DRIVING LICENCE - disability discounts on road tax

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DRIVING LICENCE - disability discounts on road tax

Postby Jazzijac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:42 pm

hi
I have been given std rare disability and mobility through PIP

it says discount on road tax 50% however you need to complete a medical form for your licence
Has anyone done this and found they are refused a licence this is my concern

I can still drive but only do it on very good days and when my medication is not tramadol or high dose pain killers
Or I have had a few good days I don't go far but I am concerned on how dvla treat fibro

Also what about insurance I have recently been diagnosed.

Any info would help me
Jazzijac
UKFM Member

Re: DRIVING LICENCE - disability discounts on road tax

Postby zoomie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi, I'm std rate for both and didn't know this so am also interested in replies! :)
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:51 am

I have higher rate so was giveñ free road tax, it isnt añything to do with your licence its car tax. Dr hasn't said anything about me driving, sorry can't help.
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby Mandyunicorns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:26 am

Hi,
I've just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have a few other disabilities too. I had to have a driving assessment when I got my enhanced rate of PIP and I had to inform DVLA of my Fibro. I have been waiting a month now and no response so far but I will certainly let you know of the outcome when it arrives. I have everything crossed as I don't want to loose my independence :(
Mandy
Mandyunicorns
UKFM Newbie

Postby awindup » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:49 am

Ok... there are two things here . Firstly you have an obligation to notify dvla when you have certain illnesses and take certain medications or drugs. So many people don't know that even suicidal thoughts can get you a six month ban. You have to tell your insurance company everything !! Anything that's likely to be an affect on your driving for more than a few days can be assessed as a risk. The good news is that honesty can buy you assurance. Don't tell you're insurance you take tramadol and when you crash they will find out and not pay up! See the direct.gov website and dvla for details. As for insurance the only company that insures you whatever the illness or drugs is motability as their only stipulation is that you're not affected (including adapted car etc) then ad long as your doc says it's ok you can still drive fully insured . If it's on the dvla list though you have to. Funny thing is when people get stopped for possession of marijuana they shouldn't drive for 6 months after last drag and yet they drive as soon as the police give them a ticket and bog off!! Each to their own and it's your conscience but I've been through a couple of "time outs" and now I have motability car and letters from doc.
awindup
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08 pm

hi

I've found the link which lists all the illnesses you need to notify DVLA about

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

fibro isn't on there :-) but I suppose if you're taking medication that could affect you then you'd need to check?

I honestly don't know for sure, as this thread is the first I've heard of any of it. so I went looking for the link just to make sure fibro wasn't one of the notifiable ones.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52 pm

As said above its more the medication than the illness as even cold and flu remedies can affect your responses so it pays to be careful and honest as if an insurance company can get out of paying because of a clause they will
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia