have to do actions each week, and as I write anyway I thought it might be a good idea to keep a diary about my fibroquest (copyright Fluppy!). I'm hoping it means I don't splurge/rant at my partner quite as often :oops:

Does anyone else do this? I started today and got some thoughts down, eventually I might share some of it with family/friends so they have a better idea than from the internet/leaflets. But that depends how good it is I guess!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Does anyone keep a diary?

Postby Gracious » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:35 pm

I try to journal most days, subject to how goods my hands are and what I need them to do for me each day. Some entries longer than others. It lets me reflect on whats going on in my head and the tone and content on whats written helps me to see if I am being overly negative, sad, depressed, critical etc. If I find it overly critical it lets me know I need to look after myself more and attend to the true issues.

I centre my journal around my (TEAMS) which stands for Thoughts, Emotions, Associations (rules, links, compartives etc), Memories and Sensations. Tuning into these five areas helps me to establish a better awareness of whats going on in my internal world (Mind) and work with it, instead of it overwhelming me and causing anxiety, stress, tension, upset, anger etc. Which we get in spades when you have Fibro.

Journalling has really helped me work with the secondary suffering aspect we get from being in constant physical pain, with ever changeable symptoms.

What I would watch out for, is a diary/journal that turns into a moan fest. This will only lead to more distress. One of the reasons I structured mine round (TEAMS). Some people use there diary/journal to list things their grateful for or happy moments etc.

Diaries/journals that are structured to help not hinder are what I would always suggest.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks Gracious, that sounds a very interesting and structured way of doing things!

In some ways I won't mind if it turns into what you call a "moan fest", as it is my way of getting those exact type of thoughts out of my head and onto paper. If I avoid writing that stuff down then it will just stay in my head, and that's not what the purpose of this exercise is (for me).
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Duirra » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:19 pm

I keep a journal and write each thing I did that day, changes in medication, and if I am feeling notably worse or better. Did I finally answer that e-mail? Did I talk to anyone? Did I get any exercise? Did I actually do any of the household chores? Generally, I can tell how well I've been by how much I've written. When I only write a sentence or two I think, "Oh, I must not have been feeling as well as I thought I was."

I Keep track of my period that way, and I can flip back to when I last did a dosage change to a medication and track to see if it's made a difference or not. I have found it very helpful over the years.
Duirra
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Zia what I mean by moan fest is, instead of just consistently saying, I am angry at this and that, or pee'd off with this one and that, I use (TEAMS) to help me get a clearer idea of the issues that I feel strongly about and in doing so, can decide if what I am doing, thinking, feeling etc is unhelpful. The human mind can conjure and churn out a lot unhelpful and helpful stuff.

I want to know what is helpful and hold on to that and let go of whats not helpful. So if I see a bit of a rant coming into my journaling, its a little red flag to use (TEAMS) to get a clearer picture of whats going on in my mind and body, why something in my life is making me ruminate and is it something I can sort out, if not what could I do to let go my struggle with it.

It brings a positive constructive use to my journaling.

There are loads of different ways people journal and diary, no one way if right or wrong, but if your going to put the effort into it, wouldn't it be good if its in someway helpful and brings about a positive and practical addition to your life.

I've journalled for 24 years, in that time my style and content have changed. When I read back some of my earlier loggings, its so sad to see that for a good majority of my early years the screeds and screeds of writing/moaning only resulted in more distress and no gains.

I still moan in my journal, but within the framework of TEAMS. It helps me personally from falling into the trap of my moaning, self pitying, depressive mind and brings a postive struture and solution to my internal stresses.

Duirra I also do daily to do list, with journaling, only way I can keep track of what I need to do or get, otherwise I forget. But I love the feeling of scoring off what I managed to achieve, nice feel good factor. Like you it also lets me know when I have had a bad day and I can look into what I did leading up, to see if there are triggers.

Journals/daries aren't everyones cup of tea. In the end we do what suits our needs and desires .

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I've done the diary keeping/journalling thing at various times over the years. I use the TEAMS~type approach to it like Gracious does, partly to make sure I get the relevant stuff down that I need to, but also because it fills my need for structure and organisation, something I used to have when working, and still want/need each day still.

The one I'm currently doing is in relation to having to start taking meds for Diabetes, and is very different in style to how I used to write things down.

When I first started with a symptom diary, every single thing would go down in it every day, and at times an entry for one day would stretch to 5~6~7 A4~sized pages. Not all of it would be relevant but at the time was the only way I could safely get things out. Gradually the less relevant things have been left out and now I just tend to include what has been significant/important to me thru the day.

My actual style of writing has changed too. At first everything was very rigid and technical, and punctually/grammatically correct with all the correct medical terms where appropriate etc. Now tho, it's much more relaxed, even amusing at times, which seems to reflect in how I am about the various things I juggle with each day, well for a good part of the time any way. Even Kevin features in it, he's replaced the technical/medical terminology in a lot of instances, which changes being attributed to his behaviour/mood/angsty attitude, as well as changes in symptoms/problems. So when my glucose levels are climbing, it's a case of Kevin deciding that I need to be a lot sweeter, and when they are reducing, he's decided I need a little more tartness about me.

Bonkers.....probably, but it works for me :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby morette5 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 pm

I cannot remember why i'm crossing the room half the time.
Diary, no chance.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 pm

Mine will be relaxed without a structure, because that's my style. I've had to keep them before for uni and personally. I have a separate document for meds, dates, appts etc.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby NiceConversations » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:16 am

I have a sleep diary, track changes in mood and pain, have a diary for medications, have a document where I update treatments, consultants etc.

I used to write more free text as well, but have changed my approach.

One therapists I have been seeing mentioned that it is all about finding a balance. It is important to "get to know yourself", find out triggers, what helps, what makes things worse etc and keep track of things. On the other hand, keeping a diary can also become all-consuming and drain energy.

I found that sometimes writing felt more like a chore and didn't really do me any good and I have been trying to find a good medium. My life is more than the illnesses I have, so I don't want to put more energy into it than what will help me in some ways.
NiceConversations
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia