Face Pain/Tooth Ache.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Face Pain/Tooth Ache.

Postby becbob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Over the last few days the pain in one tooth is becoming unbearable. The pain has spread up one side of my face and I can feel it in my eye and temple. It's a real throbbing pressure type of pain. I know that there is technically nothing wrong with my teeth or gums as I always visit a dentist regularly and only saw her a few weeks ago. I suffer big time with muscle tightness and my jaw is usually clamped tight. My kids have been moaning alot lately about me grinding my teeth all night when they sleep in with me.
Any way at the moment I have added some Ibuprofen to my normal meds and I have some Anbesol and Orajel but the effects only last for a few minutes. Has anybody got any help or advice please.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Re: Face Pain/Tooth Ache.

Postby aziriphale » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I would go see your dentist again just incase, could be an abscess coming up also if you grind your teeth that could of caused some problems and i think your dentist should be able to give you some advice about it

if the dentist gives you the all clear go see your doctor, you can get tooth pain with heartburn and it also could be a problem with your actually heart so please get checked out just to be on the safe side
aziriphale
UKFM Member

Postby MilYvieMum » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Ask you dentist for a mouth guard for when you sleep. Also try only a soft diet for a while and the most difficult thing, learn to yawn with your mouth closed.

10 years of this pain, referred by the dentist to MaxFacs. Given a harder gum shield and the advice above. It's not perfect but it's better.
MilYvieMum
UKFM Member

Postby daisies » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm

I suffer the same problems, I have 2 things wrong, the first is TMJ which is treated by the dentist this can cause discomfort and can click when you eat and grind your teeth when asleep, the dentist has given me a mouth shield to help with this.

I also have Trigeminal neuralgia this is the nerve by the joint of your jaw and feeds the nerves which travel over your eyebrow and down your face and branch out, best look it up, I have to take medication for this every day as it is very painful. When this started it felt like an electric shock so I asked me dentist to take my wisdom tooth out but made no difference.

Hope this helps.
daisies
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I get this too. Was convinced I had some sort of tooth infection a few months ago. Have been boycotting the dentist as was scared so could very easily have had an infection! Turns out I didn't. I do grind my teeth although she says there isn't a lot of noticeable damage. I agree with the above, soft diet and put your fist underneath your jaw to stop yourself yawning wide. Those were the two things the dentist told me to do. They helped for a while although I think maybe I have diverted from the soft diet a bit… And that might be why my pain is back…
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:11 am

Yes, me too. I used various things, a nasal decongestant and anti-biotics. This was linked to eyes also (ENT). Pain killers and plenty of steaming baths got me too hot causing back of neck and base of skull pain.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 am

You have my sympathy. I was like this for a solid 18 months, despite going to the GP and dentist several times with the problem. I had X-rays etc and got referred to a dental hospital. However, shortly before my first appointment I visited the dentist again and lo and behold she discovered a cracked filling which she swore wasn't there before - treated that and guess what - pain gone. Keep on at them until they get it sorted - don't be like me and have 18 months of hell.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia